PDA

View Full Version : Emulation Project

mox404
04-12-2009, 10:07 PM
First I created this map in CD3 and wanted to see if I could copy the look using Photoshop and Illustrator. I ask you all to take a look and give me some feedback on on the Photoshop/Illustrator version. Thanks.

Ascension
04-13-2009, 12:11 AM
I like it a lot, looks pretty darn good. I had thought about doing this once but I didn't even know where to start...something you have accomplished so kudos. I hope you do a tut for this.

NeonKnight
04-13-2009, 12:49 AM
Looks good.

Gandwarf
04-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Yeah, you made some nice improvements using Photoshop and Illustrator! The trees especially look good. The water still needs some work, the banks have become a bit pixelated in the edited version.

And do I see my tutorials at work here? ;)

Oh, and you might want to increase the size of the fields next time.

landorl
04-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Did you also create the buildings in Photoshop, or are they the buildings from CD3?

It looks remarkably similar!

mox404
04-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Did you also create the buildings in Photoshop, or are they the buildings from CD3?

It looks remarkably similar!

The buildings I created using Sketchup, Illustrator, and Photoshop.

Steel General
04-13-2009, 12:27 PM
The only real difference I could spot was that the CC3 symbols 'seemed' a bit brighter (but that just might be me).

Nice job regardless.

Gandwarf
04-14-2009, 07:19 AM
The only real difference I could spot was that the CC3 symbols 'seemed' a bit brighter (but that just might be me).

Not only brighter, the symbols are looking different as well. Compare them again ;)

altasilvapuer
04-16-2009, 11:17 PM
I was torn for a few minutes, but I think I've decided that I prefer the Photoshop/Illustrator version, personally. The CC3 version looks a little bit cleaner, but I think the PS/ILL version looks much more artistic, while still sacrificing little legibility.

Great work!

-asp

landorl
04-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Not only brighter, the symbols are looking different as well. Compare them again

I didn't really look very closely until you said that. Now I see the difference, and the PS ones fit into the map a little better (IMO) The CC3 ones have a little sharper edges, which don't seem to fit with the rest of the map.

I still think that CC3 is a great tool, but I do know that if you have the time and ability that PS/Illustrator will give a little bit better results.

Great job!

Gandwarf
04-17-2009, 03:29 PM
I still think that CC3 is a great tool, but I do know that if you have the time and ability that PS/Illustrator will give a little bit better results.

I think we can all agree on that. Photoshop is fully fledged graphics editing program. It's totally free form, while it's difficult to break from the CC3 mould.
Still I prefer CC3 :)

landorl
04-22-2009, 11:07 AM
The thing that I love about CC3 is that it allows anyone to do some pretty decent maps. There is a learning curve, but it is nothing compared to Photoshop or Illustrator!