PDA

View Full Version : What are you playing?

pyrandon
05-02-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm wondering as I peruse our hallowed threads here, what rpg's do my fellow Guildies here play? I suspect we're D20 heavy; is that true? What about you?

Plus, what is the actual flavor/tone of the game you play?

Finally, just for fun, if you feel like it, I like to know something about who's posting what. Say a word or two about that, too!

MINE:
I play GURPS Fantasy via a weekly on-line game. Our game tends to be character-drama heavy, fairly realistic, low-magic, and less "module" driven than campaign driven. Characters have a good chance of croaking in every battle, too, which has interesting affects & effects on game play.

I myself am 37, a secondary English teacher, 14 years married with two little kidlets. Have gamed since 1979--though with a long college/career break in there. Interests: karate, Christianity, literature, & long walks on the beach!

ravells
05-02-2007, 03:23 PM
D20 Traveller on Grip or Fantasy Grounds when r/l doesn't intrude. It's hard to put a description on the flavour of the games we play, generally it's one on one although our player base is growing slowly, less guns and more brains I suppose. We are also more module than campaign driven, mainly because playing over the internet is much slower than playing face to face.

I'm 42, married, no children but with two cats and a dog, I'm a lawyer by trade. First started RPGs in school in about 1980 and then in university. After that my interest went onto board gaming and I've only recently come back to RPGs. I've always had an interest in Cartography of the 'real' variety; I collect maps. My interests, apart from cartography mainly lie in history, WW2 aviation, 3d modelling, science fiction and fanstasy.

Ravs

RPMiller
05-02-2007, 05:45 PM
I knew there was a reason I liked you guys...

I've played more RPGs than I can count. Currently I'm running a Champions game online and gearing up for a Western Hero game also online. Both games are pretty much single adventures because of the speed of PbP, but there is a possibility of a second adventure if there is interest and players. Both games have gritty realism as I prefer more realism in my games. I ran a GURPS game, set in my own created world, for about 3 years but got burned out and had to stop. It was a combination fantasy and scifi setting that to this day my friends beg me to start up again.

I am 37, a network administrator, just celebrated my 14th anniversary, and I have two kids (girl and boy), 1 dog and 2 cats. I got my wife and kids into roleplaying as well. In recent years I've become much more interested in board games, and our best friends are responsible for that. I started RPGs in 1979 with D&D and went RPG crazy after that. I am currently taking a hiatus from working on my black belt in Taekwondo (second attempt, first time was in my teens) while I take college classes working toward an MIS degree. I have also been spending a fair amount of time trying to learn Poser 7, Carrera, and Bryce. I dinker with PhotoShop 7 quite a lot but still call myself a beginner.

Oh, and I was born in Detroit but moved to Sacramento when I was 9.

It's a good thing none of us have anything in common huh? ;) :lol:

Robbie
05-02-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm primarily a D&D nut...D20 all the way...I've dabbled in hackmaster and am going to be dabbling in some d20 modern/darwins world soon...but thats about it. I currently DM a campaign thats not too teribly active...I wish it was more active, but it can be tough getting the players (which include my wife) together. I've mostly ran my own campaign settings or pieces of friends campaign settings, right now I'm running my second full-scale-ground-up world and I enjoy doing it.

I'm 31, former US Air Force, former web application developer, now a senior systems engineer contracted to the navy basically running and updating flight sims and other virtual trainers in the aviation physiology community. I'm married as mentioned before, no kids, she's a flight nurse. I have a siberian huskie pet, and thats about it. I also enjoy doing graphics and 3d modelling...which is what got me the current job.

Dyne
06-06-2007, 01:52 AM
I play almost exclusively d20 D&D, playing since high school for several years. I used to play d20 Star Wars, but I'm not sure if I want to get back into that; I suppose I'll wait and see what the new edition of the game is like. Dabbled in d20 Modern a little bit, and that's about it. I've been thinking about trying out some of the "smaller" games like Monte Cooke's Arcana Unearthed, but haven't really had the chance (and don't know anyone that plays those games).

Oh, and I'm a single student starting college this fall.

