PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Shegu

Bohunk
04-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Ever since Gameprinter's "the Gempei War" map in the February challenge, I have been thinking about a chain of islands map like japan. I spent about an hour on FT and came up with this coastline which I think looks pretty good. I plan on making a pretty in-depth map so to get some advise and crit I threw it up here as a WIP.

Ascension
04-26-2009, 09:50 PM
I think that there's a lot of nasty narrow straights for the sailors to navigate...should make for some fun :)

Steel General
04-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Very interesting archipelago... looking forward to the usual 'Bohunk-ian Goodness' :)

Bohunk
04-28-2009, 12:14 AM
So I posted this map yesterday, thinking I would get something done on it, and then everything went haywire with the kids. Anywho finally got to playing with it for a little bit and got the sea lines done. What is the technical term for them anyway?

guyanonymous
04-28-2009, 12:41 AM
I always called it the water. But I don't think that's what you're after :D

I'm curious now, myself. The more I learn about cartography, the more complex and interesting I've found it to be.

Bohunk
04-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Added grid, coastline and played with the "sea lines" a little bit. Mountains next.

Steel General
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
The grid lines seem a little dark/heavy, do you plan to lighten them later?

Bohunk
04-28-2009, 04:30 PM
SG - I don't know, we'll see how it looks when its finished.

Bohunk
04-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Fooled around with mountains abit and want to give these a go. Let me know what you guys think. I think they will work, although I might still play with them a bit.

Rivers next.

Steel General
04-29-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure quite how I feel about them, they remind me a bit veins on someones hand.

Maybe when more of the map is done, I can give a more constructive opinion :)

Ramah
04-29-2009, 07:54 PM
I think they'd work better if either the central white line that is the spine of the mountains was thinner, or maybe if it varied.

altasilvapuer
04-29-2009, 08:40 PM
I agree with Ramah: the white ridgelines are a little too wide (relative to the slopes) and too regular. They look to me like those thick brown vines that tend to grow up large hardwood trees, with the 'hairy' root-like structures clinging to the tree, itself.

-asp

Bohunk
04-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Rivers added. In the second pic I wanted to show what look I am trying to achieve. I think I will work on them some more.

altasilvapuer
04-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Ah, okay. After looking at the mountains in that map, I see what you're shooting for.

I think shrinking the white portion a little might still fix your problem, though. The map of the Isles appears to have shading at least as wide as the 'ridge' on either side, whereas yours has the 'ridge' quite a big wider than the slopes, relative to the total width of them.

That's just my personal opinion of it, though. As you get more parts of the map completed, your choice of spacing/sizing may turn out to work perfectly.

Can't wait to see more!

-asp

Greason Wolfe
04-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Durn these big files. I've really got to get a faster connection one of these days. :lol:

Anyways;

As always, I look forward to seeing your work, Bohunk. There's just something about your style that grabs me and keeps me interested. It'll be interesting to see how close you get to achieving the look you want with this map and when you get finished with it, I'll definitely take the time to load/look at what you've done. Until then, I'll just have to keep my curiosity piqued with the thumbnails included in the posts.

GW

Steel General
04-30-2009, 08:34 AM
OK, the second image you included definitely helps to show what you are trying to do.

I think you're on the right path - looking forward to your next update to see what you've come up with.

Bohunk
04-30-2009, 07:32 PM
New update. Played with mountains, I think I like them better. Labels, labels, labels...

Let me know what ya think.

...it needs color.

Ascension
04-30-2009, 10:51 PM
No matter what I can't get past Steel's comment about veins (mine look like that)...all I can think of is maybe if the "white line" had some variation in it's thickness (thinner as the range peters out). At any rate, far beyond me so keep up the good stuff.

Greason Wolfe
05-01-2009, 04:56 AM
Still looking good to me. In regards to the mountains. Perhaps a bit of grey-scale noise along the splines as well as a bit of blur would make them look less "vein-like" and give them a bit more variety in appearance. And, as Ascension said, narrowing them down near the ends of the chains might help as well. Not knowing whether they are on their own layer, however, I'm not sure just how you might accomplish that now.

GW

Bohunk
05-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Continued with the mountains. Gave them some randomness that we all seem to think was missing, also they are starting to look like some of the maps I am constantly staring at. Hopefully they are looking a little less like veins. :)

Also added river names, and I added the greenish color just to help out my eyes a little and I think I like it.

Still labeling...

ravells
05-01-2009, 05:41 PM
It's not just the artistic quality but the huge number of labels to your maps which give an indication of a massive scale. As you know I love your maps, and this one is no exception.

Ramah
05-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I think the new mountains look loads better now. I have to admit, I just couldn't get on with them before but now I think they look great. :)

Bohunk
05-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Just about finished. Added a ton more labels, borders between contries and a cartouche, (prob some more stuff that I forgot to mention). Thanks everyone for forcing me to work on my mountains, I would have probably left them vein-like if you guys hadn't mentioned anything. Keep the comments coming.

