PDA

View Full Version : Vegla

Bohunk
04-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Friend of mine wanted a "quickie" so this is what he got. I tried to make it in a even earlier style (15th century instead of 18th). I believe I got the mountains wrong and probably some other stuff but he liked it. It gave me the opportunity to play with colors; I don't put too much color in my maps.

I think I might give 15th century style another go after I look at some of the maps from that era.

Steel General
04-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Kinda reminds me a bit of the maps the Belgariad & Mallorean series - only better. :)

Ascension
04-22-2009, 07:18 PM
When I first saw the title I thought it was about textured glass cuz Vegla is one of the companies...anyway, Pretty good quickie map.

Turgenev
04-22-2009, 09:04 PM
I really like this style. Well done!

Naeddyr
04-23-2009, 02:55 AM
I really like the style. :) But this really is a quickie innit? :D A few typoes and graticule lines going over the borders.

Are the coastlines designed or generated?

Bohunk
04-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Yea I fixed "forgotton" before I gave it to him. On alot of the maps in that era the grid most times goes over the border and labeled in the border. So I guess it could be handled either way.

I always generate coastlines using FT. Although on my next map I might not...depending.

ravells
04-23-2009, 05:06 PM
I love the dirtmap on the sea. Great quickie!!! How long did it take to do?

robb75067
04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
love the map Bohunk. Does anyone know how to do coastline waters like that in photoshop?

Bohunk
04-23-2009, 08:06 PM
I love the dirtmap on the sea. Great quickie!!! How long did it take to do?

FT time was about 15 minutes. I usually take alot more time than this with FT. I believe it to be one of the most important parts of the map.

About an hour in PSE.

robb --> if ya find out let me know.

Ascension
04-24-2009, 12:15 AM
If you're talking about the dark woodcut lines then you could do that with the Wind filter. Make a white layer then make a selection of the land, increase the size of the selection to suit, new layer, fill with black, deselect, merge down, Filter - Distort - Wind (use from left and from right a couple of times), then mask off the area to be visible (or simply delete the lighter tones with Select - Color Range). You could also add a bit of a wave to the lines with the Ripple filter...Filter - Distort - Ripple.

Bohunk
04-24-2009, 07:52 AM
If you're talking about the dark woodcut lines then you could do that with the Wind filter. Make a white layer then make a selection of the land, increase the size of the selection to suit, new layer, fill with black, deselect, merge down, Filter - Distort - Wind (use from left and from right a couple of times), then mask off the area to be visible (or simply delete the lighter tones with Select - Color Range). You could also add a bit of a wave to the lines with the Ripple filter...Filter - Distort - Ripple.

That was the first way I tried it. I think it works better this way: Selection of land, expand to suit, feather to suit, fill with white, add noise, horizontal motion blur to suit, then sharpen. After you sharpen (sometimes I sharpen two or three times), adjust brightness and contrast and your set.

Depending on the size of my map the wind filter was hell on my processor.

robb75067
04-24-2009, 10:45 AM
That was the first way I tried it. I think it works better this way: Selection of land, expand to suit, feather to suit, fill with white, add noise, horizontal motion blur to suit, then sharpen. After you sharpen (sometimes I sharpen two or three times), adjust brightness and contrast and your set.

Depending on the size of my map the wind filter was hell on my processor.

I don't have the wind filter. Is that something you can download?

Bohunk
04-24-2009, 05:42 PM
I don't have the wind filter. Is that something you can download?

I have Photoshop Elements 7 and my wind filter is under the stylize tab. I am not sure if you can get this specific one but I am sure there are others out there.

Ascension
04-24-2009, 07:40 PM
You're probably right about the motion blur being better...that's the good thing - lots of ways to get similar results.

Bohunk
04-24-2009, 08:42 PM
You're probably right about the motion blur being better...that's the good thing - lots of ways to get similar results.

Agreed, but I think its just better for me, others might like using wind. I use to use spatter then motion blur. Then I tried reticulation. Finally using noise gave it that look I was going for.

tmvanatta
05-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Like your map. I just might even use it in a few get togethers