Naryt
06-06-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm a player in the game Don mentions. I also GM a GURPS modern fantasy/horror tainted game for the times when Don needs a break. I can't say much more about it as only a week in game has passed the characters just boarded a plane for Dubai with a one-eyed professor by the name of Henry Jones. I also occasionally run a game of Faery's Tale for my kids (thanks Don!). I've been playing since mid-2005.

I'm 36, married with four children, two fish and a dog. I am not a network administrator/programmer but I play one at work. I enjoy my family, RPing, maps (hehe), books, read, writing, storytelling, bad jokes, gardening (surprising to me that is), fishing, backpacking, computers, video games (not so much anymore though), church and yoga.

RPMiller
06-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Faery's Tale!!! What do you think of it? Any feedback? Do you have any play session write-ups? Do you play using the Dark Essence at all? How do your kids do with that aspect? Do they have a favorite type of faery? Would you have any interest in adventures, settings, or *ahem* maps for it? Do you have any questions about it?

Yes, there is a professional reason I'm asking. ;)

palehorse
06-06-2007, 06:03 PM
We play whatever strikes our fancy! :D I GM pretty much exclusively, but we don't have any particular game that we play more than any other; we usually stick with short campaigns (12-15 sessions is a long one for us; most are 2-5). Right now I'm running a Risus game inspired by One Piece for my wife and son. As for the whole group, we just wrapped up one of many sessions of Mutants & Masterminds. (If I had to pick one favorite game for our gang, M&M would be it!)

Next up will probably just be a couple of one-shots. Probably a horror game next, but I don't have a rule system in mind. I'll probably just grab one that's handy a couple of hours before the game starts and just wing it from there. I run my games like Roger Corman makes movies: I work fast, I'm not looking to win an Oscar, and I'm not afraid to go for the cheap thrills.

Jharviss
06-06-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm a 19 year old university student double majoring in English (creative writing emphasis) and political science. I have been gaming for eight years, so quite a while considering my age. I'm currently in three D&D 3.5 campaigns, two of which I am DMing. I almost always DM -- I dislike being a player, I find it too limiting and a little bit boring. I may be adding a fourth game soon, though one of my campaigns should be coming to a close soon. I work as an freshmen orienter for my university, which logs me about 60 hours a week. I'm hifalutin and a bit of a perfectionist. I'm humble when I'm not cocky. And I'm tired.

I enjoy a well-run game. I normally play dirty fantasy, as I try to get my fantasy fairly realistic. That's a chore, of course. I like a mid-fantasy world where I can play games on either end of the spectrum. I've played super-low magic and high magic. I've dabbled in other systems but always come back to D&D. The one game I'm playing in right now is D20 Future, and it's brilliant. The system's not perfect, but it's made well enough to be easily playable. So I'm enjoying that.

Naryt
06-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Faery's Tale!!! What do you think of it? Any feedback? Do you have any play session write-ups? Do you play using the Dark Essence at all? How do your kids do with that aspect? Do they have a favorite type of faery? Would you have any interest in adventures, settings, or *ahem* maps for it? Do you have any questions about it?

Yes, there is a professional reason I'm asking. ;)

I replied in a new thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/viewtopic.php?t=339).

Torq
06-07-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm 37, married with two kids. Started gaming in 1983 with D&D 1st Ed. Thereafter 2nd Ed., Rolemaster, Homemade system, Warhammer and back to D&D 3rd Ed and 3.5. The system that I DM at the moment is Iron Heroes. I find it amazing after many years of becoming tired of High Magic campaigns to find a system that encourages gritty low-magic play where there is still a mystique associated with the arcane. Two games, one F2F and one online using Kloogewerks.

Making floorplans for the games is the reason I got into mapping and learned to use the GIMP.

Other interests include playing the guitar, karate, rugby (unfortunately only watching now) and dabbling in some 3d modeling. Big moment when my son turned 8 in March and I bought him the D&D starter set. Our first game was something special. Says something about the hobby I think.

Torq

RPMiller
06-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Another martial artist... We'll have to have a CG cage match. ;)

I bought my son the basic set as well. I concur very special and definitely says something about the hobby.

