PDA

View Full Version : Yitheria [WIP]

Orion
04-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Hello there, I've been lurking these parts for about a week now absorbing tidbits of information and have started work on my first map, in photoshop, or ever for that matter.

What we have below is the beginnings of the eastern continent of the world I'm developing. So far I've spent the most time on the water, which I feel I've got looking quite nice. The texture down on the land at the moment is a semi-place holder, I'll decide whether to keep it or not once I get some mountains, forests, and deserts down on top of it. The scale is (1 square = 50 miles).

I'm not too confident or set on anything in this map so I am happy to hear all criticisms and suggestions!

Korash
04-28-2009, 07:40 AM
here is some rep for posting a map in your first post :)

As a start this ain't half bad. one suggestion for the future would be to hide the grid, or tone it down, when you post the map. it is a bit strong and overpowers the stuff underneath.

If you haven't already, check out the tutorial Forum for other pointers. Will watch to see where this goes.

Ascension
04-28-2009, 08:39 PM
So far so good I say. I might suggest to make the pattern on the land smaller but, as you say, we'll have to wait for the mountains and forests and such before knowing for sure.

Steel General
04-29-2009, 07:16 AM
Welcome Aboard!

...as has become my habit have some more rep for uploading a map in your first post *bonk*

Kingbreaker
04-30-2009, 06:39 AM
The first thing is in place - the water *does* look quite nice!

bartmoss
04-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Nice textures. The water one is the better of the two but I think the land texture is fine as well. The grid is maybe a little "heavy", but for a WIP that's perfectly fine. Not much else to say about the map until you breathe more "life" into it, so, go and cartographe Mr Orion Sir! :-)

And welcome aboard, too!

Orion
05-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Well, work on the map is slow coming as a result of it being "that time of year" as far as school goes.

I put some dirt spots on the ground to add color, and added in the deserts, which I'm particularly proud of. Then I started on mountains, and began to realize that the amount of detail I was putting into this map was a bit much for my (1.7GHz 2Gig Ram) laptop, so I'll be putting off this style of map until I get a new computer in about a month or so.

That being said, here's what I had going so far... now it's time for me to start trying with a new style!

Gandwarf
05-05-2009, 03:28 PM
The deserts look fantastic, you should be proud of them.
Not a big fan of the mountains... at the moment they seem to have a repeating texture going on as well. But this is probably because you "abandoned" the map.

Steel General
05-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Deserts - GOOD!

Mountains - Not so good :(. Definitely need to do something about the patterning. Either increase the size of the file you're using as a pattern or up the magnification of the pattern on the layer.

Other than that, it's coming along nicely.

Ascension
05-05-2009, 05:09 PM
With Photoshop, the main culprits for hogging memory are patterns, number of layers, layer styles, and overall size (including resolution) with size being the biggest hog. I'm sure that transparent pixels on a layer has some factor as well but I haven't yet identified it to be true, more of a hunch. That being said, you might want to try something more of a hand-drawn/line art style as it requires fewer layers, fewer colors, etc. so that way you can save the memory. At any rate it looks pretty good aside from the mountains pattern. Give a look at some of the tuts here to try different styles.

Ramah
05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
I've actually got my Vaniya map spread across seven or eight PSD files. I found that having it all in one was getting far too slow to process and even now, spread over so many different files some of them (like the effects files that adds paper texture, aging, folds etc.) are pretty big and take a long time to load.
I'm finding it much easier though since I split it up into processes. I have a base map file which is my black and white land mass which I work on for rivers, a file for the coastlines, land edge and basic green colour. A file for the different country colours and borders. A file for the map features such as mountains, hills and trees. One for the outside border. One for the cartouche and rose. One for the text and one for the effects. Phew.

It might not work for everyone but I sure find it helps keep my PC from complaining too much.

Ascension
05-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Yep, that works too. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Orion
05-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Cool, well that being the case I've returned to this and am now working with two version of the .psd. One, in which everything is rasterized and merged down into a single layer except the feature I'm currently working on, and another which holds the "raw" version of my map.