PDA

View Full Version : Hey, looking to learn some stuff about making maps

ironmetal250
05-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Hey, I've been drawing maps for a while, but none as good as most of the ones I've seen on this site... the maps I've attached are ones I've made over the past week, nothing fancy but an indicator of my current 'skill'... they were made in the Paint.NET freeware program, drawn with a tablet. If anyone has any tips/specific topics I can go to for making world maps, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Peter

Korash
05-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Well you came to the right place to learn about mapping ;)

gotta say that posting a map or two in your first post is a good way to start off here 8) so have some rep

We have a few tutorials here for Paint.Net, but the ideas and some, if not most, of the techniques given in the other tutorials will translate over with a bit of fiddling too. Don't be shy to ask questions, cause we are not shy about offering advice ;).

One thing that we are a bit picky about around here on the larger regional and world maps is the rivers. I notice that a few of your continents have water systems that span from one ocean to another. While the canal in Card works I a, not too sure about the others. Hard to tell until you put some mountains.

Looks good so far. You should start a WIP (Work in Progress) thread and we will have you finishing these maps in no time. With lots of pointers along the way.

Paint.Net is not one of the most used programs here, and it is nice to see more people using it, so if you have any pointers for any users following you, please post a tutorial or two yourself.

Like I said, this is a great resource for mapping so look around, participate, and post your maps as you go. Welcome and enjoy :)

Ascension
05-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Aside from the river anomalies these are good, wouldn't change a thing. Clear and easily viewed and easy to follow. Reminds me a bit of the old "Nobunaga's Ambition" game on the Sega...good times, good times. Welcome and have fun.

ironmetal250
05-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys =)
I had no idea about the river anomalies until now... nice thing to know (now I know rivers flow down mountains, I used to think they come from oceans... and I"m going to be majoring in a natural science, shame on me). I'm actually working on another map right now for a fantasy novel I started writing a year or two ago that I decided to pick up again, using the tectonic plate tutorial on this site (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2238). These maps are actually for an online RP site that I'm drawing the maps for... I recycled a lot of names from my original drawn map for the novel I mentioned earlier.
Hopefully I'll be done and can post it today =)

Again thanks for the nice introductions. Nice to be here.

Steel General
05-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Have some 'rep' for uploading maps in your intro post. *bonk*

NeonKnight
05-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

ravells
05-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Congrats Korash...you've been deputised!

Another river policeman....will it never end?

Welcome, Ironmetal! Looking forward to seeing those maps textured!

If you're after a more graphic look as with the coloured map, check out the four colour theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_color_theorem) if you're not familiar with it.

Korash
05-05-2009, 09:58 PM
:o :shock:

OH noooooooos!!!!!!!

I'm draaawn to the daaaark siiiide!!!!!

I'sis an oshiffer now, guesh I will hasfto shtop dwinkin nows. *hick*

Thanks Rav ;) t'is an honor to be counted among such illustrious company!

Ascension
05-05-2009, 10:17 PM
First order of business as a new officer is to make a map with bad rivers ;) Then comes the hazing. Then the wimmens.