PDA

View Full Version : Velaidia - Before shot

Gidde
05-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi everyone!

This is the "before" shot of a map for my novel. I hate it on many levels, but I've lost all objectivity. What I'm trying to decide now (and would love some feedback on) is whether I should rework this landmass when I start using all the tutorials and advice here, or completely start over.

I'm concerned that the mountain ranges make no sense and that my subconscious was trying to recreate France when I created the coastline - so I'm leaning toward starting over.

This was handdrawn using mouse, Photoshop, GIMP, and some custom (also handdrawn) brushes for both.

Ascension
05-04-2009, 05:26 PM
The only thing I would suggest is that the "witches nose" sticking out to the left would have to have some reason to be higher than the water level...ie, add some hills or mountains down the middle there to form a spine. I'm sure there all sorts of examples to prove me wrong (so don't bother posting them up), but it's just something that my brain expects to see. Otherwise, I'd say it's good to go.

Gidde
05-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback :)

I actually remember considering that when I started that one, but I'm not sure where the consideration went, hehe. I think it devolved into hills around the periphery, which doesn't quite cut it. I'm pretty sure I'm starting the thing over anyhow.

Steel General
05-05-2009, 06:06 AM
My eye wants to keep rotating this 90 degrees counter-clockwise so that the 'thicker' land mass is on the top.

But regardless of that it's a neat shape and a great start.

Gidde
05-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Hmm, that's something I hadn't thought of ... maybe rotating it would solve some of the shape issues I have with it. I'll try playing with it a bit before I scrap it entirely.

Thanks!

Yoscha
05-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm concerned that the mountain ranges make no sense and that my subconscious was trying to recreate France when I created the coastline - so I'm leaning toward starting over.

The coastline made me think of Cornwall rather than France.

And what are you concerns about the mountains? That they don't fit into plate tectonic patterns?

Gidde
05-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Yeah, pretty much the tectonics issue. I can see the bottom being Cornwall-esque :)

Yoscha
05-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Then just stop to worry and advance.
Even though I am a geologist, who sometimes nitpicks map features I deem to be unrealistic, I do not see any unexplainable features.

Maybe your mountains aren't even caused by plate tectonics (there are other processes that can cause mountains to rise).

Gidde
05-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks for all the great advice guys ... here's a stab at reworking the mountains. Do these look a little more believable?

Ascension
05-09-2009, 12:19 AM
I'd say that they look like some of the best ones I've seen following the tut. Good job.

Gidde
05-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks ... it's a great tutorial. Haven't done much in the way of personally tweaking it, but I'm learning alot about the different techniques. The only things I can really take credit for are the snowcaps and what I hope look like foothills ;)

In go the rivers. River police? Any problems?

Steel General
05-09-2009, 01:39 PM
I see no river-based infractions, you're free to go on with your mapping :)

Gidde
05-10-2009, 02:57 PM
And here's the closest thing to an "After shot" this one's going to get, I think.

I'm inspired to do the entire world now, which may make this continent extinct ... so I'm going to refrain from putting in cities/roads, at least for now.

I did put in the forests I had planned, and a crater that will need some touchup if I end up keeping the map. Inside the crater should be a fen, but I have absolutely no idea how to depict wetlands in this style.