Koor
06-08-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm 27, have really only played 3E D&D and a little bit of of VtM. I began playing D&D back in 2001 when a friend invited me over to play, and my first response was "I'm a nerd, but i'm not that big of a nerd." I was wrong, and have loved it ever since. I began playing back when I was on active duty, but since I got out and joined the guard, I've discovered that Indiana seems to be a dead zone for D&D, and it's killing me. For the last 3 years i've pretty much just been collecting the new WoTC supplements and talking to my old gaming buddies across the states about how bad we miss playing.

Recently I've met an awesome girl who is now living with me, and despite her never having played video games before, I've turned her into an EQ2 addict. I'm hoping to drag her into D&D, but having never DMed myself, I'm kinda worried. I've periodically gotten on a D&D kick where I build more onto my campaign world, but I still haven't tried that campaign yet.

I've been somewhat inspired recently by this post on the WoTC forums:
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=471897

RPMiller
06-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Koor, have you considered an online roleplaying interface such as Battlegrounds that would allow you to play with your friends across the country? Or a play by post game? I've found them to be a good replacement for face to face games.

pyrandon
06-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Koor, have you considered an online roleplaying interface such as Battlegrounds that would allow you to play with your friends across the country? Or a play by post game? I've found them to be a good replacement for face to face games.

I agree 100%!! Without this, I would not be gaming at all today--and I do it with my friend of 25 years who now lives clear across the country!

If money is an issue, some of the programs (such as what I use, OpenRPG) are completely free!

Koor
06-08-2007, 07:26 AM
I tried a play by post game once, with a bunch of strangers, but every time I logged in to post my part for the day, I'd see the plot had been advanced along and my character was left scrambling to catch up. It was supposed to be that it was a one post a day thing from the DM, but instead he posted several times at sporadic times and left me in the dust.

I tried convincing my old dm to start one, but he couldn't figure out how to host a game through them after he had started an account there.

RPMiller
06-08-2007, 12:04 PM
I agree. It is difficult to find a group you can mesh with just like in a face to face situation, but I've been able to do it as have others so we know it is possible. I wouldn't give up. Starting an online game is pretty easy. Where was your GM trying to get one started? Perhaps I could give you some instructions to get started.

Koor
06-09-2007, 12:35 AM
It was http://www.dndonlinegames.com/index.php

RPMiller
06-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Interesting site. There is a lot going on there. I could understand getting lost.

There are several new player threads there that you can read to get up to speed, but it might be better to try a less busy site especially if you already have a group ready to go.

I don't highly recommend this site http://rpol.net/ but it is easy to get a game started and has some nice features. I can more easily recommend it with the assumption that it will be your group playing. If you were going to start an open game and let anybody in, I would be a bit more reluctant to recommend it as I had some bad experiences in that regard. As a disclaimer that was my experience though and probably not the same for everyone.

There are many other similar sites out there, but you should do your due diligence and I recommend lurking in a few threads before diving in.

I actually spent a great deal of time and played in many games at http://www.hdrpg.com/projecthdrpg/ but I ended up leaving due to a lack of participation speed. It is worth checking out as well again assuming you have a group ready to go.

Hoseman
06-10-2007, 01:20 AM
I play mostly D&D 3.5. I am a player in Arcana's much-too-infrequent but always-a-blast D&D game. I am also the guy trying to get him into d20 Modern / Darwin's World 2 (by RPGObjects, my FAVORITE publisher) if we can get our schedules in line. I started playing 1st edition AD&D in 1983 (at the tender age of eight). I've played a ton of different systems, but I'm currently most interested in d20 Modern (Urban Arcana or Dark Matters), Post-Apocalyptic (Darwin's World 2) and Horror (Year of the Zombie). I also want to start using the recently released Fantasy Grounds 2 for some online gaming. I actually collect a lot now, and play much less than I'd like to.

I am a 32-year-old Web Developer who also manages the web department at the same command as Arcana. I code mostly in ColdFusion, but do a bit of ASP or .NET as the need arises. I also manage about 3000 pages and I am currently implementing a CMS to make managing those pages easier. I am married with 2 kids (one is 4 and one is 7months). I have two dumb dogs and I enjoy pro wrestling (yeah, so what?), MMA (UFC, Pride), reading, keeping my pool clean, and not mowing the yard. :)

RPMiller
07-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Bump... just to get people talking some more. :)

Midgardsormr
09-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Klaatu varata nicto!

