PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial coming

ravells
04-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I've been a bit stuck on this tutorial, finally cracked it tonight.

Make a map like this in under an hour and it's pretty much non destructive so you can edit it to your heart's content, coastline shape, textures and all.

Ascension
04-16-2009, 02:30 AM
That looks great man. Can't wait for the tut.

pasis
04-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Map like that in less than an hour!!! I cannot even decide my textures to be used in an hour :)

Gamerprinter
04-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Looking forward to this one Ravs, I wonder what software you used?

GP

ravells
04-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Er ah..the bad news is that it's only works with layer styles (Photoshop)...I don't think Gimp supports layer styles yet, although not sure. I'm hoping to post up the tut over the weekend.

Map like that in less than an hour!!! I cannot even decide my textures to be used in an hour

LOL Pasis, I'm the same...

Steel General
04-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Great job Ravs!

Looking forward to giving the tutorial a whirl or two.

Bohunk
04-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Love it! Mtns are fantastic. Be quick bout the tutorial plz!

Vandy
04-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Hello, Ravells.

I must say that is a very impressive map -- especially so since you created it in less than an hour!

I was wondering what format you'll use to post your tutorial and if I will have the chance to create a .PDF document out of it?

I'm looking forward to your tutorial. Thanks for being so generous in sharing your talent with us.

Regards,

Gary

ravells
04-16-2009, 05:38 PM
There is nothing particularly original about the tutorial (as you will see). The mountains are just a combination of Genetica textures and Soixante's mountain tutorial (told you it wasn't original!)

Because the whole map is driven by layer styles (the only layer colour used is white) and layer masks, it's a cinch to change textures by just changing the pattern in the layer style (see below) - this amendment took about 1 minute.

Breaking up the textures and fractalising the coast and rivers is just a combination of my favourite jiggle filter (now available free!) and gaussian blurs.

It's so easy it's ridiculous. I'm hoping the more photoshop literate members will be able to add to it but the best part is that if you want to map sections of a large area, you can just duplicate the map, keep the same textures and have an adjacent area with all the same hues and tones.

Vandy, thanks for the offer but I'll probably do the tutorial as a pdf anyway so I won't have to upload dozens of images.