PDA

View Full Version : Discussion "Kingdom Sheet" (Fellow DMs and World Builders requested)

Notsonoble
05-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Okay, working on world building and some other DM chores (I can no longer purchase copies of the DM Tracker I liked...) I realized something:
I have character sheets
I have NPC focused sheets
I have city sheets
I have lots of horridly organized information about the regions of the world I'm generating
I do not have any organized "Kingdom Sheet"...

So here's the discussion...
What points of interest would you think most useful on a 1-2 page kingdom/realm reference...
Here's things I don't want suggested, because they'd go else where...

Map (obviously a map would take up a page all its own, if not a nice big A3 or poster)
Cities in any great detail... that's what the city sheet is for...

guyanonymous
05-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Basics about the political (e.g., form of government), cultural, economic (e.g., trade/currency/black-market wants), and social makeup of the kingdom (e.g., class system/hierarchy). Also religion(s) and brief highlight of any distinctive beliefs of the kingdom's people.

How their system of law works (e.g., is there a sheriff watching for malcontents, or is there a secret army killing strangers?).

List of major cities with one-line descriptions.

List of neighbors, perhaps with quotes from their citizens about the country in question.

Are these the sort of suggestions you're looking for?

p.s., are you able to share templates of sheets you currently use?

Widgetaah
05-01-2009, 01:37 AM
I have just started a world building project a few weeks ago.
This is the kingdom template I have been using. Any suggestions to improve it would be welcome.

Name :
Type : City State / Empire / Culture / Kingdom / Other

Culture type :
Racial mix :

Location/Climate/Environment :

Literecy / Languages :

Religions & Churches :

Social Order / Hierechy :

Architecture :

Laws (& public violence levels) :

Military :

Magic/Rituals level and type :

Magic/Technological automation :

Communication and Means of Travel :

Borders / Patrols / Roads :

Main Produce / Industry :
Main Import :

Trade / Money / Banking :

Hospital / Medic :

Professions / Services / Guilds :

Sport / Lesuire :

Drugs :

History , Heroes & Villans :

Notsonoble
05-01-2009, 01:39 AM
That's a start...
My chracter sheet's nothing wonderful... and I'm in the process of revamping it...
The city sheet's fair game... I can't get to it from here i'll post it in the morning

Sigurd
05-01-2009, 03:02 AM
I'd add a heading for ---

Religion(s)

Divine Representation

Pilgrimage Sites

Ritual Center(s)

Also perhaps

Significant Trade Goods

Significant Natural Resources

Significant Industry\Employers

Top 5 centers by population

icosahedron
05-01-2009, 03:36 AM
I play Traveller, a scifi game, so these ideas may need a little converting, but (neglecting obviously irrelevant elements like breathable atmosphere) the information we use for 'planetary realms' include:

Type of government
Government popularity
Population
Law Level
Military Strength
Prestige/Reputation
Growth
Unity/internal factions
Tolerance
Resources
Infrastructure
Culture/Standard of living
Supply, demand and trade
Gross National Product
Taxation Level
Social, military and administrative spending
Cities
Technology
Political ties - enemies, alliances, dominions, etc
Spying and black ops
Religion
Climate & weather
Wildlife

Hope that helps. :)

Greason Wolfe
05-01-2009, 04:15 AM
Oh man, I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but I seem to remember that back in one the 2e "complete handbooks" (maybe the Campaign and Catacomb Guide) there was some sort of Kingdom worksheet. That may have been a campaign sheet though. Another place you might look is the Mythopoet's Manual. Not sure if it will be helpful or not, but you might find something there that you can adapt to what you're looking for.

http://www.rpgmud.com/WorldBuilding/Mythopoets/tmm.html

GW

Ascension
05-01-2009, 07:30 AM
So far, these all look like good ideas to me. The only things I have that I don't see here are an "Underworld" structure/hierarchy and I do three levels for raw materials present (like iron, gold, and gemstones for a dwarf land) and three levels for finished goods (like furniture, textiles, and whale oil). I randomly choose one of these things to be the main export and two things as minor exports. I'm half way through a Word document with this stuff so I could put all of this together and finish off quite easily if you'd like me to Notsonoble. I'd do it as a spreadsheet that lists all of the possible government types and whatnot but my copy of Microsoft Office doesn't allow me to use it anymore. Nice link there GW.

Steel General
05-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Most of the ideas I had come up with have already been covered.

Unless I missed it in one of the other posts... short blurbs on major political/social personalities.

Arcana
05-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Might I suggest cross-posting this over at our Alliance sister site The Campaign Builders Guild (http://www.thecbg.org/).

Notsonoble
05-01-2009, 11:59 AM
So far, these all look like good ideas to me. The only things I have that I don't see here are an "Underworld" structure/hierarchy and I do three levels for raw materials present (like iron, gold, and gemstones for a dwarf land) and three levels for finished goods (like furniture, textiles, and whale oil). I randomly choose one of these things to be the main export and two things as minor exports. I'm half way through a Word document with this stuff so I could put all of this together and finish off quite easily if you'd like me to Notsonoble. I'd do it as a spreadsheet that lists all of the possible government types and whatnot but my copy of Microsoft Office doesn't allow me to use it anymore. Nice link there GW.

Yes please, Also, if you ms office is broken, there's always Open Office

Also, here's that city sheet... in odt and pdf

Notsonoble
05-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Might I suggest cross-posting this over at our Alliance sister site The Campaign Builders Guild (http://www.thecbg.org/).

Well, like when I signed up for here, I'm not receiving an activation email...

Xyll
05-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I like the sheets you created. The only thing I never liked is that class break down by levels I always thought they were silly and random. Also I never liked the vast majority of commoners being 1st level. Just my opinion.

