PDA

View Full Version : Small Village

Poserfiend
04-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Another small village. This is the start of a larger scene.

Road leading fromt eh village will go to a small castle which i plan to do next.

Again, this is done in Vue, so I am including a wide angle perspective view as well.

enjoy

Sigurd
04-20-2009, 11:49 PM
How long did this take you?

I notice everything is on a basically flat plane. How hard would this be on randomly generated hills?

This is really really pretty. I like it more than your previous scene.

Makes you wonder what gamers, even the table top variety will demand in a couple of years. The desktop computers seem to be scaling..... interesting times.

Sigurd

Poserfiend
04-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Glad you liked it.

I actually started it on a hill, and decided to move it to a flat terrain to fit with the next one I have in mind. It is faily simple to generate and use hills.

Total time to generate including building the masks was about 3 hours, give or take a bit.

Ascension
04-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Another piece of sweetness there PF. I'd do something about the tiling on the road tho.

Steel General
04-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Yup gotta agree about the tiling, just a bit of a hiccup for an overall nice piece of work :)

Poserfiend
04-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Ok - Good comments on the road. I wasn't sure I liked it either. See what you think of this texture.

Steel General
04-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Texture is much better, but maybe the roads are a bit too perfect.

If this is a rural village I don't think they would have perfectly manicured road edges. Perhaps "rough" up the edges a bit. :)

Poserfiend
04-22-2009, 01:25 PM
An excellent suggestion. Here it is with the edges roughed up and blended into the surrounding terrain.

Steel General
04-22-2009, 03:21 PM
That helps a bunch I think.

NeonKnight
04-22-2009, 05:47 PM
It's good, but to me the thing with the roads is:

1. Why are they so wide? I see no evidence of Carts, or other conveyanced to necessitate such wide lanes.

2. Why do the roads/lanes go so far past a door? Especially around the church. People (and animals for that matter) use routes/paths of least resistance. It is why there are game trails in the wilderness, becuase it is easier to walk on.

My suggestion (and it's only a suggestion) is the side lanes leading to indivudual buildings would be more narrow and maybe only go as far as a doorway, and maybe around the side (to a wood pile or something). Beyound that, the paths would not see as much traffic and therefore not experience as much wear.

Otherwise, I like it.

Ascension
04-22-2009, 07:06 PM
My two cents echoes Neon's point slightly...path uniformity. Paths used more often will be wider than less used paths as NK said but also there are no real corners at intersections...people always tend to round off their path of travel unless a drill sergeant makes them do parade ground turns. Once you get these paths down it's gonna look even sweeter than it already does.

Poserfiend
04-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Some more good suggestions. I have redone the side roads on all the smaller village houses. The large road to the village manor I have left large.

The attached image is a larger view of the area to include the castle on a small hilltop just beyond the village.

I will upload battle maps of the area a bit later tonight.

I recoginize the village is small for supporting the castle. It is a recently re-inhabited castle, and the village is growing to meet the needs. I will expand it as the local population grows in my game.

Comments are always appreciated. This work though I will be wrapping up soon to begin work on some mountain scenes. The group will be going into some mountain areas to track down the "bad" guys in winter. Next up will be a small mountain mining camp nestled away high in the mountains of the far north of our game world.

Poserfiend
04-23-2009, 03:13 AM
Smaller roads. Adjusted some buildings.

Having some issues witht eh texture for the castle, so it will have to wait to be in the top down view.

Sigurd
04-24-2009, 03:42 PM
If you can do them, a lighter pattern of secondary paths might make it look more real. That, and a little more variation in the grass colour - areas of drought and green etc...