Rise, thread! Rise and live again!

I'm new here, but this being such a friendly community, I thought I'd introduce myself properly.

My current system of choice comes from Unknown Armies by Greg Stolze and John Tynes. I've adapted it for a fantasy setting and am currently running a play-by-post campaign with it. I'll GM or play pretty much anything I can get my hands on, although I tend to enjoy "narrativist" games more than the other types. Unfortunately, I have few friends close by, and very little time to game, so I feed my addiction with board games. I'm hoping to pick up Battlelore soon.

I am 31 and married with no children. Our first wedding anniversary is this month. I am living in Wichita, KS right now, but my wife and I both want to go to an art/technical school in Denver next summer, so I won't be here much longer. She's going into graphic design, and I want to get into visual effects for film or television.

I am interested in history, games (obviously), music (I play percussion and a little bit of both guitar and piano), sci-fi and fantasy in any form I can get them, reading and writing, kung fu, comparative religion (I am a Protestant Christian), mathematics, and probably quite a few other things that do not occur to me at the moment.

I am the webmaster for the Christian Gamers' Guild (http://www.christian-gamers-guild.org), and the public relations coordinator for Fans for Christ (http://www.fansforchrist.org).

I think that pretty well sums me up.

pyrandon
09-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Unfortunately, I have few friends close by, and very little time to game, so I feed my addiction with board games. I'm hoping to pick up Battlelore soon.

Just FYI, I felt the same way--for over a decade--then I took a plunge on OpenRPG & it has allowed me to play once again (once a week, even!). There are plenty of these sorts of virtual tabletops out there--you may want to check them out! :)

Welcome to the Guild!

RPMiller
09-11-2007, 04:15 PM
You can get a good start by going here:
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/links.html

And then scan down the page for "OTHER VIRTUAL TABLETOP PROGRAMS"

Luminous Crayon
09-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Bump... just to get people talking some more. :)Sure, I'll bite.

I got into gaming a few years back, via Star Wars d20 and later, D&D. Fellow in my town was running some games over the summer while we were all home from college, and I really sank my teeth into it. Got to be really good friends with the GM, started running my own games, etc.

I started writing my campaign world shortly thereafter, and it's been a work in progress for about five years now. School has kept me too busy to make very fast progress (I'm a graduate student in music theory, and teaching classes as well as taking them), but I make my progress slowly and steadily. I'm not really affiliated with d20 any more; my project is currently drifting in search of game-mechanic underpinnings.

I don't really play much these days. I was in a few IRC-based games in the past year or so, but in all cases, I had to quit due to lack of free time. Unfortunate.

Fister
09-12-2007, 12:39 AM
I had played D&D and later D20 games for nearly 15 years before being introduced to GURPS. I have been happily converted and am currently involved in a cinematic, extremely high magic, high technology game loosely modeled after the RIFTS campaign setting. Recently, I was also involved in a low magic Greek mythological game that was a great time. We play bi-weekly at my place, sometimes with the aid of a projector focused on the game table.

My love for maps has been derived from my youth of gaming and equally from soldiering and having to had rely on maps on a daily basis.

I am a mid-career Soldier seeking a commission at a public university. I reside in the Orlando, FL area with my terrific wife (who also games with me).

Interests consist of physical fitness, philosophy, current events, soldiering, and maps.

Andugus
09-12-2007, 12:40 AM
I game via the Internet and Fantasy Grounds II almost exclusively now. I have abandoned D&D since the announcement of 4.0 and have started using Savage Worlds. This system is by far the best I have found for Internet gaming and perhaps face to face as well, though I have not tested that yet.

I am working on material for a set of adventures focused around a single city setting. I look forward to learning and helping others here if able.

torstan
09-12-2007, 06:04 AM
I've been playing D&D in its various incarnations from basic and 1st Edition in '88 (at the tender age of 8) to 3.5 today. I've tried a few other systems as a DM and player (MERP, Call of Cthulhu, Ars Magica, Warhammer and D20 modern) but I keep coming back to D&D. I run two regular campaigns, one with a group I started in University back in 2000 which is still going strong, and another with a group from home. Both are run almost exclusively using maptool, an excellent free VTT that I highly recommend. The game I run is a pretty standard Forgotten Realms, classic D&D style campaign. I allow the players to pick from most of the expansion books and try to figure out how to design a world that would work with that much magic in it. It's challenging, but a lot of fun, though things are starting to slow down a bit now that they've hit 13th level...

