PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

Snowball
05-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Hello tharr, I found this site in my quest for learning how to make some snazzy military maps, for some game i play. I found i wanted that nice General feel of looking at a map, with all my units positions, and those of the enemy neatly presented :)

NeonKnight
05-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

ravells
05-03-2009, 05:22 PM
It would be really nice to have more wargame maps here. Welcome to the guild!

Korash
05-03-2009, 06:05 PM
*salute*

Sir. Welcome Sir.

*end salute*

Best way to learn is to post something and let use be your guide.

What software do you use?

Snowball
05-03-2009, 06:48 PM
GIMP:

And im a total noob, it`s quite overwhelming...and i`ve no idea how to start....xD

Basically what i have is a world map, with different regions, etc. And i want to insert military symbols, to signify unit types and numbers

http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/11-4/symbols.htm

However, i can`t even figure that out. Though it SHOULD be VERY easy. At the moment i am just aiming to making that happen, a strategic scale overview of my forces if you will.

I plan to progress to "plan maps" eventually, that show routes of movement, and what positions my troops posess etc.

So the question is, is it possible to learn this art?

ravells
05-03-2009, 06:58 PM
if you want to use a map that's symbolic like that, I'd suggest you download inkscape...vector drawing programmes are much more effective at making and combining shapes. you can also use vector and raster together....make your map in the raster and then bring it into the vector to put your symbols on.

Snowball
05-03-2009, 07:03 PM
And if i already have the map, and only need to put in symbols?

EDIT: This might not be directly relevant to this here thing, but is there a way to create a sort of interactive map, where i don`t have to "edit" the picture to change the symbols around, but can just kind of drag them around freely on the map? and possibly insert arrows to show movements?

(Yes, im asking for the "lazy mans" solution)

ravells
05-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Definitely inkscape if you only need to put in the symbols.

Feralspirit
05-04-2009, 12:44 AM
I believe dragging the symbols can be done in GIMP. This month's challenge deals with maps that have those draggable icon qualities (if I understand VTT correctly), and I believe Torstan has shown maps with Draggable icons or tokens (on a different scale). If I recall, the suggetion in GIMP was to assign a layer to the icon you wanted to move, but keep that layer small (just large enough to hold the icon's image). Then, by selecting that layer and utilizing the move tool (four arrows in the tool box) you can drag it around. The problem, though, is that each layer adds to the file size, and I imagine you are talking about a large number of mobile units. It might be worth trying, with the unit layers being small it may not increase file size as much as I think. Look around, make a couple more posts (at 5 posts you'll be able to send and recieve private messages). I think Torstan's icons were in his dungeon tiles thread here http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4721. In fact, VTT forum is one I rarely look at but you might be very interested in. Good luck, happy mapping, and don't forget to post something soon, I'd like to know what solutions you come up with, and see the results.

Snowball
05-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Il try...something xD

Steel General
05-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Welcome Aboard!

icosahedron
05-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Welcome Snowball. You can drag icons around on a background map in both Inkscape and Gimp (I'm a few weeks ahead of you on both of them, but you'll probably overtake soon) but it sounds like what you really want is VTT (virtual tabletop) software such as Viewingdale or Maptools (there are many more). These are best for interactive gaming in both real time and for GM planning, whereas Inkscape and Gimp are both drawing software that just draw pictures - including maps.

Snowball
05-04-2009, 11:27 AM
I will look into them :)

Korash
05-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Here is an idea :idea:

once the map is done in Gimp, you most likely won't be changing the map at all if I understand what you want to do. In that case save it as a PNG (or other - suggestions?) and then import that into Inkscape. You can then create the icons, copy them and move them to your hearts content. :) At each stage of the battle you could then save the modified Inkscape as something and post that result.

This would cut down on the need to eddit the map to a bare min. and the only editing that you need to do in Inkscape would be to change the icons and numbers.

Huh? how about that one? Huh? ;)

Snowball
05-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Yee wise men, may consider thee self reppeth.