PDA

View Full Version : City design... in a new way

loogie
04-16-2009, 06:34 AM
hey guys.

haven't been around in awhile... finding I have very little time with work and the ammount of time i spend on a train (Ravells might know exactly how bad it is since he's here in the UK) I have to take a train every day from Bournemouth to Havant... and back... 2.5 hrs each way... combined with a 7.5hr day and i'm gone over half the day...

I've been thinking hard about trying to work on my world again, and came up with an interesting idea I thought would be cool, and possibly help create a realistic city map.

My idea is this. Follow its founders and leaders, by writing journal entries by them, describing the needs of the city and whats being done about it. An example of such would be "Villagers are finding that they need to cross the river more and more, and the ferry isn't pulling its weight. I've decided to erect a bridge" etc etc...

It helps me get into the mood of the design, but also lends history to the place. I chose this route because I have more then enough time to write things at work, but using a computer to draw things is limited. Let me know what you guys think.

To try to stop my procrastination I've decided to start with the objective of at least 1 entry a day, but as many as I can muster really. So... hopefully I'll see you guys tomorrow, with my first post!

ravells
04-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Hey that 2.5 hours on the train is good mapping time!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the start of your narratives. It's an interesting mental exercise on city development. In Chapter 1 of my guide to building fantasy cities (see link in sig), I had a similar thought process where I imagined walking throught the city, meeting and talking to people etc. I like your thought experiment which adds a temporal element to the process.

Steel General
04-16-2009, 07:05 AM
It does indeed sound like a neat idea.

Ascension
04-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Count me in as another interested party to this exercise. What you could do is take a piece of paper and sketch out the basic terrain by hand (mainly just a river and some trees), then everyday while on the train write an entry and draw a basic shape to go with the entry. Need a bridge -- draw a rectangle over the river, need some farmland -- erase some trees. On the weekends you could scan and color and post. This could be really cool.

loogie
04-16-2009, 12:15 PM
** MAIN POST **
This post will hold all of journal entries and information in my City Design project. I am posting all of the entries here to help make things easy to read and find, so I will be copying other contributors entries here. If you wish to contribute, please read the memorable character lists for ideas of the amount of people currently a part of the storyline, and either use one of the free characters or create your own!

Memorable Character List
This is a list of the characters currently mentioned in the entries for this city. Some have not been mentioned by name, but have been given one so they can be added to the list. These characters have been created by one of the authors, so please read the entries to see where they fit in. Beside the name of the ship is the approximate number of survivors on that ship, and new characters can be added as long as there is room in the ships roster. This is a pioneer expedition, so make sure these people have reason to be present (The majority should be tough hardy folk) I'll give mainly free reight of your entries, but I may msg you with ideas or requests about the events that happen in them. I will message anyone who contributes and ask them if they wish to contribute regularly or leave such up to the other authors

Daisy May 16 Survivors Left
1. Lord Arthien, Commander Taken
2. Algrim, Soldier
3. Dell Ivray, Seaman
4. Samson Peters, Forrester and Fletcher

Aspen 17 Survivors Left
1. Randall, Woodsman
2. Ernst Sputage, Carpenter Taken

Survivors of the Lass 6 Survivors left
1. Old Man Kressel, Woodsman
2. Becca, Serf
3. LT. Atwood, Officer
4. Hiram, Cook
5. Jasper, Deck hand
6. Larim Greyson, Seaman Taken

Unfortunates List
Danriella, Wife to Randall (Unexplained)
Raiff, Son to Randall (Unexplained)
Captain Harrison, Captain (Went down with the Lass)

Entries

Excerpts from Lord Arthien's personal journals

Day 53

The storm has taken its toll on all our ships. The Daisy May has significant mast and sail damage, and the Aspen is listing hard to port. Our shipwright has informed me that the Aspen is in need of a dry dock, lest she be lost to the sea.

The most tragic of all, we have been parted from our third vessel the Sultry Lass, sometime during the night. The last visual of the ship was on the second hour of new day, where the guard Algrim spied the vessel through the blinding winds and rain of the storm. All hands were called below deck shortly after, for waves continued battering the deck, and we had almost lost both Grayson and Peters to those dark depths.