Notsonoble
05-01-2009, 02:29 PM
I like the sheets you created. The only thing I never liked is that class break down by levels I always thought they were silly and random. Also I never liked the vast majority of commoners being 1st level. Just my opinion.

That's one thing that I tend to adjust based on what I actually expect the city to have... it's still handy to have the list once you've got it squared away though.

ravells
05-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Well, like when I signed up for here, I'm not receiving an activation email...

I have a feeling that you don't need an activation email - it's a bug on the site.

Notsonoble
05-01-2009, 04:42 PM
You know, that City sheet's been in real need of a revamp as well, and now that I've got some ideas started (both from here and else where)... I'm thinking maybe this is where I'm gonna try and step in to the industry from a "professional" point of view. So keep ideas coming, and if someone knows where I should look for either pitching the idea once it's finished, or how to go about publishing something on one's own, speak up.

Ascension
05-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Start a blog, put it there, and go to every forum you can and hype it up :) That's kind of evil and spammy but try to do it in a more fluid, under the radar kind of way like a link sig.

Notsonoble
05-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Ascension: I meant more along the lines of actual sale of a hard-copy product... especially since I seem to have thrown the 2 page limit out the window with the first design attempt.

Notsonoble
05-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Well, a single ISBN + Barcode image for printing on a product can be purchased on line, 150 US dollars, they're also sold in blocks of 10, 100, and 1000...(not available online)

The site also says electronic publications need different ISBN's than hardcopies, the site suggests considering how many publications you plan on producing in a 5 year period...

If a block of 10 is less than 10 at individual prices, then taking all the 3.5 crunch out of the city sheet, and finishing my other projects might actually be a reasonable idea...

curiouser and curiouser...

Notsonoble
05-11-2009, 05:40 PM
I have a alpha-stage booklet ready it ended up kinda large...

the question is do I post it for comments, or hold it... us it a couple of times myself, and then make changes, and then pitch it to someone who could do something with it...

Notsonoble
06-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Oh dark powers of thread necromancy lend me your abilities!!!!

Start a blog, put it there, and go to every forum you can and hype it up :) That's kind of evil and spammy but try to do it in a more fluid, under the radar kind of way like a link sig.

Well... done... My D&D/Roleplaying Blog (http://notsonoblednd.blogspot.com/) I don't have the actual sheet up yet, because I haven't decided on where to host the file for free and not have to re post it and edit the blog every so many weeks because of fileshare sites dropping files after x days. I intended to host the blog and the files from a vps, along with my maptool project... but with sudden personal expenses (and if i ever find the *********** that broke into my car...) I have no money for hosting AGAIN...

Oh well...I'll have something soon... I'd host it on dad's site, but the url is super-complicated(not good on average users if I decided to link to it and show the url) and its hosted at home, on a... less than perfect connection.

Redrobes
06-19-2009, 09:15 PM
There is tinyurl.com which will forward a hideous URL into something better - not quite peachy but better than hideous. I know you probably have port numbers and stuff in it so this might be a better way of doing it. Recently I put up a local served map server up for demo and lots of people had some problems accessing it because of the odd port number. So using a proxy can help. Thus a tinyurl to the proxy might be a good way to forward a locally served up page with the added advantage of hiding your IP address.

Notsonoble
06-20-2009, 01:10 AM
We've got a hostname registered, its more the horrors of the connection (and yeah, everything's on 8080 because our ISP blocks 80)... He's wanted to get a vps himself, and before the incident, I was looking at getting him signed up with one for father's day (yep were a nerd family) but now...

Notsonoble
06-20-2009, 01:13 PM
http://notsonoblednd.blogspot.com/ <-- file posted.

Notsonoble
09-14-2011, 05:48 PM
And Thread Necromancy Round II Revenge of the Threadlich.

I've broken down and filed a DBA in my local county, and sent paizo the information they requested for uploading pdfs for sale. I have a pathfinder specific "Settlement Sheet" ready to go along with an expanded PFRPG character sheet. Those'll go up on paizo soon, and hopefully they'll fund some of the spending I'm going to need to finish this project.

One thing I need really soon is for someone with some authority to answer a question really quick. I would like permission to put a link to both guilds in the the kingdom/realm booklet once its done, and an update of the settlement sheet. They're already on my blog as just links but I'd like to put them in the products as a "thanks".

ravells
09-15-2011, 12:24 AM
I don't think anyone is going to object to you giving publicity to the CG !

Notsonoble
09-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks ravells. I'll be sticking a link and blerb in the "booklet" then.

Now, This project has officially split into two projects. One will be a simple 2 page "realm worksheet". The other will be a 20+ page "booklet" monstrosity. Since my character and settlement sheets seem to be doing well for their first week, (http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/n/notSoNoblesGaming/) I'm going to try and put the realm worksheet up at paizo very soon.

Here's the sections on each page I've got (not all sections are evenly split in the page so since there are 5 sections to the two pages, they're not super detailed, some are barely a single line to list things on).

PG 1
General Info
Calendar (Lists rise and fall of realm, holidays, and some important events)
Demographics (Population figures, alignment of govt and majority population)
Legal (Laws, Penalties, and Famous Enforcers)
Hooks (Local Superstitions, Riturals, Rumors, Infamous Personalities, and Neighboring Realm Relations)

PG 2
Notable Settlements
Notable NPCs
Groups/Factions
Locations

And PG 3 is a full page map insert image box (as oppose to the half-page one in the settlement sheet)

Any suggestions for something that condensed? Also another project I've already started bouncing around in my brain is a faction worksheet (there's no rules for a building a faction, so I want the fields in the worksheet to be thought inducing) any thoughts would be appreciated...

sigurdbjohansson
09-25-2011, 12:53 PM
I don't know if it's been suggested, but you could use lulu.com for publishing your "Ultimate Campaign Creator" book....