PDA

View Full Version : April Entry: [Region 1][Map 29][Kaiar]

Rogueleader89
04-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Finally got some free time so I figured I would enter this month's mapping contest.

My map of choice being the city of Kaiar, a once prosperous settlement within what is now know as the plaguelands. Though much of the city now lies in ruins, there are still those who know it as home. To the south of the river the city has been overrun by all manner of beasts and left in ruin; to the north the governor hides within his keep with those closest to him as well as a small contingent of soldiers holding back the monstrosities and plague victims that seek to gain entrance. A great bridge once connected the two halves of the city, but it was destroyed by the governer in the city's final hours as a final attempt to stop the plague's spread to the north.

So far I just have some simple land/water for a placeholder, with more to come in the next few days.

bryguy
04-11-2009, 12:22 AM
This sounds interesting. Can't wait to see the end result :)

Rogueleader89
04-15-2009, 01:03 AM
Just a short update, added some ruined walls, structures, changed the terrain a bit. Lots of work to go, but its slowly taking shape.

Ascension
04-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Lookin good so far...love the crenelations.

Steel General
04-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Coming along nicely and good to see new folks joining the challenges.

Rogueleader89
04-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Yet another update, added some things, ruined alot of things, still more to go. Planning to work on the keep next as well as lighting/color.

ravells
04-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Nice! Gonna watch this one...I like the dark feel.

Rogueleader89
04-18-2009, 11:26 PM
My last update for today (and maybe overall). I feel like the dock needs something more and I would love to add a wrecked ship (if only that were simple :P), but overall i'm satisfied with how it is (okay.. i might play with the lights/color some more..)

Feralspirit
04-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey, your entry is awesome! I really love it, but don't stop playing with the lighting. That last post is way too dark. I hope I'm not alone in that opinion. Don't get me wrong, the dark feel is good for the ruins, but don't go soo dark that it obscures the other work that you've done. A really good job!

Ascension
04-19-2009, 12:34 AM
I love a dark map cuz it really sets a mood and this one is good for that. I'd make it just a tad lighter, like maybe 10% or less and fill the empty space with with some stuff to help reinforce the mood...like skeletons or lizards or vines or something. Lovin it nonetheless.

Gandwarf
04-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Very cool, although I agree it could be a bit lighter.
This is going to be a hard challenge to vote in. Lots of cool maps.

Steel General
04-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Ditto on the darkness - just a bit of lightening will help immensely. This turned out quite nicely. :)

Does a ship have to be wrecked? You add could one or two and just have them partially submerged under the water or something - just an idea.

Rogueleader89
04-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Lightened a bit, and tried adding a sunken ship, not sure if I like the ship or not.

Steel General
04-19-2009, 02:46 PM
From what I could see it looked OK, but it was so small it's difficult to tell.

Maybe a zoomed-in view of the area with the ship would help with some C&C.

Gandwarf
04-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Maybe you could also add a sunken ship a bit farther into the water (not too far). It could have been a ship caught on fire while fleeing.

Feralspirit
04-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Well, I'm still in the "Too Dark" camp, but if I'm alone in that then use your judgement. I think this is a great map with a really good shot at taking the competition this month. I couldn't find the sunken ship, unless it's right next to the docks. If so, I'd echo Gandwarf's advice.

Rogueleader89
04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Moved the ship further out, also used one of my larger versions of it.

Gandwarf
04-20-2009, 03:50 PM
I am digging it. You might even add another wreck somewhere. But don't overdo it :D