When morning broke I was greeted with some positive news, for we could once again spy land. Investigations of our maps revealed provided us no location, had I finally made it to Northrend? Being down one ship and the others in grave need of repair, I decided to find a suitable place to stop. A few hours later we came upon such a place. A large bay with clean deep water. The bay was fed by a sizable river, and the land was lush with greenery, grasses mostly and other plains-land vegetation. The odd tree roamed the grounds, but not enough to be of much use to the ships.

We set to work and managed to beach the Aspen, to much longer in the water and our supplies were in danger of getting damaged. Without much daylight left, I set the boys to work on a large fire. My heart holds hope that the Sultry Lass is not far behind, and hopefully our light may guide its way.

In the morning I shall gather a party to march, to see if I can find our location, and find some sign of my lost ship.

Larim Greyson (Day 55)

It's been two days since the Lass went down. We did everything we could to save her, but there just weren't enough of us. Bless Captain Harrison and his kin. He did the honorable thing and went down with the Lass, giving up his place in the life boat to Old Man Kressel and his grand-daughter. To be honest, though, I'd rather have the captain back, at least he had a bit of common sense. Not like Lieutenant Atwood. How he became an officer, I'll never understand. He wouldn't listen when I tried to suggest that we rope ourselves to the other life boat. Said that'd just make it harder on whoever was rowing. Don't know how many were on that boat, but we lost her last night, disappeared into the darkness. And now he's got us rowing due north.

Tried to tell him we needed to head east, point our bow into the morning sun. Figured that'd be the best way to make landfall, but he wouldn't listen to that either. He's gonna be the death of us all unless . . . but that'd be mutiny. Still . . .

Besides Old Man Kressel and his grand-daughter, there's me, the Lieutenant, Hiram (the cook) and Jasper one of the newer deck-hands.. He's a boy, really, this being his first voyage and all. But he's giving it his all, rowing hard when it's his turn. Even if we're going the wrong way, between Jasper, Hiram and myself, we're making pretty good progress. It'd be better if Atwood would dirty his hands a little, but he thinks himself above such things.

Hiram talked Becca (Old Man Kressel's grand-daugher) into giving up a bit of her frilly thread and lace and managed a hook out of a lantern handle, but without bait, I don't think he's going to catch anything. And even if he does, we don't have any way to cook it. If we don't find land soon, none of us are going to make it.

Ernst Sputage – Carpenter

They're such butchers of fine woods. I watched them drag timbers ashore to burn. What a crime. They start with the largest timbers of course and then leave them in the light of the fires to dry. These are the same idiots who will come to me to help them find timber!

They seem scared of the night though. Apparently, Randall's whole family has gone off into the darkness and not returned. Some say they heard screaming.

loogie
04-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Here you have it, entry one of this project. I'm going to put it in quotage so its easier to see whats chat and whats work.I'll also set the post icon to info for these posts.

Excerpts from Lord Arthien's personal journals

Day 53

The storm has taken its toll on all our ships. The Daisy May has significant mast and sail damage, and the Aspen is listing hard to port. Our shipwright has informed me that the Aspen is in need of a dry dock, lest she be lost to the sea.

The most tragic of all, we have been parted from our third vessel the Sultry Lass, sometime during the night. The last visual of the ship was on the second hour of new day, where the guard Algrim spied the vessel through the blinding winds and rain of the storm. All hands were called below deck shortly after, for waves continued battering the deck, and we had almost lost both Ivray and Peters to those dark depths.

When morning broke I was greeted with some positive news, for we could once again spy land. Investigations of our maps revealed provided us no location, had I finally made it to Northrend? Being down one ship and the others in grave need of repair, I decided to find a suitable place to stop. A few hours later we came upon such a place. A large bay with clean deep water. The bay was fed by a sizable river, and the land was lush with greenery, grasses mostly and other plains-land vegetation. The odd tree roamed the grounds, but not enough to be of much use to the ships.

We set to work and managed to beach the Aspen, to much longer in the water and our supplies were in danger of getting damaged. Without much daylight left, I set the boys to work on a large fire. My heart holds hope that the Sultry Lass is not far behind, and hopefully our light may guide its way.

In the morning I shall gather a party to march, to see if I can find our location, and find some sign of my lost ship.

Sigurd
04-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Ernst Sputage - Carpenter

They're such butchers of fine woods. I watched them drag timbers ashore to burn. What a crime. They start with the largest timbers of course and then leave them in the light of the fires to dry. These are the same idiots who will come to me to help them find timber!