Ravs: I just like the look of ancient maps, most of which have thousands of names on them. I think it makes the world and/or map more realistic and lends itself to more imagination.

It is usually at this point where I start to wreck the map with age.

Ramah
05-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Not much of a nitpick but shouldn't it say "majesty's" on the cartouche?

Bohunk
05-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Not much of a nitpick but shouldn't it say "majesty's" on the cartouche?

Please do...I always screw something up spelling-wise. Thanks. I don't think so though, or at least the old map I stole it from got it wrong too, or at least that's how John Speed spelled it.

Steel General
05-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I wonder if it has something to do with the whole 'third person' aspect of referring to royalty?

overlordchuck
05-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Good golly, this map is filled to the brim with detail. The style of mountains is awkward to me, but I think that's probably just personal preference. Not sure about the "Majesty's" vs "Majesties" thing, but you do refer to him as "His High Majisty." Not sure if that was a typo, but I kind of like it.

/rep for your hard work

pasis
05-03-2009, 02:01 AM
this really turned out great. Eventhough I'm not the biggest fan of the mountains, they do not spoil this at all as this one has so many details in it. I love the feeling it has...

Bohunk
05-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Continued work on the mountains. At this point I think I am going to have to let them go. I am trying to achieve a certain look from 19th century maps and at this point it is probably impossible for either me or pse7.

As far as "his majesties" I reworded the cartouche so that it is not an issue. Imagine if John Speed got it wrong though, all those books that printed up that way...

Desaturated the green color, added an old paper feel to it. I guess this could be done hundred ways from this point. Let me know what ya think. I am already thinking of my next map.

Steel General
05-03-2009, 09:07 AM
I like the mountains now, I think the bevel really helped.

Ramah
05-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Agreed. I like them before but they became kinda ill-defined. The bevel really helps though and these mountains are the best of the lot in my opinion.

Great map btw.

StillCypher
05-12-2009, 04:10 PM
I am not at all surprised to see this looking absolutely yummy. :) The mountains look about 100% better, IMHO, and I always love all the detail included throughout the whole. This one has a lovely antique feel to it that I am liking very much.

Continuing the spelling fiesta, I'm going to volunteer my unrequested editorial skills. (Bet you're excited, huh?? I knew you would be!) You have majisty (with an "I") in the first case and majesty (with an "E" -- which is the correct version) in the second case. If the word is given the plural form (more than one king and/or queen), it becomes majesties. If it signifies that it belongs to the (singular) king, it is majesty's. And if it's more than one king, then it's majesties'.

And there, my darlings, is your English lesson for this month!

Bohunk
05-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Guys, thanks for the comments and being my spell check. Maybe in PSE8 they will include a spell check for me!

Anyway I decided to move this to finished folder after a couple of touchups. I finally found some time to finish it up and start a new project.

Attached is my inspiration for the dedication on my Shegu map. I put this up for two reasons: 1. To debate whether or not this is proper english and
2. To let you guys know I wasn't crazy!

Thanks again for the help.

Ramah
05-13-2009, 05:10 AM
No sweat. It can be seen from that text that it is old english with old english spelling. In context with it being an ancient map then your first spelling is obviously perfectly acceptable. Modern english rules about possession probably weren't standardised then.

I guess it just stuck out to a grammar spammer like me because of modern sensibilities. Obviously, what you should have done is started with "Ye Olde..." and then put an "e" on the end of every other word. :D

Steel General
05-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Proper English? As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing. :D

I've said it before, English is one of the most ridiculous and contradictory languages ever created. Thank god I learned it natively. :)

Novarri
05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
First, let me say, beautiful map.

Then, huzzah for discussions of language change over time! Considering that this was written for a king, it probably is as proper English as it could be. It's just...not Modern English. Most of the spelling things (in your book image) follow consistent rules: j is replaced by i, u with v (in most but not all cases) and actually...this doesn't look too old. I mean, it's pretty standard - at the bottom of the page, where the initial s in a word is replaced by f? That one's in just about all the documents from around the 1700s. As it would so happen, King James ruled from 1566 - 1625, so this is more like Shakespearean English. If you want the map a bit earlier (1400s-ish), you could throwback to Chaucer (http://www.haverford.edu/engl/chaucer/grammar.htm). Middle English is still legible by Modern English speakers, but it looks foreign enough and preserves enough of the awkward morphological rules that it can add an air of antiquity and good old old-fashionedness.

It depends on when you want this map to have been made, I suppose, or how arcane you want to get with your language. Anyway, the map itself is brilliant and skilfully done, and the language sounds about right and looks well-placed.

StillCypher
05-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Clearly Mr. Speed was a cartographer, not an English linguist...! :D

I love looking at those old prints. They're so awesome. So... elementary!

lab205
05-19-2009, 08:53 AM
I really love this map, its one of my favorites so far, I'll need to check out your other maps.