PDA

View Full Version : newbie catrographer

msa
05-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Hey y'all!

I've been making simple maps for my RPGs for a long time, but they've been functional over pretty. I recently decided to improve my skills and I've been hunting around looking for mapmaking info. This board has amazing references and a lot of great work, so I thought I'd show my appreciation by participating and sharing.

Here are my two new maps that I've been working on based on what teh internets have taught me. They are simple still, and largely incomplete. I personally think the styles are all over the place--on the outdoor map I feel like the water is very illustrative while the woods are trying to be textured, for example. But hey... I'm still learning!

Looking forward to feedback... especially on the outdoor map. Once I get a draft done, I'll start a WIP thread to really hone it down. Dungeons are fun, but I feel like they are a little more straightforward. My skills on the outdoor stuff are lacking.

PS. I'm working mostly in gimp, although I *might* be open to new tools ;)

Gandwarf
05-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Welcome to the guild!
And have some rep for posting your first maps.

The outdoor map certainly isn't bad, although I agree the styles of the water and forest are not an ideal mix. And I guess the dark areas are ruins of a tower and wall?

As for the dungeon, I like the look. It's old school and I am digging it. What is the middle room supposed to represent? I mean the room with the blue vortex.

msa
05-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Yay rep!

On the outdoor map, the dark areas are a ruin of a tower and a wall. I'm not super satisfied with them, but I like them OK. I was experimenting with noise and thresholds to give them something of an organic feel.

The tomb is based roughly off an old dungeon map, but the swirly pool and round room weren't there. Really, that map was more to experiment with and showcase the highlight effects that frame the map.

But feel free to devise a dark purpose for the swirly pool. In the original game, that room had a series of wards added after the burial to keep the dead spirit in--the owner didn't intend to stay fully dead, but many decent, upstanding people preferred that he did.

I was thinking about the forest after I posted and I whipped up an alternate style similar to the water. It may be *too* similar, and it may not look like forest at all. Any thoughts?

Gandwarf
05-04-2009, 02:38 PM
I would have to see the forest in the map, but I think it would look better. It's obvious it's a forest, so you got that covered :)

msa
05-04-2009, 03:07 PM
I would have to see the forest in the map, but I think it would look better. It's obvious it's a forest, so you got that covered :)

Here is the updated version with the new forest style. I'm not sure it looks great, but that might just be because I rushed it a bit. Its definitely more consistent with the water style, and I think with some more tweaking I will probably like it.

PS. Someone let me know if I'm posting too many images!

Gandwarf
05-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I think it does fit in better!

Steel General
05-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Welcome Aboard!

...and for showing us some of your work in your intro post have some more 'rep' *bonk*

msa
05-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Welcome Aboard!

...and for showing us some of your work in your intro post have some more 'rep' *bonk*

Hugs!

I'll move the ruined tower map over to the WIP thread since it looks like I'm going to keep working on it. Where is the appropriate place? Regional + world maps?

NeonKnight
05-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

ravells
05-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Have some more rep!

I really like the way you are approaching this. You're saying things in your first post that it took me years to learn through trial and error (e.g. mixing illustrative with textures). Everything about what you're posting and what you say tells me that you have 'the eye' by which I mean you've groked the right way of approach. Damn, I wish I had it!

On your colour map, I can't say I'm mad keen about the contour lines but they may be just there for construction and later development.

Does Gimp support photoshop filters? There are some good ones out there.

msa
05-05-2009, 09:54 PM
I really like the way you are approaching this. You're saying things in your first post that it took me years to learn through trial and error (e.g. mixing illustrative with textures). Everything about what you're posting and what you say tells me that you have 'the eye' by which I mean you've groked the right way of approach. Damn, I wish I had it!

Well, I only have low-to-moderate artistic talent, but I am compulsive and detail-oriented which makes up for a lot. LOL! I'm sure your experience is worth a lot more than whatever is up with my eye.

On your colour map, I can't say I'm mad keen about the contour lines but they may be just there for construction and later development.

Any suggestions on what to do instead? I'd like to make it clear that the tower is on top of a hill. I had originally planned on shading it, but at the moment I'm not sure how shading will look with the relatively flat style of the forest and water. I want to stick with that style for a bit since its mostly done with noise, threshold, and selection abuse so its easy to do a lot quick. I may have to try it and see, but any ideas besides shading would be lovely.

Does Gimp support photoshop filters? There are some good ones out there.

No idea, but after I get used to doing this by hand I'll look into it.