PDA

View Full Version : Erion

StarRaven
04-16-2009, 03:38 AM
So, mostly finished at this point, for the moment at least. This is my first decent attempt at labeling anything (aside from notes on my hand-drawn maps), so if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I guess I'll start on important regional maps next, once this is done....

Edit: Fixed the borders to be less bright, and realized that I'd posted a slightly outdated version anyway. The new one has a logo. :) Yay.

Edit Again: Edited the tundra-ish part of Shan to make the mountains more visible. Added city icons and labels. How do the city labels look? Also added the logo (original.)

Edit #3 (I think): Tree trunks! Do they look okay? Or just dumb? And fixed the wonky-looking rivers. I think they're better now. Now there's a version without labels, and one without forests. I'll upload one with labels when I'm done re-labeling some things and fixing up the labels themselves to look a little better. It might take a little longer than usual, since I've decided to make a black and white map of Kelunia (labeled in attachments) and its important areas and cities for a book I'm writing. (Mostly for my own reference, but also in case we decide to actually put a map in the book itself.)

Also, I accidentally forgot to save it after I put in the icons and smaller labels. :shock: So now they're all gone, boo hoo! Thankfully, I've still got them as brushes so they'll be easy to put back in. Whew.

Steel General
04-16-2009, 08:10 AM
It's a nice choice of fonts - stylish, yet still very readable.

Naeddyr
04-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Please step out of the car, sir, you have been awesome in a No Awesome zone.

Ramah
04-16-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm loving this map. The water colour effects on the mountains and forest look great. The text looks good too, nice font, nice colours. The only thing I'm not digging 100% on this map is the coloured borders on the countries which, to my eyes, look too digital against the painted map. If you get those to look more water-coloury then it would be 100% amazing. :)

StarRaven
04-16-2009, 11:39 AM
It's a nice choice of fonts - stylish, yet still very readable.

Thank you! It's Vinque by Ray Larabie (larabiefonts.com) - he's got a lot of really awesome fonts, all free. :3

Please step out of the car, sir, you have been awesome in a No Awesome zone.

Oh noes! D: Is there a fine?

I'm loving this map. The water colour effects on the mountains and forest look great. The text looks good too, nice font, nice colours. The only thing I'm not digging 100% on this map is the coloured borders on the countries which, to my eyes, look too digital against the painted map. If you get those to look more water-coloury then it would be 100% amazing. :)

Thank you!! :D

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'll change the blending mode for them to Multiply so they'll blend a little better. If they're still too bright, I'll bring down their saturation.

Ramah
04-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Much better. And I love the logo too. 100% amazing. :)

StarRaven
04-17-2009, 02:55 AM
Much better. And I love the logo too. 100% amazing. :)

Thank you!!

Karro
04-17-2009, 10:24 AM
This is looking pretty good.

Gandwarf
04-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Very artistic looking map and you have used some nice fonts!
Repped.

jfrazierjr
04-17-2009, 01:22 PM
VERY NICE!! my one complaint is that you might want to add some color or more shading to the "light" side of the mountains around Shan. Right now, it looks a lot more like a cliff down into a large depression than mountains ringing the area. Of course, that could just be my eyes tricking me (as happens quite often....), but it took me several seconds of hard staring to figure out they were mountains....

StarRaven
04-17-2009, 05:03 PM
This is looking pretty good.

Thank you!

Very artistic looking map and you have used some nice fonts!
Repped.

Thanks! Thanks for the rep, too. :3

VERY NICE!! my one complaint is that you might want to add some color or more shading to the "light" side of the mountains around Shan. Right now, it looks a lot more like a cliff down into a large depression than mountains ringing the area. Of course, that could just be my eyes tricking me (as happens quite often....), but it took me several seconds of hard staring to figure out they were mountains....

It's not your eyes tricking you, you're absolutely right. I may have gotten a little lazy around that area and didn't go over those parts as well as I should have - part of the downside of using a brush rather than drawing them in myself. Thanks for letting me know. I 'll get to fixing it. :D

Although...
...a cliff down into a large depression... ...that's kind of cool, too.... *ponders*

StarRaven
04-18-2009, 03:51 AM
Edited the map! How do the city/town icons look...?

You might have to full view it to see them well....

Ascension
04-18-2009, 02:25 PM
They look good to me, seem to fit pretty well.

torstan
04-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Looks very pretty - I love the style.

The forests could do with being isometric like the other details in the map. You've done this with some but not others. Your compass stands out as being underworked compared to the rest of the map. I'd also suggest trying out warping the labels along paths. This will blend them into the map a bit more. Right now they stand lout as being quite stark because they are perfectly straight.

There's a little river weirdness as well. Many rivers are getting lost in your forests and I can't see where they go. You also have a stagnant lake - lake Worvash. I'd be interested to know what's happening under the Zelai label too - it looks like your river forks into two separate branches.

I like the town and city labels - they blend into the map beautifully.

I love the font, and thanks for the link. I have now wandered over there and acquired myself a whole new set of typefaces to play with.

Great first map - welcome to the guild.

StarRaven
04-19-2009, 10:21 PM
They look good to me, seem to fit pretty well.

Thank you!

Looks very pretty - I love the style.

The forests could do with being isometric like the other details in the map. You've done this with some but not others. Your compass stands out as being underworked compared to the rest of the map. I'd also suggest trying out warping the labels along paths. This will blend them into the map a bit more. Right now they stand lout as being quite stark because they are perfectly straight.

There's a little river weirdness as well. Many rivers are getting lost in your forests and I can't see where they go. You also have a stagnant lake - lake Worvash. I'd be interested to know what's happening under the Zelai label too - it looks like your river forks into two separate branches.

I like the town and city labels - they blend into the map beautifully.

I love the font, and thanks for the link. I have now wandered over there and acquired myself a whole new set of typefaces to play with.

Great first map - welcome to the guild.

First off, thanks so much for your detailed comments! I've still go a long way to go when it comes to making maps.

Yeah, I know the forest isn't isometric... I've been fighting with that, but honestly, I really like the way it looks and can't really see a way to make it fit better. D: I don't want to draw in trees, especially since the ones I have look so pretty, (to me anyway...) haha.... Still, I'll play with it and see what I can get. I think I saw a tutorial somewhere around here that had something I might try.

The compass probably is a little underworked. I really should redraw all the icons (including the cities) bigger (so I can resize them), and/or with a smaller brush. That will give me a little more room for detail in all of them, but I was afraid of killing the hand-drawn look.

Thanks for the idea about warping the labels. I'll try that! Unfortunately, one of the reasons the font doesn't really blend into the map is because unlike everything else on the map, it isn't hand-drawn.... When I'm done getting all the labels into place, maybe I'll trace them by hand on another layer with one of the calligraphy pen tools. I'll probably try a couple filters on them after I rasterize them to make them look less perfect, though, before I go that far. How would you suggest warping them? To follow the general curves of the land and whatnot?

I agree, my rivers are very weird. :? I probably need to just redraw them and unweirdify them in general.... They're getting lost in the forests because the forests are on top of them. I'm not really sure what to do about that. I guess I'll see how they look after I redraw them, and then see where I'm at....

And yep, Lake Worvash has no rivers to it. All the exits to it are underground. Now that might be fun to map later, too....

Zelai... the river doesn't fork, there are two of them, and they're weird and bendy. Another example of rivers that I need to redraw, so thanks for pointing it out to me. That's another reason I never really drew labels much, though... sometimes they cover up too much stuff.... D:

Your welcome for the fonts! He has some really fantastic ones over there:!: