PDA

View Full Version : The Tartarus - Prisoner Transport Deckplans

Turgenev
04-20-2009, 05:51 PM
I've been re-watching the first season of Blake's 7 and I got the idea of drawing up a prisoner transport ship. Here's my work in progress for the prisoner level of the ship. I still have to add some more details here & there but this should give you an idea of how it is going to look. The next level will be the ship command and crew area, hyperspace drive, a couple defensive weapons, etc.

I picture the cells to have an energy barrier as a door. Each cell has a small area where food (or food tablets) are dispensed and a small area for waste removal. The cells are otherwise spartan in nature. The solitary block has no food dispenser and has only a drain in the floor for waste removal. The cells hold 1 prisoner each with each cell block holding 25 prisoners for a total payload of 50 prisoners. The purpose of this ship is to transport prisoners to penal colonies/stations/what-have-you. This ship could also be used as a slaver ship.

Steel General
04-20-2009, 06:04 PM
For some reason I kept reading this as 'Tardis', and I was thinking... "Oooh he's doing Dr. Who stuff now, how cool".

Then I read it more carefully and had to give myself the proverbial *smack to the forehead*. Another great plan Turgenev.

Turgenev
04-20-2009, 06:15 PM
LOL! Well, I am a HUGE Doctor Who fan so you never know. Actually any of my ship plans could be used in the Doctor Who universe set in the earth's future. Many years ago, I mapped out the TARDIS that my own Time Lord character had so maybe that is an idea for something to recreate in the future. ;)

Sigurd
04-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Go ahead map the Tardis.... I want to see the _inside_ ...

:mrgreen::):mrgreen:

Sigurd

Xyll
04-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Wouldn't mapping the Tardis inside be like mapping the 666 layers of the abyss? :twisted:

Very nice map BTW

Talroth
04-20-2009, 11:07 PM
I've always wondered why cell doors in Science Fiction are always something that fails when the power goes off.

What ever happened to good old METAL doors and bars? Like really, a metal door, with a metal lock bar, does NOT easily open if someone trips the wrong breaker.

But I like the layout for the most part, but I think you should be able to cram far more criminals in there.

My personal favorite method for holding inmates for sci-fiction transit is in small life support pods. Stack them in like cord wood, and if anyone manages to get too wound up in their small coffin sized cells, then just lower their life support levels till they go back to sleep.

Turgenev
04-20-2009, 11:24 PM
I've always wondered why cell doors in Science Fiction are always something that fails when the power goes off.

What ever happened to good old METAL doors and bars? Like really, a metal door, with a metal lock bar, does NOT easily open if someone trips the wrong breaker.
That's a good point and one I'm going to think about.

But I like the layout for the most part, but I think you should be able to cram far more criminals in there.
I could see anywhere from 2 - 3 prisoners per cell. I assume slavers would fill the cells to max capacity. The cells are 5 ft wide and about 7 - 8 ft long. In the final write-up, I will probably include a range of prisoner capacity (i.e. 50 - 100 prisoners).

My personal favorite method for holding inmates for sci-fiction transit is in small life support pods. Stack them in like cord wood, and if anyone manages to get too wound up in their small coffin sized cells, then just lower their life support levels till they go back to sleep.
My wife mentioned about putting all prisoners to sleep in cryogenic pods but I mentioned that the power requirements were too high and expensive and it was cheaper to treat the prisoners as rodents in a cage. ;) I picture this prisoner transport ship as having various security measures set up including gas flooding the cell block rending all unconscious.

Turgenev
04-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Wouldn't mapping the Tardis inside be like mapping the 666 layers of the abyss? :twisted:
Exactly. ;)

Very nice map BTW
Thanks Xyll.

ravells
04-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Re the prisoners escaping: I think that the reason why is because many books / films would be very boring if the prisoners did not escape.

Great plans, Turgenev! I could rep you all day for these but it won't let me for the time being!

alaskanflyboy
04-21-2009, 01:47 PM
The idea is probably that all the doors on the ship are designed to open when the power fails so that they are not sealed. In grand cost-saving fashion, they just bought the same door-opening mechanism in bulk, including the ones for the cell door. Or it could be Ravells' thought. Yeah, it's probably Ravell's thought.

My first thought when looking at this map, though, was; the crew sure sits closer than the prisoners to radioactive stuff that can potentially make them sterile for life.

Turgenev
04-21-2009, 05:56 PM
My first thought when looking at this map, though, was; the crew sure sits closer than the prisoners to radioactive stuff that can potentially make them sterile for life.
I'm going with the idea that the engine room has proper shielding so there is no risk of radioactive exposure for anyone. That is if the ship is even using radioactive fuel. As far as I know, ion drives wouldn't be considered to be radioactive in nature. ;)

Turgenev
04-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Re the prisoners escaping: I think that the reason why is because many books / films would be very boring if the prisoners did not escape.

Great plans, Turgenev! I could rep you all day for these but it won't let me for the time being!
Thanks Ravi. As for prisoners escaping, I was thinking that is the power went out, there could be a back-up system that drops steel bars from the ceiling, thus sealing off the cells. I guess it depends on what the GM's goal is. To have the prisoners escape and cause havoc on the ship or wait until they dropped off on a prison planet where they have to fend for themselves without any outside assistance. ;)

As for the rep, save it for the finish product. :P This is still a work in progress. I have a few more touches to do on this level and then I need to draw the next level.

ravells
04-21-2009, 06:19 PM
I can't tell you how much I love this style of deck mapping.

Turgenev
04-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks Ravi. Here's the finalized pic of the Prisoner deck level (for now at least :P).

The grey area under the ladders (in the airlocks towards the fuel reserves) represent an open space. Basically there is a crawl space under this level that has an access to more fuel reserves. Plus there is the level above this one where the ship's flight crew are stationed.

Nomadic
04-22-2009, 01:50 AM
question here but where are the engines? are they on another level?

Turgenev
04-22-2009, 02:13 AM
The engines are at the back in the area labeled Engineering and will be on the next level and on the level underneath this one. Basically they span all of the levels of the ship. I ended up tweaking the map again so here is the revised version. It's not over until the map shows up in the Finished Maps subforum. :P

Turgenev
04-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I did some revising (I changed the name from lower deck to middle deck) and added a new level.

Talroth
04-22-2009, 02:53 PM
My wife mentioned about putting all prisoners to sleep in cryogenic pods but I mentioned that the power requirements were too high and expensive and it was cheaper to treat the prisoners as rodents in a cage. ;) I picture this prisoner transport ship as having various security measures set up including gas flooding the cell block rending all unconscious.

Well, you stuff them into prisoner sized boxes, stuff a feeding tube down their throats, a few "collector" vacuum tubes up the needed holes, and provide just enough O2 to keep them from actually dieing. Chill them a little by a heat exchange on their O2 line that goes near a cold side of the hull.

A design I'm planning to use in a computer game, basically if you're not wealthy, the only way to travel is like that, possibly with come tissue stabilizing agents used to keep people from aging. Poor passengers would be handled the same as bulk containers! And be really screwed if someone messes up paperwork and stuffs them in the back of a warehouse for fifty years or so.