PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt using GIMP

ElfSpeaker
04-21-2009, 03:59 PM
First, I need to praise RobA for his excellent GIMP tutorial. Most of what I did was through following his direction.

I'm not happy with the larger mountain areas. The highest parts of the mountains looks flat. How can I avoid this on future maps?

Ascension
04-22-2009, 09:38 AM
That's a great lookin coastline, my intent this morning was to just surf but this one brought me out to say something. The mountains and forests need some work but I can't tell you what as I don't really know the tut by heart.

Steel General
04-22-2009, 11:04 AM
I agree, killer-looking coastal shape.

It seems that some people are able to "nail" RobA's tutorial and some don't. I had trouble with it myself when I tried it. Not sure why your mountains look that way, I'm sure someone with more knowledge of GIMP and the tutorial will be along shortly to give you some help/ideas.

Karro
04-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I don't know if I'll have time to refresh myself on the causes of these features, but what you are experiencing on your mountains and forests are pretty common problems met by people using RobA's tutorial. For my part, a little more time and practice helped out immensely.

ElfSpeaker
04-22-2009, 06:53 PM
I figured out the mountain problem. The blur didn't work at the edges of the maps so the color was flat. Even when I added the texture, it didn't show up. I'll fix it on my next map project.

su_liam
04-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Cool peninsula. I need some River Police points, so... There's a 619 in progress at the end of the Natherian Peninsula.

Steel General
04-23-2009, 08:11 AM
River infraction confirmed.

Rivers generally converge rather than split as they move toward lower elevations/toward the sea. Your river(s) at the northern end of the peninsula are breaking this general rule.

It also appears that the westernmost river on the mainland fails to reach the ocean/sea - unless its covered by the text and I just can't see it.

ElfSpeaker
04-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Yep, westernmost river is hidden by text. I'll avoid river splitting infractions sans explanation in the future.

Volsung
04-23-2009, 11:55 AM
I find that in general the forests from ROBA's tutorial do not look so good. You might try looking around for another tutorial. I was able to play around with color settings on mine until they looked good. I think that without the mountains and forests that this is a beautiful map. I would suggest finding another tutorial on both of those.