View Full Version : April Entry: [Region 1] [Map 7] Gorsmering

04-14-2009, 05:49 PM
This will be my first attempt at digital cartography, it's been over 20 years since I made any kind of fantasy map!

When I read about this months competition I quickly came up with an idea, just didn't know where to put it. After some discussion on this forum, with particular thanks to Redrobes I have chosen to create the frontier dock town of Gorsmering in Thrubmorton Fens.

Gorsmering sits in the marshy delta south of Knightstomb, and provides a trade link between Skolvendun and the Thrubmorton interior.

There are five Inns: The Golden Claw, The Half Full Crucible, The Bandy Sprite, The Lizards Head and of course Gorsmering Arms.

As well as providing a protected waypoint for it's client merchant ships Gorsmering is home to various trades including an apothecary, an alchemist, a basket maker, a blacksmith, a cooper, an armourer and an off the wall alchemist currently engaged in studying the commercial and military uses of marsh gas.

The small Gorsmering town militia, known locally as Swamp Rats have succeeded in partially pacifying the local Lizard men and banditry through a combination of cunning, bribery and brutality. There are still occasional random attacks on the town, but this only serves to keep the Rats in employment.

Despite being primarily a stockaded port, Gorsmering is surprisingly self sufficient in food with several fish ponds, vegetable gardens and a snail farm.

I think I'll leave the background there for now and get on with drawing the damn thing.

04-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Cool... and Barry - Wales ! Not a million miles away too. There's a link on my sig for the guild members map so stick a pin in and see who is your closest neighbour. Your location would be about -3, 52 or so... i.e. remember the -ve cos everyone forgets it.

04-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Cheers Redrobes

I will add myself to the map.

Do you have one of those 3d views of this area so that I can gauge the terrain a bit better. Those river valleys look quite steep to my untrained eye.

04-14-2009, 06:18 PM
This is the best I can get at short notice. The terrain around Snap has been increased in res and I could do similar in your area too. Basically its quite steep but not precipitously so.

Edit - a second image. You must ignore the cliff like edge to the swamps its supposed to fade into them getting boggy and then marshy and then watery :)

04-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Wow, that's excellent, just what I need.

Thanks a lot

04-14-2009, 06:28 PM
What scale is the map?

04-23-2009, 08:07 PM
The whole tile is approx 600mi x 600mi but in reality its stretched and not square at all being on a globe n all.

Anyway, given that it was a 600mi square here is the map with 10 mile squares on it.