They seem scared of the night though. Apparently, Randall's whole family has gone off into the darkness and not returned. Some say they heard screaming.

- Sigurd

Ernst may only be an occasional or temporary character. Feel free to post from his perspective if you have details of woodwork or construction to tell.

What is the racial make up here?

loogie
04-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks Sig, I'll try to work him in, that quote might just work quite well when they are attacked.

I guess I should elaborate on the world somewhat. My world is mainly one large continent, at least thats all thats planned for now. In the couth is a civilized land of Men, almost entirely explored and conquered. Demi human races are rare in the land, there are a few orcs and goblins in the land. Dwarves and Elves are all but non existant in the south, of myth and legend.

The land of man is divided from the north by a very large mountain range, with very few harsh and treaterous passes. Few have ventured forth and returned, the most famous of which is the monk Herringale. Long dead now, Herringale's texts are all that remains of his travels, but he described with pictures and words the varous wonderous creatures, and many precious resources of the north. His quest took him through the mountain pass, which many have attempted to recreate, but many have perished.

With crowding of the land, many of its factions are looking to be the first to claim land on this new territory, and gain a quick monopoly on its resources. While there are works in progress creating safe passage through the mountain ranges, my story will follow the path by sea, as an expedition is thrown into the seas clutches, and eventually lands in the north, where they found one of the first northern settlements, Port Herringate. Taking homage from the monk who was the first to find the place, the Lord saw fit to name his capitol city after him.

This new land is indeed rich with resources, humongous trees and precious minerals. My main influences for this land is the canadian wilderness, so there are many trees and vast plains. winters are harsh and summers are warm. Another big influence i wish to work in is the videogame monsterhunter. in this game you make all you equipment from resources and animals. It relies heavily on hunting prey, and havesting its parts. while i do not wish it to be of the same scale, I do want to see harvesting as a major role.

Elves and dwarves are more common here, but will not appear for a long time. I hope to introduce a race of orcs soon, not innately evil as is the norm, but tribal and fierce, like the norse of old. A tribe of them will come to the cities aid when they are attacked by a number of raptor like dragons. thet provide some much needed guidance on this strange land.

so far thats it.. again c&c more then welcome, i'm flying by the seat of my pants here.

Oh yeah, magic is rare in the south, the enlightened are the only few with the ability to use it. It will be based on an element system, fire, water, earth, air, and a firth, called by many names. life, spirit, magic are all good examples.

all life is energy, and through energy we gain power. channeling your bodies energy will allow you to manipulate it, creating magic. out of life, the energy is released in the 4 elemental forms. so when a body releases it, it must take one such form. the energy works on a give or take basis, therefore life becomes death quite easily.

Not everyone can channel energy innately, and in most cases a persons power is limited... but in the new land new forms of magic use will appear.

phew! that turned into a rant, but came out quite nicely.

loogie
04-16-2009, 06:32 PM
I feel I didn't quite give sig a sincere thanks for his contribution. I never even thought about accepting community members entrys before, but I think its a great idea. If you wish to have a character included in the current lineup, post a description or quote like sig has, and I will add them to the roster.

I will give you some more information about the expedition, so that you'll get a better idea about what you have to work with.

The expedition itself was launched from a large port in the south, yet to be named... It consisted of 3 large ships, 2 cargo vessels, and one large frigate (the flagship, the daisy may)

On board were around 55 people, splitting it up 20,20 in the cargo ships, and 15 in the flagship(Several will be lost with the missing ship the Lass, while some will survive, the majority will die). The majority of which were professionals, a few soldiers, hunters carpenters, shipwrights, blacksmiths, etc... With a handfull of serfs to do the dirty work.

I will keep a running list of named members of the city, so lets start it now.

Memorable Expedition Characters
Lord Arthien, lead of the expedition
Algrim, soldier
Larim Greyson, seaman
Samson Peters, forrester and fletcher
Ernst Sputage, carpenter

loogie
04-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Haha, still haven't got another entry for you guys yet, but I had another idea. If I had enough user participation, we could get multiple views of the city, and therefore more detail.

For instance, if we use the lords entries general timelines and building blocks, we can fill in accounts through others eyes, and make something similar to those new style historical documentaries, where they get actors to act out peoples entries...

Just a thought, and all depends on participation. either way I'm continuing on my way.

loogie
04-19-2009, 12:01 PM
I know I should have had a second entry done for friday but I got distracted after i found Pocket Artist. I used the day to draw an outline of the landing.