The reason for getting into map making is solely due to having to use maptool. I hadn't drawn anything in Gimp until a year ago. I've had to use maptool because my work took me from the UK to Poland. I'm a high energy physics research fellow at Warsaw University trying to figure out what dark matter is, and what will happen when we create it for the first time on earth (probably) when the Large Hadron Collider starts in spring...

The round of postdoc applications are coming up again and we (girlfriend of 8 years and myself) are trying to decide which country to visit next - with the states being high on the list. Other than work, I like drawing and painting, playing squash and sailing. I used to fence but that's turned out to be tricky in Warsaw. Oh, and I'm 27 as of yesterday.

ravells
09-12-2007, 08:02 AM
I just hope that when we make dark matter in the Collider, the earth doesn't vanish in a puff of nothing! Happy birthday!

torstan
09-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks!

If it disappears in a puff of nothing then a lot of theories are very wrong :) We might get mini black holes though (they will evaporate away in fractions of a second) which would be cool. Though if they appear then the theories I work on are definitely wrong.

Wordman
09-12-2007, 10:55 PM
This is as good a place as any for my first post.

For the last few years, I've been mostly running Exalted (http://rpg.divnull.com/exalted/). Prior to that I was a devoted Shadowrun fan. Before that were two killer campaigns with the same crew, one diceless, one 2nd Ed D&D game. Before that I was a Battletech/Mechwarrior junkie. Before that was an odd mix of Top Secret, Star Frontiers and Gamma World. A smattering of other games occurred throughout: In Nomine, Unknown Armies, Earthdawn, Heroes Unlimited, octaNe, Blue Planet, some homebrew stuff and a bit of d20.

I'm in my late thirties now, and have been playing since I was about 12.

Prior to seeing this site, I was under the impression that I was a passable map maker. I now see I have quite a bit to learn. I look forward to it.

RPMiller
09-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Welcome to the community Wordman!! I have wanted to play or be te Storyteller for Exalted for a long time. I have the core books and a couple others. I tried to join in a game so that I could get a sense of the setting and how to run it, but the ST was horrible and I left before I even started. I collected the comic for its couple issue run, but it ended before it got started. I tried the sample adventure from WW's website, but my group didn't really enjoy it. One of these days I suppose...

I also really wanted to give Shadowrun a college try, but the only gm I could find was horrible and his group and my group just didn't mesh very well. What little we played was fun though.

Of your other games, I've played Top Secret, Gamma World, Heroes Unlimited, D&D, and a few different d20 games. It sounds like you prefer the more 'eclectic' games.

As for the map making, we are here to help and will do what we can to help.

ravells
09-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Welcome, Wordman!

I'm glad to see more Cyberpunk, SF players here! We're a little short in that department(Traveller is my current game of choice).

Looking forward to seeing your work and helping where I can.

Ravs

Gamerprinter
09-13-2007, 11:43 PM
I've been playing since 1979 - D&D 1e, 2e, 10 year hiatus, 3.5. I've played: Runequest, Harn, Twilight 2000, Traveler, Space Opera, Aftermath, Call of Cthulu, HOL, Vampire (not LARP!), Werewolf, Paranoia...

But primarily D&D. Right now playing a lame game with a new DM, but some of it is OK, (he owns all the 3.x books - that's the only reason he's DM...)

Currently trying to build a D&D campaign on Eruvian.com with one of RichardB's maps - it lots of fun, lots of work though. Flavor - greek city-states and the Apocalypse! Orcs overrunning everything, half the land slid into the sea after earthquakes, etc, etc.

