PDA

View Full Version : April Entry: [Region 1][Map 11][Town ?] City of Edram

Ascension
04-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Placeholder for my entry. It figures that I pick a city not on the map of Akron so I have free reign as long as it's a port city. Muahahaha. Eeeeexcellent. If anyone actually has the location of this city on a map or any other info, I'd certainly appreciate it :) If no one knows where this place is I guess I could always switch up and do Karthis.

Valarian
04-10-2009, 03:33 AM
The City of Edram was on the Kouver Islands map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=21155&postcount=15) as it fit in to the next square. I made reference to it in my map and carried on the client settlements.

Ascension
04-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks, man. I'll get cracking tonight.

industrygothica
04-10-2009, 09:40 AM
At this point I'd call Kouver Islands abandoned anyway since there hasn't been any activity on it in almost a year; you could probably get away with taking on the whole area if you wanted to.

Of course, the powers that be might have a differing viewpoint...

-IG

*EDIT* I see from another thread that doing an area map is not allowed for this challenge, so scratch the above statement. ;)

Ascension
04-11-2009, 12:35 AM
Spent a few hours painting this up in Photoshop; similar to my more recent stuff and less like my old stuff. Since this is meant to be a city-state at the tip of a peninsula I asked myself "What makes them a seat of power?" I figured that they'd have quite a large navy, and a fleet of merchant ships to boot, and this provides them with the money, power, and influence. The lands to the north seem kind of sparse (or possibly farmlands, I don't really know much about the area) so the overland trade would funnel into just a couple of roads...a coastal road and a road into the interior. Since cities are rarely formed just on a beach I added a river and a shielded harbor to protect the ships. I could go and make this a full on Venice-type city but haven't made up my mind on that just yet since I don't want it to be that obvious. The citadel sits upon a hill overlooking everything to the horizon and makes it quite a formidable place. These roads are nowhere near done nor finalized; they're just there to get me started thinking about the layout and planning.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
04-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Put the main avenues in and some walls and turrets, started mocking up the building styles as well.

Gandwarf
04-12-2009, 09:19 AM
I would leave it like this and just call it done ;)

Ascension
04-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Put in the docks, wharves, a circus maximus, coliseum, amphitheater, university, cathedral, monastery, trees, bushes, triremes, galleys, catapults, ballistas, inns, barracks, and I'm not sure what else. Spent most of the day drawing these things and lots of rotating of the copies...tedious, especially the docks and wharves. Still working on the unique buildings then I'll do up the industry buildings.
### Latest WIP ###

Baziron
04-13-2009, 04:27 AM
At this point I'd call Kouver Islands abandoned anyway since there hasn't been any activity on it in almost a year; [...])

You might just be right about that. Sorry I've been such a dissappointment, both in terms of personal involvement and mapping ability.

And yet, I like to see that something from there gets chosen, and it's looking so good this far. :)
So maybe I'll find the motivation to go ahead with the overall, not close up, map, so it can actually be worked into the cwbp proper.

Gandwarf
04-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Wow Ascension, you have gotten yourself into a pretty large project :)
The buildings are looking good so far.

industrygothica
04-13-2009, 09:13 AM
You might just be right about that. Sorry I've been such a dissappointment, both in terms of personal involvement and mapping ability.

And yet, I like to see that something from there gets chosen, and it's looking so good this far. :)
So maybe I'll find the motivation to go ahead with the overall, not close up, map, so it can actually be worked into the cwbp proper.

That'd be a wonderful thing to see.

-IG

Steel General
04-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Coming along nicely Oh Ascendant One, almost looks like a CC3 map. :)

Ascension
04-13-2009, 07:51 PM
SG - Yeah I was trying to put more of a hand-drawn style to this. It's pretty much my usual stuff but I brightened up the colors and added a stroke. My hand is far too shaky to draw straight lines and my tablet has hair trigger sensitivity that I have yet to tweak (my lines wiggle just because my heartbeat causes that slight pulse twitch and the tablet picks it up and magnifies it). I'll turn it down one of these days.

Ascension
04-14-2009, 02:06 AM
Tonight's work: got the nobles in and the row houses, which took most of the time as I went thru about 5 different processes then came back to the second one. Sitting here waiting for it to upload I just remembered that I forgot the shadows for the nobles houses.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
04-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Seeing all those row houses makes my shoulder twitch. That's what got me on my Shadizaar map. :)

Coming along nicely...

Ascension
04-14-2009, 04:05 PM
These were pretty easy actually, I just filled in the shapes between the streets then used various erasers to cut in the streets then styled the whole blob. I should probably lighten them some.

StillCypher
04-15-2009, 04:36 AM
There is something about those radial streets that makes that entire section go all 3D-ish! My eyeballs want to see it sticking up off the page at an angle...

Ascension
04-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Looks like I'm about halfway done. I'd like to add in some more row house type buildings but with some space for yards and a different look then finish up the unique buildings, then go back and chop out sections of the housing to put other unique buildings into in order to break up the blockiness. I've added lots of stuff in the past 2 nights: warehouses, temple, shipyard, markets, finished the major entertainments, and tweaks here and there where I forgot things.

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
04-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Wow that perspective really does play tricks on your eyes!!! Looking really gorgeous!

