PDA

View Full Version : Mapzone - free texture editor

ravells
05-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Just found this (hope it hasn't been posted up before and I'm repeating), but it looks good. Just off to have a play

Link here. (http://www.mapzoneeditor.com/index.php?PAGE=HOME)

If it is good and free we could start building up a good texture library for mapping :)

Man this thing is powerful!

I don't understand how it works, so it must be powerful! It's got ten zillion options and all sorts of funky stuff.

guyanonymous
05-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Holy $#@$@#

That is awesome. I don't mind if you feel like re-posting any other resources like this!

Thank you!

ravells
05-02-2009, 04:32 AM
Picking my way through it now. Now I have an inkling of what I'm doing this thing is just a beast .... should be able to generate some amazing textures with this. I'm going to cross post to the mapping elements forums, we should be able to build up a good texture library between us.

Steel General
05-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Great find Ravs!

Hopefully I can find some time to play around with it.

töff
05-02-2009, 12:45 PM
*drool* ... *covet*

Nomadic
05-02-2009, 03:05 PM
The learning curve on this is really steep. I am giving it a try but it is hard to figure out.

ravells
05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
What cracked it for me is opening the 'learning' folder and looking at how those textures were made in the editor.

ravells
05-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Just getting my feet wet...here's a foresty type tiling texture I made....long way to go!

NymTevlyn
05-03-2009, 02:33 PM
That one's a really nice texture, but it might be too repetitive for a large scale map. Looks good for a regional map though.

ravells
05-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Definitely one for a regional map, it would repeat dreadfully over a larger scale and you'd lose the detail anyway.

ravells
05-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Playing a bit more with this today...I'm not sure how suitable it is to continental mapping thogh for the reasons that Nym gave...I'm hoping others will download it and prove me wrong, it just looks so wonderful to use, but it is geared more towards 3d modelling for games (small repeating textures) than vasty maps. One thing that is nice about it is that you can overlay tiling textures on top of each other..

so you can start with a basic ground texture (save as image) and then the same ground texture with a forest on top (save image), then when you get into your raster editor you can get seamless gradations between the two.

RobA
11-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Anyone else try this? I'm just downloading it now...

-Rob A>

mearrin69
11-04-2009, 06:56 PM
I have not...just saw it now because of your threadomancy (thanks!) Downloading and will have a play. I do some 3D stuff so this will come in handy for that, if not also for mapmaking.
M