I've sketched the badboy back at home with my tablet today, and I'm going to write a journal entry to go along with it soon.

loogie
04-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Heres Map #1!

This map goes along with the first journal entry... Its just a quick illustration of the area the lord landed in.

Steel General
04-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Ummm... I think you forgot something? :D

loogie
04-19-2009, 01:59 PM
shhh... i edited it

loogie
04-19-2009, 02:02 PM
I think I'll probably extend this map both to the north, north east and east, but for now it will work.

The two ships are depicted here, the tent-like stucture was built to house the cargo from the Aspen, just a mound of sand around the cargo, with the sails from the ship to help cover it... I'll hopefully finish the second entry tonight, I have to go pick up my wife tho.

Steel General
04-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I've got a possible little blurb for one of the passengers bouncing around in my head. I'll try and get it posted up here soon.

Gandwarf
04-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Wow, looking really good so far. Have some rep!

Gamerprinter
04-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I feel I didn't quite give sig a sincere thanks for his contribution.

Her contribution.

GP

loogie
04-19-2009, 07:11 PM
so... that may just be worse then not thanking her... so sorry!

Ascension
04-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Looks pretty good, with some softening of the lines and more muted/washed out colors you could be doing Torstan-esque stuff soon.

Greason Wolfe
04-20-2009, 07:53 AM
If nobody else has, already, I'd like to lay claim to Larim Greyson (or Greason teehee) since he is a seaman and I was a seaman at one time. Of course, if someone is already working on something for that particular character, well, I'll just move along to another. Love this idea and it will give me a chance to stretch my fingers a bit (and a break from charting out rivers).

Larim Greyson (Day 55)

It's been two days since the Lass went down. We did everything we could to save her, but there just weren't enough of us. Bless Captain Harrison and his kin. He did the honorable thing and went down with the Lass, giving up his place in the life boat to Old Man Kressel and his grand-daughter. To be honest, though, I'd rather have the captain back, at least he had a bit of common sense. Not like Lieutenant Atwood. How he became an officer, I'll never understand. He wouldn't listen when I tried to suggest that we rope ourselves to the other life boat. Said that'd just make it harder on whoever was rowing. Don't know how many were on that boat, but we lost her last night, disappeared into the darkness. And now he's got us rowing due north.

Tried to tell him we needed to head east, point our bow into the morning sun. Figured that'd be the best way to make landfall, but he wouldn't listen to that either. He's gonna be the death of us all unless . . . but that'd be mutiny. Still . . .

Besides Old Man Kressel and his grand-daughter, there's me, the Lieutenant, Hiram (the cook) and Jasper one of the newer deck-hands.. He's a boy, really, this being his first voyage and all. But he's giving it his all, rowing hard when it's his turn. Even if we're going the wrong way, between Jasper, Hiram and myself, we're making pretty good progress. It'd be better if Atwood would dirty his hands a little, but he thinks himself above such things.

Hiram talked Becca (Old Man Kressel's grand-daugher) into giving up a bit of her frilly thread and lace and managed a hook out of a lantern handle, but without bait, I don't think he's going to catch anything. And even if he does, we don't have any way to cook it. If we don't find land soon, none of us are going to make it.

GW

loogie
04-20-2009, 10:51 AM
That's great man, and I'm happy to take him on. The list i have were meant to be people accounted for (greyson was already mentioned in my first entry... so he is meant to be aboard the Daisy May, but I an't take your namesake from you now can I! Its really no big deal because he was litterally just a name in my entry... I'm going to say those in your entry are the only survivors from the lass... unless anyone feels like making a good story out of their survival. I'll msg you a gist of the plans ivwas thinking, so you can either continue with entries, or you know whats happens. thanks again!

loogie
04-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Heres the next entry, some people go missing... the repairs are taking longer... etc

Entry 2

Lord Arthien’s Personal Diary
Day 58

The progress on repairing our ships has slowed to a crawl. Last night after an argument with his mother, the young lad Raiff ran out into the forest. Danriella went into the forest after him, but neither have returned. One of the men saw her leave, and claimed to hear screams not long after but there were no other reports of such distressing news.

