PDA

View Full Version : April Entry: [Region 1][Map 06][City 02] - Harbour Keep

Korba
04-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Just a place holder, i haven't tried a city map before but i enjoyed last months contest. I'm going to try and create a harbor fortress perhaps guarding a canal linking the two lakes. Al subject for change of course :)

Korba

Korba
04-13-2009, 09:11 AM
I have spent a few hours working on this town inspired by this picture:

I'm thinking a trading port and market town where animals are the main goods for trade so the fortified wall encloses the important animal shelters. There is a mixture of round houses and square buildings down by a dock (obviously!) and a small fortified 'castle' on top of the hill.

Not sure where i'm going in terms of style but it has been fun so far :)

### Latest WIP ###

NeonKnight
04-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Looking good!

Gandwarf
04-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Yeah, very nice so far.

I like the picture you posted for inspiration, by the way. Where did you find it? And is that smoke in the middle?

I love this months challenge. So many towns :D
I feel almost bad I didn't enter myself.

industrygothica
04-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Yeah, very nice so far.

I like the picture you posted for inspiration, by the way. Where did you find it? And is that smoke in the middle?

I love this months challenge. So many towns :D
I feel almost bad I didn't enter myself.

There is still more than enough time...

-IG

Gandwarf
04-13-2009, 07:13 PM
There is still more than enough time...
-IG

True that, but I promised myself I wouldn't map for a while. I need to get some writing done :D

Korba
04-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah, very nice so far.

I like the picture you posted for inspiration, by the way. Where did you find it?

I did a Google image search for viking towns but i can't seem to find it again now.

I have had a little bit of time to work on some textures for the map but nothing i'm happy with yet but some progress is better than no progress :)

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
04-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Agreed on the "progress" tip...like those hills too. So far so good.

Korba
04-17-2009, 04:50 PM

First test on roads and buildings with thanks to pyrandon for his tutorial.

Still not really happy with any of it but i'm going away next week and any new technique learned no matter how bad i am at it is useful.

### Latest WIP ###

Albrechtw4
04-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Looking at your last map the whole town seems to sit in a basin. I see a potential flooding problem. What I think would be real interesting if you have time to do it would be to look up some pictures of "land reclamation" on google. Especially the North Sea coast (Netherlands, Belgium) and for some really wacky examples, Dubai.

Valarian
04-18-2009, 06:18 AM
I hate to point this out now, but Harbour Keep is on the Akron map also (as it fit inside that square (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Project_Overview)) and the interpretation is a little different. On that map, it's located on a peninsula that juts out in to the channel linking in inland bay with the open sea. That's contradictory to the Thanelands map interpretation of a land bridge cutting a lake off from the sea. It's a really good map though.

industrygothica
04-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Perhaps this map was done by a Sherldon cartographer?

Personally, I think the different interpretations from two separate regions is classic stuff, and something that should be dutifully exploited in the wiki as to why one region would want to map an open bay, and another a landlocked lake.

My .02 is all...

-IG

Korba
04-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Bother...

Not sure what I'm going to do now. If i have time to do any more work on the map i will try and find a different location on a map that fits. Will see what happens :)

Korba

NeonKnight
04-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Perhaps this map was done by a Sherldon cartographer?

Personally, I think the different interpretations from two separate regions is classic stuff, and something that should be dutifully exploited in the wiki as to why one region would want to map an open bay, and another a landlocked lake.

My .02 is all...

-IG

You know, Industrygothica has hit it on the head in my opinion. I always felt the CGWP was better played not to have a 'uniform' world equivalent to earth and all it's modern mapping, but more like Earth maps during the age of Discovery. A savy traveller knew there would difference between one cartographer's map and those of another ;)

industrygothica
04-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Bother...

Not sure what I'm going to do now. If i have time to do any more work on the map i will try and find a different location on a map that fits. Will see what happens :)

Korba

You know, Industrygothica has hit it on the head in my opinion. I always felt the CGWP was better played not to have a 'uniform' world equivalent to earth and all it's modern mapping, but more like Earth maps during the age of Discovery. A savy traveller knew there would difference between one cartographer's map and those of another ;)

And in that regard, Korba, I beg of you to please finish this map as you see fit! Goodness, this could be but just the beginning of a fantastic underlying story; it'd be a shame to let such an intriguing plot twist go to waste!

-IG

Valarian
04-28-2009, 09:52 AM
The City Council have discovered a foul plot of the Thane of Sherldon, obviously hatched in order to halt our fine city's trade altogether. A map of the Bay of Akron distributed by cartographers of Sherldon show a land bridge closing the straits. These false maps would, of course, never bear up when viewing the reality of the straits. However, the City Council of Akron recognises that they may bear a threat to the city livelihood. Therefore, the Council decrees that these false maps shall be destroyed. Any person knowingly distributing the maps of Sherldon shall be fined 3 crowns.

I agree, please proceed with mapping the city. The start was too good to miss. The difference between the regional maps for the world could be interesting. I agree with IG, it's too good a plot device to pass up.

On the map, I must admit to liking the map on post #7 more than the later post #9.
The lighter shading and clearer colours stand out better for me.

Korba
04-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Thank you for your support to continue.

I have started again on the land and sea texture thanks (again!) to one of Ascensions tutorials (even deeper in rep debt).

I'm quite pleased with it as a base layer now and will try building up. Valarian, i agree with you but i forgot how i made the hills like that, i will try that tomorrow night hopefully to recreate.

### Latest WIP ###

industrygothica
04-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Thank you for your support to continue.

I have started again on the land and sea texture thanks (again!) to one of Ascensions tutorials (even deeper in rep debt).

I'm quite pleased with it as a base layer now and will try building up. Valarian, i agree with you but i forgot how i made the hills like that, i will try that tomorrow night hopefully to recreate.

### Latest WIP ###

Looks good so far, but your buildings are looking a bit blurry and you've got some tiling going on with the sea layer.

-IG