Ascension
04-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Trying to get this thing done before my PC craps out...mouse and keyboard keep cutting out randomly and the fan knocks more than my neighbor's truck. Might be forced into buying a new one before this gets done so I might be out of commission for a few days while I port things over and try to make sure that they work with the Vista nightmare. If I were a techy guy I could take it apart and put new stuff in but since I'm not -- I won't. At any rate, if I'm not around you know where I am and if I am around then things are still working for now.

### Latest WIP ###

Gandwarf
04-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Looking very good Ascension. Really like all the different buildings. This is going to be a map that you can look at for a while and still discover new stuff!

Oh, and I was wary of Vista as well. But I am running it on two computers now and although it's a bit slow, I haven't found any other problems with it. I think it's quite nice and I have been using XP forever. I came to Vista late however (so Microsoft was able to patch it up) and with new hardware.

Steel General
04-19-2009, 09:11 AM
This keeps getting better. Though sometimes when I look at it for to long I feel like I'm going to fall into a hole or something. :)

When I bought my new PC last year it came with Vista Home Basic. Haven't had any problems with running things so far, but I haven't tried any programs that are very old. It is rather slow and clunky coming out of sleep mode though (kinda like me in the morning) :D

Ascension
04-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Well that's good news...I don't mind a bit of slowness (it takes my Firefox six minutes to quit spinning my hard drive...10 if I load it up right after shutting down PS). And thanks, guys :)

Ascension
04-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Woohoo! New pc (Gateway FX6800 with Vista 64 Home Premium, quad core i7-920 2.66 Ghz processor, 3 gig DDR3, ATI Radeon 4850 512Mb video card, and a really big ole 750 gig hard drive that beats my old 35 gigs) and got my cable modem working with Firefox too...now I just gotta get all of that stuff ported over and installed. But wheee....

Gandwarf
04-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Haha, congrats Ascension.
I bought a new PC a few weeks ago and a 1000gb harddrive sure beats the 40gb harddrive I used to have on my other desktop (I upgraded the hell out of it, but never got around to the harddrive) :D

ravells
04-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Best feeling in the world! Enjoy the new beast!

Feralspirit
04-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Right on, Ascension, congratz! Can't wait to see what you can do with the latest souped-up model! :)

Ascension
04-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Finished the main city, need to redo the peasant area outside of the walls and put some more buildings in to break up the monotony of city residences. Mainly I'm just checking to make sure that everything is working okay.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
04-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Finally forced myself to do some more work on this, setting up the new pc is time consuming but I'm nearing the end there. Nearing the end on this map as well but I'm not too stoked about the fields...might replace them with a forest.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
04-23-2009, 07:06 AM
I think the problem with the fields is that they are kind of 'soft and fuzzy' where everything else is very 'crisp and clear'.

Ascension
04-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Think I'm about done unless anyone notices something that I forgot. I don't have my fonts installed yet so my palette is rather limited; this is something called MoolBoran that I squashed to 75% height. I might upload something a bit smaller in pixel size so that I don't have to sacrifice quality in order to make the post file size limit. Haven't decided there; it's mainly an aesthetics thing and no real skin off my nose.

### Latest WIP ###

Gandwarf
04-24-2009, 05:01 AM
Very nice map Ascension. I like the effects you added in the latest version.

industrygothica
04-24-2009, 05:15 AM
Wow.. Honestly, I wasn't sure how I felt about this map before, but you really pulled it all together with this last update. Definitely a contender!

-IG

Steel General
04-24-2009, 07:32 AM
This came out very nicely.

joćo paulo
04-24-2009, 09:32 AM
This filter(granulation), improved considerably the map, leaving it much more attractive.

Map Vandal
04-24-2009, 11:28 AM
I agree with the others, this final version is awesome. I love the look of this especially the ships moving in the water.

ravells
04-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Stunner....absolute stunner. Now that the map has been filled in the wierd perspective eye-trick has gone (did you know it was going to do that?). The little boats with the wakes show off the scale gloriously.

Can I give this maps two votes??

Ascension
04-24-2009, 07:09 PM
To be very honest I never really saw the eye-trickery thing but if it's there then I rather like it...for some reason I have this compulsion to play games even with my art.

It looks like a planned out city rather than a city that evolved but that's what I was going for. When you're a merchant prince with unlimited cash you can pretty much do anything you want...like tear down whole sections of a city to make it how you want it. I want the ruler-dude to be a pretty spoiled dictator type on par with some of the worst of the self-absorbed rulers we've seen throughout history (Caligula, the Borgia's, Louis XIV, Hitler, Kim Jung-Il, etc.).

With a large navy you can pretty much control the sea which brings in lots of money with which one can buy lots of troops to enforce said dictates. So who is gonna challenge him? Maybe some farm boy...na too cliche. I personally like the idea of a brothel-keeper old lady who has the dirt on all of the big wigs in town that she can bring down at her whim. Not sure if that has ever been done before (old lady with fading beauty as puppet master controlling the underworld - thieves, pirates, etc.).

Baziron
04-27-2009, 05:01 PM
I'd like to rep you, but I can't right now... must rep others first ;)

But this map just went from "really good-looking" to "M*F*-Awesome".

Ascension
04-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks, man :) I ran out of steam towards the end so that whole top section came out kind of weak...I need more paths and wells and stuff but I'm too busy to fix it up right.