When daylight came I sent both of my personal guard out with Danriella's husband Randall to search for them. I gave them instruction to come straight to me with any evidence; I don't want rumours to spook the men. Algrim, Baor and the man returned with a single shred of the boys clothing, drenched with blood. Randall has since been a muttering mess, collapsed and wailing in his tent alone. I feel for his loss, but I must tailor my mood to best fit the people's needs.

I've told Algrim to gather volunteers and set up a watch during the night; no one is to leave the camp after dark. I've also limited the trips to the forest to one a day, in an armed group. The majority of brush and wood will go toward large parameter fires, to light the area and repel wildlife. I've also asked Algrim and a few of the volunteers to perform a scouting mission along the beach each day, until I find definite proof that the Lass has been lost to the sea, I will continue to search for survivors.

The fires are already taking a toll on the wood supply, and Danriella was one of the best seamstresses we had on board. The damage to our ship and sails will not be repaired quickly. I believe we may need to settle in for a longer stay.

Sigurd
04-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Her contribution.

GP

Actually, I've always been a Him but thanks for coming to my rescue Tall, Dark and Printerly.:P

Loogie is being far too kind and worried about impressions. My posts are contributions not possessions.

The map looks good. I'll post again when I have the creative spark.

Sigurd
04-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Everyone who wants to see this experiment get interesting, realizes that one person will have to put all the other inspirations & stuff into order. Because you came up with the idea, because you've been so polite, and because you didn't ask for the job -- Loogie, you're the perfect leader for this.

Therefore In order to give Loogie a vote of support...

I hereby vote for Loogie as number one, High Poobah, Historian Uber Chief for this thread. With the dread powers to mince and mangle, encourage and cajole, all the posts here presented.

"I give you the light or Eärendil.... yadda da, yadda da,"

All in agreement add "Loogie's my chief historian." to the end of a post in this thread. 'If it aint got a Loogie on it, its only a suggestion'.

Greason Wolfe
04-20-2009, 08:08 PM
All in agreement add "Loogie's my chief historian." to the end of a post in this thread. 'If it aint got a Loogie on it, its only a suggestion'.

:lol::twisted::lol:

So it is written, so shall it be!

GW

loogie
04-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks... I hope. ;) Should get another post up today.

loogie
04-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Here’s the 3rd entry to this. (I need to put these intros so that there are enough non-quotations to post :P). In the passing nights another man is lost, and a second injured.

We lost another man last night, and another was badly injured. Kinridge and Fellern, both volunteers for the night watch. It seems Kinridge stumbled upon Fellern, lifeless beside some shrubbery just outside the northern group of tents. As he was trying to wake his friend, he two was attacked, grabbed by the arm and dragged through the brush. Baor heard the commotion from his post, and came to his aid, managing to score a hit on the beast. It let go of Kinridge, and retreated, but neither man saw the thing directly. Throughout the commotion Fellerns body was taken as well, following the bend in the tall grass we can only assume he was dragged into the forest. Kinridge’s would is deep, and he will most likely lose much of the use of his left hand. Still, he is alive which is more then can be said about his friend.

With an attack so close in our midst I have no choice but to suspend work on the Aspen in favour of fortifications. I have ordered the men to build a wooden palisade, and to retrieve the wood from the forest farther away, above the ridge. The trip is longer, but much smaller logs are needed for this venture allowing us to keep our stockpile high for multiple fires.

I have also asked that all of the men move closer to the main encampment and anyone without combat experience to spend the nights on the Daisy May under Algrim's guard; with the enemy upon us, we cannot be too careful. No one is to be alone, and the fires will burn all night. May Fellern's soul find peace with the others lost to this expedition.

Sigurd
04-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Ernst Sputage - Carpenter

It can't be done. They won't see it. The Aspen has lost two major spars and three of her cross braces were burnt last night. I told them to leave the timber but the men are scared to sleep without light.

We might be able to save one boat with what we can salvage from the other but we'll never save both without finding some decent timber.

I told captain --- at the start of this to lay in explorers ballast. We should have barrels of nails, and weapons. I just discovered the Aspen is loaded with shale. Instead of supplies to build a wall we have nothing useful.

We have to find some timber to make these repairs and maybe make some defenses. If they think I'm heading inland without a full work gang and defenders they're nuts....

I think Ernst objects to the site decent language rules! :)
Perhaps we should have a cast list of who's who and what they do?

loogie
04-23-2009, 10:24 AM
i'm working on it... i think i'm going to try to put together a docuwiki on my site, where we cam post entries and keep track of the city and world... would that be agreeable to all?

