PDA

View Full Version : Groenwoud (City Designer 3)

Gandwarf
05-02-2009, 08:16 PM
--------------------
EDIT 04-05-2009
Due to constructive criticism in this thread I deleted the old version of this map and uploaded a new version with some minor tweaks
--------------------

Another one bites the dust... and I am quite pleased with how this one turned out.

The city of Groenwoud
Groenwoud (Greenwood) is a town that was founded near the largest forest in the world. It has seen hundreds of years of logging and a lot of the once proud forest has dissappeared. The wood was either launched into the river that flows to the Valley or transported by wagon or horse. Lumber camps are located all around the city. The city is heavily industrialised and has several watermills.

Groenwoud was never a happy place to reside. Conditions were harsh - it's winter most of the time of the year - and the work there was very dangerous. That's why the wizards sent a lot of slaves, although there were also large classes of freemen and citizens. No food can be grown due to the climate, so everything has to be imported.

With the forests in the Valley itself rapidly dissappearing Groenwoud became more and more important. The city has seen a lot of conflict between ruling wizards and it was even pillaged a few times. As the city can be easily cut off from the Valley, it has also seen more than a dozen famines.

It was in this city that a revolution started, that eventually swept through the Valley and ended the reign of the wizard lords.

overlordchuck
05-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Geez, you really churn this stuff out. Didn't you just finish another massively detailed city map just the other day?

Really nice work, as always. But what is the weird amorphous mass labeled at 7? It's labeled Staging Area, but I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

Anyway, I'd rep you but, alas, I must spread the love first.

Gandwarf
05-03-2009, 04:54 AM
Geez, you really churn this stuff out. Didn't you just finish another massively detailed city map just the other day?

Haha, I guess...

Really nice work, as always. But what is the weird amorphous mass labeled at 7? It's labeled Staging Area, but I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

The staging area is where all the logs are gathered, before they are cut into planks or thrown into the water to be transported to the Valley. If someone knows a better name, I am certainly up for suggestions :D

Steel General
05-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Nice work Gandwarf, though the logs do seem to be a bit large (but that might just be me :))

Gandwarf
05-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Nice work Gandwarf, though the logs do seem to be a bit large (but that might just be me :))

Yeah, I guess I will have to change the logs in the water, but that's for another time :)
The piles of logs on the land turned out all right I think.

overlordchuck
05-03-2009, 05:57 PM
The staging area is where all the logs are gathered, before they are cut into planks or thrown into the water to be transported to the Valley. If someone knows a better name, I am certainly up for suggestions

Ooooooh, okay. Now I see. I agree that perhaps the logs are a tad big. Unless they live near Lothlorien :D

Gandwarf
05-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Ok, I know this is supposed to be a finished map, but the logs are bothering me. How is this for size then? The logs should be pretty tall and be bigger than most of the houses and huts.

Sigurd
05-03-2009, 06:40 PM
I think that's much better but the drop shadow might be too much.

What about a floating fence\boom to help coral them into the harbor? Without lumberjacks, they seem to sort of magically float to where they're wanted. A thin dock\restraint might seem more realistic.

Gandwarf
05-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Great idea Sigurd. I will tinker some more with the effect of the logs and add a dock from where people could direct the logs. It's a pretty fast flowing river though, so the logs should generally just carry downstream.

waldronate
05-03-2009, 07:17 PM
And here I thought those were rafts of logs bound together in the first map to reduce the likelihood of theft and keep some of the singles from sinking.

Gandwarf
05-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Actually, I wanted them to look like rafts at first. But I decided I would go with logs :)
I might add a lot more logs in the water, as I have read that people used to "ride" the logs and steer them. This was pretty dangerous however, lol...

NymTevlyn
05-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Instead of staging area, you could label it Lumber or Timber Yard or something.

Gandwarf
05-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Instead of staging area, you could label it Lumber or Timber Yard or something.

Good idea!
I am going to label the map again.

Gandwarf
05-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Well, I deleted the old version of the map and I uploaded a new version (see original post). I am going to keep this version for now.

Added some roads and hills outside the map, changed the logs in the river, added some cranes and changed the name of the location where all the lumber is gathered.

Kristoni
05-04-2009, 04:59 PM
How would the granaries in your city be accessed? They appear to be so well fortified that no one can get to them!
Are these stocks perhaps only used in case of emergency or did you accidentally cause yet another famine to occur? >:)

Jokes aside .. this map is really neat! You have a knack for organisation :o

Gandwarf
05-04-2009, 05:01 PM
How would the granaries in your city be accessed? They appear to be so well fortified that no one can get to them!
Are these stocks perhaps only used in case of emergency or did you accidentally cause yet another famine to occur? >:)

Ha! No, there is a door in the wall. Didn't want to add a gate.

Jokes aside .. this map is really neat! You have a knack for organisation :o

Thanks.

KeithC
05-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Great map Gandwarf! You have a definite knack for making each section of a city unique and distinctive even without labels. The slave camp reminds me of the concentration camp at Dachau. The wagon trails look great as well. I'm happy you found a use for them.

RobA
05-11-2009, 02:44 PM
as I have read that people used to "ride" the logs and steer them. This was pretty dangerous however, lol...

For your amusement, http://www.nfb.ca/film/log_drivers_waltz

-Rob A>

Gandwarf
05-11-2009, 03:23 PM
For your amusement, http://www.nfb.ca/film/log_drivers_waltz

LOL!

It looks like they have a jolly good time, but I am sure it was bloody dangerous.

EDIT: another LOL... I see we have our first banned guild member? Or have there been others? Too bad.

Steel General
05-12-2009, 07:09 AM
That video is definitely different.

Gidde
05-12-2009, 06:40 PM
LOL.

That video got me a "what planet are you on" look from my hubby.