I'm 44, single with a german sheperd (Suiko) - she's my "daughter". I run the family business a digital graphics arts/printing studio, and getting my RPG Map POD shop going - gamer-printshop.com

jaerdaph
09-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Sorry I didn't find this thread earlier. It's nice to learn a little more about all the great people here! :)

Let's see, currently I'm hoping to start a campaign for Colonial Gothic (by Rogue Games), a horror RPG set during the American Revolutionary War. I'm a very big fan of horror roleplaying games, especially Victorian Horror (like Masque of the Red Death). My systems of choice are d20 Modern (which I use for Dark*Matter) and True20 (Freeport), but I really like the new 12 Degrees system from Rogue Games for its simplicity. I still play Star Trek (Last Unicorn Games version) whenever I can. I've run Pulp era games using Adamant Entertainment's Thrilling Tales, and I intent to use their Imperial Age supplements to start a Masque of the Red Death Victorian horror game soon as well.

I'm in my 40s, divorced, and I have one son who is now in college. In real life my background is in nonprofit and arts administration specializing in arts education. Currently I work as a freelance grant writing consultant for public schools and cultural organizations in New York City. My other interests include baseball (GO YANKEES!), opera, theater and reading (anything and everything).

pyrandon
09-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Let's see, currently I'm hoping to start a campaign for Colonial Gothic (by Rogue Games), a horror RPG set during the American Revolutionary War. I'm a very big fan of horror roleplaying games, especially Victorian Horror (like Masque of the Red Death).

This is a GREAT find--I really enjoyed looking over the system's wiki. My dream "pet project" has always been to write a Colonial sourcebook for GURPS--or, more likely, to co-write it, since I do not have sufficient solid history background, time, or nit-picky attention to detail to write it myself. My favorite idea for a setting: an alternate universe sort of colonial game where the New World is occupied by fantasy-esque creatures. :)

ravells
09-15-2007, 05:18 PM
The real horror would have been that the Brits won ;)

You'd all be drinking tea now!

Ravs

pyrandon
09-15-2007, 05:28 PM
The real horror would have been that the Brits won ;)

You'd all be drinking tea now!

Ravs

Hahaha---and would our food be even worse than it is now? (Ex: Big Mac with brown sauce?)

Midgardsormr
09-15-2007, 09:02 PM
My favorite idea for a setting: an alternate universe sort of colonial game where the New World is occupied by fantasy-esque creatures. :)

Did you ever read Orson Card's Alvin Maker books? They're set a little later than the colonial age, but they assume that all of the superstitions of the 1700's are true. As is so often true with Card, the first couple of books are amazing, but he carries things a little too far as he goes along. Still, they're very clever, if a little heavy on the allegory at times.

ravells
09-17-2007, 06:29 AM
Agreed Bryan, the first couple of Alvin maker books were great until he started flogging the idea to death (as he did with Ender's Game as well).

Another REALLY good read of alternate history is this era is 'Quicksilver' by Neal Stephenson. (http://www.amazon.com/Quicksilver-Baroque-Cycle-Vol-1/dp/0060593083/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2421081-3007321?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190021279&sr=8-1)

cheers

Ravs

NeonKnight
09-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Well I play.....D&D (yup, no big suprise there ;)), and I play Neverwinternights, and Battlefierd 1942, BF2, and BF2142, and I also play the Dungeons & Dragons Skirmish Game.

As for reading, I read mostly fantasy, some Sci-Fi, and the best alternate history books I read are Harry Turtledove's WWII books dealing with an alien invasion at the height of the war.

Gamerprinter
09-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Did you ever read Orson Card's Alvin Maker books? They're set a little later than the colonial age, but they assume that all of the superstitions of the 1700's are true. As is so often true with Card, the first couple of books are amazing, but he carries things a little too far as he goes along. Still, they're very clever, if a little heavy on the allegory at times.

But really after Red Prophet, it kinda went south.

I loved how Napolean has a camio appearance and gives a "charm" to LaFayette, saying that his enormous popularity as a General and French leader was due to an enchanted charm he carried.

Excellent series of books though, Orson Scott Card is great for characterization.

Wordman
09-17-2007, 01:20 PM
I have wanted to play or be te Storyteller for Exalted for a long time... I tried the sample adventure from WW's website, but my group didn't really enjoy it.
You might look at the Exalted Compendium Redux (http://patternspider.net) for questions about the game. I suppose I can also pimp my own intro adventure, Forgotten Suns (http://rpg.divnull.com/exalted/forgotten/), which also contains some of my map work.