Steel General
04-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Works for me...but I haven't had to time to come up with anything yet. :(

Sigurd
04-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Consider the sister sites, The Campaign Builders' Guild & Plot Storming. Maybe also look at wherever the world building project is being hosted.

Folding back some of the other projects and\or supporting them would be a bonus in my books. Also give us some instant background to use.

Only a preference, not a requirement by any means.

loogie
04-23-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm all for helping out the other sites, but cbp for one isn't really what i'm looking for. for the unity i want there needs to be one person at the reigns, so everything flows... but thats me

I'll take a look at the others, but I'm looking for more then a forum, i thing some sort of article system is required. I don't know if they offer such...

Greason Wolfe
04-24-2009, 09:17 AM
An update from Liram's point of view;

Day 57

Hiram's efforts to catch something with his make-shift fishing line and hook have met with absolutely no success. He did mention, however, seeing something. He wasn't sure what it was, but he was certain that it was rather large and seemed to glow somewhat, even through the murkiness of the water. We'll have to hope that it isn't as hungry as we are.

With another foodless, waterless day behind us, tempers are starting to get short, and I knew it was only going to be a matter of time before a fight broke out. What surprised me most, though, was that it was Old Man Kressel that finally said something. Well, he said several things by the time he was finished, using a lot of language that I don't think Becca had ever heard before. For that matter, there were a few choice words that I hadn't heard before. Most of them were directed at Lieutenant Atwood, and while the rest of us might not have heard some of those words before, Atwood didn't want to hear any of them. When it was all said and done, though, Atwood was a humbled man and Old Man Kressel had taken charge of our little band. It was for the better though.

He turned us into the morning sun and had us rowing east in pairs instead of rowing as individuals. Shorter rowing shifts as well. Everyone except Becca rotated in for some rowing time, even the Lieutenant, but I could see murder in his eyes. He'd given in for now, but once we made landfall, once we joined up with the others, if we ever found them, he'd try to re-establish himself as our leader and probably try to press charges of some sort against the old man.

By mid-day, with Becca serving as our look-out, we finally spotted land. Another three hours of hard rowing had the keel scraping up against the beach. Finally. We've set up a crude campsite and managed a small fire, Hiram's managed to spear a few fish and Old Man Kressel, along with Becca, located a source of semi-fresh water. There's still a strong salty taste to it, but not near as bad as sea-water and, according to the old man, shouldn't hurt us none save to make us dash off to the bushes a little more often than we might normally do. We'll rest tonight and set out in the morning to see if we can find the others.

P.S. More coming once I clear up a few details

GW

loogie
04-24-2009, 11:03 AM
good entry.
so i signed up on campaign builders guild and am prepared to make a wiki... but we need a name, and i really have none specifically for this project... only thing that i can thing of that sounds like some sort of realm name is Magickwell... a realm i attempted (but failed) to create awhile ago. if you have any ideas let me know, but i'd like to get a wiki up asap...

loogie
05-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Well I've nixed the idea of campaign builder. I recently re-did my website and have a space set up for my RPing foibles... I believe I will place the info there. I'd use the sister sites if I had a bit more control, but this way i get to do it how I want, and with cbg I just wouldn't get that option.

I'm going to work on putting it together this weekend, and I have some friends who've thought up some more characters... so hopefully soon I will get to post a host of new entries!

loogie
05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Well here's another entry... took awhile, but i've been busy. I'm hoping to have all the entries up in chronological order on my site, including a list of the current cast. Till then, enjoy!

At first we had thought Randall lost to his grief, for several days he did little but sleep. A few days ago he emerged, with a strong vengeance in his eyes. Since then he has accompanied the men into the forest on every foray, often running scouting missions alone, tracking the beasts much like they do us. Several times he has intercepted an attack, and wounded several of the beasts in the process. Reports from the men have included such ridiculous claims as he sees from their eyes, and that the spirit of his child and wife now bolster his senses. I know not if any of this talk is true, but I know his successes have had a positive effect on the men. They hail him as a hero, one which is needed at this time.

Today is different however, for Randall has not only defended our men from attack, but has gained his first kill in the name of revenge for his family. Just after mid-day I was summoned from my tent to find the whole of the men crowded around Randall. After pushing through the throng I saw a slight smile on the man's face. He nodded to the ground, where I saw the beast (one of many so Randall later told me) that has been causing our entire plight.

It was reptilian, a slight bit bigger then the average man. It maw was large, and filled with dagger-like teeth, easily capable of tearing through the weak leather that most of our men wore. It had four limbs, the front two being quite small, with short, sharp claws at the end of each 3 fingered hand. They were quite diminutive compared to its legs, large and muscular, it was no doubt this beast could run quite fast. The middle toe of each foot held an over sized claw, very large and very dangerous, and looking at some of the wounds my men have taken, most likely its favourite method of dealing damage. It had a large tail, almost as long as it is tall, making it quite the foe indeed.

I spoke to Randall privately late in the day, he has become quite knowledgeable about these beasts. He said that they are not overly intelligent, no more then that of a wolf. They hunt in packs, luring their pray to an easy kill, using numbers and surprise to their advantage. When I asked him of his grief for his family he stated his sorrow is immense, but he believes that they are with him guiding him to help the others. I can only hope that to be true.

The beast Randall has brought to us has confirmed my hopes; we have in fact landed in Northrendale. The similarities between this beast and the Veloraptors in the monk’s writings are uncanny. The biggest difference is the markings found on this beast, most likely because of the difference in habitat. We need to set about a more permanent camp and docks to bring the remainder of our expedition in to continue our search. The black ore must be close, I can feel it!

ps:disregard mentions ofbthe land by name, they are as of yet just placeholders

loogie
05-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Well i completed a quick sketch of the city (with a pen no less), to highlight the progress up till now. The wooden palisade has been completed, and the Aspen is quickly becoming nothing more then a pile of timber. Most of the residents are safe inside the walls, tho a few still prefer to reside on the daisy may, coming ashore during the day and leaving at night.

A quick description of the buildings and such shown on the map... The ship looking thing is the aspen (i believe it needs to be increased in size, but alas, pen cannot be changed), and it is sitting on the beach close to a small ledge where the sand meets more solid soil and erodes away, Its not high by any means, but steep so the only simple way up it is through the worn path into the middle of the camp. Directly to the left of the path is the Lords tent, quite large, but also serving multiple purposes (storing some supplies, a meeting hall, etc...). To either side of the tent are his guards tents, Algrim and Baor, who are rarely actually guarding the man. Scattered about are the survivors tents, small ones generally 1 or 2 person capacity, the larger meant for families, holding up to 4 adults. There is a large section of tented area in the middle of the camp which is the remaining supplies from the Aspen, more supplies from the daisy may are being brought in every day. On the left side of the path by the beach is generally the carpentry area, which has been exclusively fasioning the poles for the palisade. There is one tent that is outside the log wall and that is the tent of Randall, originally for his family, Randall refuses to move, saying that the spirits of his wife and son visit him at that location. Being a main part of the defense of the city, he is usually stationed at the sentry fire outside his tent. There are 4 sentry fires alltogether, each has a view of one side of the city. One is stationed right outside the entrance to the city, 2 on either side, and one more located on the beach. The beach fire is mainly used for communal purposes, the cooking of food, and general passing of time in the early hours of the night.
The hatched areas along the beach signify the start of the steep incline, while the hatched areas around the city signify the trampled long grass (the grass in this area is about shoulder high... think jurrasic park 2) There are several fairly worn paths to both forests, tho the path to the north has been the only one in use for a fair time.

Life in the city has calmed down since the first kill of the monsters. Generally most of the able men either go out to gather wood during the day, or take the two dingys out for some fishing, since theres plenty decent sized fish to catch in the small bay. Those who stay behind are either processing the timber,cooking meals, or any of the other menial tasks that need doing. Midafternoon things slow down (far before dark) and everyone takes refuge inside the walls of the camp. A small number of guards keep watch while daylight still shines, joined by more as the night falls. People generally gather around the large fire on the beach each night, sharing stories and tales, and enjoying one anothers company.

Steel General
05-07-2009, 06:16 PM
This is really enjoyable to watch develop.

loogie
05-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks SG.. i guess i should comment that the original orientation of this picture should be like my previous map, so the beach is kind of east south east, so the trail to the north goes over the river and up the ridge to the other patch of forest. That didn't happen since I used the best angle to get everything in on my phone.

sigurdbjohansson
12-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Did this move?

Or did it die? :`(