For Shadowrun, Dumpshock (http://dumpshock.com) is a good place to start.

Shessar
09-17-2007, 01:44 PM
These kinds of posts are always fun, so hmmmm, letís seeÖ

Itís probably best if I give a bit of personal background before talking about what Iím playing. Iím female, 49 years old, been married to the same guy for 24 years, have two sons aged 23 and 19. Iíve been a stay at home mom for 22 years, but before that I worked as FORTRAN programmer and also did technical writing on the side.

So, Iím an old timer and my gaming preferences reflect this.

On the game side of things, Iím the primary DM for our weekly gaming night, and weíve been playing almost every week since 1983. I DM using a homebrew concoction of rules that combine 1st & 2nd AD&D, my hubby DMs occasionally using the original Rolemaster rules (you know the very, very original ones from the 80ís) and my older son DMs a 3rd edition campaign for us from time to time. We also translate some parts of our pen and paper game to table top war gaming using War Law for Rolemaster and the 2E Battle System (with homebrew modifications of course) for D&D.

Iíve also been an Assistant DM(builder/scripter) for the Neverwinter Nights 1 persistent world at A Land Far Away: www.alandfaraway.org where I was one of the major forces in bringing an Underdark server to the PW, and am currently signed up to work on their NWN2 uunderdark server, though free time has been scarce for me lately and I havenít participated much.

Other than that I read fantasy fiction, play free form play by post games occasionally because I love to write, and generally spend any time thatís left mapping out my campaign world, gardening, or just hanging out with family and friends.

Basically, I an old time gamer with a lot of free time on my hands to dedicate to gaming. :D

RPMiller
09-17-2007, 02:03 PM
You might look at the Exalted Compendium Redux (http://patternspider.net) for questions about the game. I suppose I can also pimp my own intro adventure, Forgotten Suns (http://rpg.divnull.com/exalted/forgotten/), which also contains some of my map work.

For Shadowrun, Dumpshock (http://dumpshock.com) is a good place to start.
How funny! When I was originally looking for more Exalted material/information I actually found your Forgotten Suns site and already pillaged it of everything I could. ;)

I will definitely check out the Exalted Compendium forums when/if I can convince my group to give it a shot. Thanks for the link!

RPMiller
09-17-2007, 02:05 PM
These kinds of posts are always fun, so hmmmm, letís seeÖ

Itís probably best if I give a bit of personal background before talking about what Iím playing. Iím female, 49 years old, been married to the same guy for 24 years, have two sons aged 23 and 19. Iíve been a stay at home mom for 22 years, but before that I worked as FORTRAN programmer and also did technical writing on the side.

FORTRAN... I'm sorry. ;):lol:

So, Iím an old timer and my gaming preferences reflect this.

Basically, I an old time gamer with a lot of free time on my hands to dedicate to gaming. :D

A lot of free time... *sigh* how I miss it. :)

Richardb
09-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Strangely, I don't play any RPG's. I play CRPG's (single player) when I get a chance. I am a collector more than anything in the RPG arena, owning a bit over 2,000 original mint pieces from the D&D (pre AD&D) era of TSR and Judges Guild. If it is available, I have one or two. If it is not available, I still likely have one! It took 25 years of active collecting and sifting through shops and online to get to where I am.

And as for me, I am 40, married for 15 years with a boy (9) and a girl (6), two dogs (mixed coon hound / lab) two cats, and a currently only one really big fish tank (200 gallons) but generally about 4 (I just can't keep them all up). Professionally I have been an EVP/COO type in the software/IT services industry for a bit over a decade. I chase kids, read, write, collect things, and make maps.

MGCJerry
09-24-2007, 12:59 AM
I play my homebrewed sci-fi game. I've been running it in one form or another for the past 15 years and have even run a nearly year long session on OpenRPG.

I'm actually currently running a session in-person for someone who has created many different characters to play different sides of the story.

I've also played a session of Werewolf.

As far as electronic (console, computer) RPGs, I've only played FF7, FF9 and the online FF at a friends place, FlyFF, & the Diablo franchise. I still prefer to think and write instead of staring at a screen.

Other than that... I'm pretty mundane at just about any other system, but I do like lurking in games regardless of the system.