PDA

View Full Version : May Entry: Tanaka's Challenge

Gamerprinter
05-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Since I missed out last month (even though I'm still too busy), I decided to try and squeeze a chase adventure, specifically designed for the CWBP Kaidan seting (as opposed to my intended published version.) I plan to do 3 to 5 tiles (maybe more) at 24 x 36 inches, 1 inch = 100 ppi, thus 20 pix/foot scale.

Since 12rounds (Kimmo) was so kind as to create Lord Izo Tanaka http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=53005&highlight=Tanaka#post53005 I decided to make him the main antagonist of this adventure chase!

Tanaka's Challenge: adventure for 3 - 4 PCs levels 2 - 4, as oriental adventurers in the setting of Kaidan.

The Daimyo of Hamato Province in southern Kaidan, is the inscrutable Lord Izo Tanaka (vampire of ravens). Having learned that the PC party has been adventuring in his realm and performing acts of subterfuge and espionage, he became very curious.

Tanaka is secretly the master of the Hidden in Hamato province. The Hidden is the known name of the five ninja clans of Kaidan, the Muto clan is located in Hamato, near Uesumi, northwest of his castle. Perhaps he could entice the party to visit his castle, so he could create a challenge to test their skills.

Lord Tanaka has learned one of the PCs has been courting the daughter of a local silk dyer, so he sent a troop of Raven Samurai to fetch her, with a message to her father, "Tell her lover to sneak into my castle and take her back, if he succeeds, I will set her free."

The PCs have disguised themselves as merchants, unarmored and only lightly armed, bearing gifts for his lordship. Members must include at least one ninja, from a family outside Hamato province, and one Monk, though may include up to four, none of Samurai Caste, however, preferrable all of Heimen (Commoner) Caste.

Once in the Daimyo's Court hall (chamber in top left of map), while the party is in audience with Lord Tanaka, the girl betrothed to the PC member is brought in. Tanaka decrees, "I will count to 100, you have that much time, before I sound the alarm, if you can escape my men, my castle and my town, I will set you all free as innocents. 1, 2, 3..."

Map Tile 1: Tanaka's Castle, Oten-jo, Hamato Province, Empire of Kaidan
(Rooms are not labeled, just described in text below, for better use in VT)

Starting Chamber (top left of map tile 1), the Raven Court: sitting on the raised platform to the north of this room is Lord Izo Tanaka. Room also contains one minister (presumeably a spellcaster), and at least twice as many fully armored samurai as PC party members.

The party and the girl must exit into the hall to the south. Looking west, a troop of 24 armored samurai are marching away from the PCs, but are closest should the alarm be set off. Looking east, the Lord's Seer, a dark necromancer (onmyoji sorcerer) and a band of acolytes are crossing the arcane bridge which ends up as the hallway from the west. A maid pops from the door just east of the entrance of the courtroom. The PCs may actually bump into this girl as she simultaneously comes out the door with an armload of cleaned kimonos, knocking them to the floor. (Of course this is the best avenue of escape, as the PCs don't know the layout of this caste.)

Into the stone hallway going north. The first chamber to the west contains a dozen samurai and ashigaru involved in a high stakes game of dice. If the PCs pop in here, 12 assailants will be following them out. The second chamber further down is the kimono laundry room with two female workers within. Just as they reach the door of the laundry chamber, the Castle alarm rings out.

A balcony opening to the west has a full view down the cliffside to the town below (320' down). However just beneath the balcony about 8 feet beneath is a curved gable a bit less than 3 feet wide, though precarious, one could slip down towards its southern eave and with only a five foot leap could reach the roof of the wall parapet to the east. Crawl to the southern side and drop to the parapet wall below. As they run past the front edge of the fortress, a dozen guards are seen running towards the stairs going up to the parapet. Also archers are firing at the PCs from the balcony they came from.

If they reach the parapet tower on the south end, ashigaru guards begin charging up the spiral stairs towards the PCs. They will be forced to leap off the walls and into the murky moat below... so ends Map Tile One...

Haven't decided how many tiles to create, I'm just winging this adventure! :P

Edit: I have to take the doors out, they would be placed by the GM, not me...

GP

Gamerprinter
05-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Here's the next map in the chase. Once the PCs jump into the moat, they have to swim and avoid being shot by bowman on the wall parapet, though nobody will jump in after them.

The small tower north of the moat is the Sorcerer's tower and arcane missles will soon be launched. Samurai archers on the south rampart, the other side of the moat, will be firing on PCs swimming in the moat. Eventually sorcerers will be appear at the bottom of the tower in closer proximity.

Before the PCs make it to the opposite side, they will notice a half dozen boats in the moat coming from the north each with samurai archers and ashigaru spear men, poling their way towards the PCs position.

The only escape is through the drainage tunnel on the opposite wall to escape into the next map tile...

Enjoy!

GP

RPMiller
05-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Oh... my... freaking... A... I know one entrant that is getting a vote for sure! Repped!

This just hits every giddy bone in my body. I will definitely be swiping this when you are done and may just run a Sengoku game, whether our group wants to play or not, just to use it.

Map Vandal
05-06-2009, 02:45 PM
That water is nasty!

RPMiller
05-06-2009, 02:49 PM
That's what happens when you channel all the human and animal waste to a stagnate source. What better way to prevent someone from crossing the moat than to make it look like that?

And yea, it is freakin' nasty looking.

Gamerprinter
05-07-2009, 01:10 AM
Next tile is crossing the small mountain creek that represents the outer moat on the west side of the castle. Though an archer or two may be atop the outer bailley, above the drainage tunnel exit, the real threat is coming from the other side of the tunnel, as the samurai and ashigaru on boats are entering the tunnel themselves.

At least a jump into this four foot shallow creek allows the party to wash off the filth of crossing the moat, previously. The depth and current would prevent a heavily armored person from crossing safely, however, the lighter armored ashigaru spearmen will cross easily.

Though the party doesn't realize it, they are entering the back-end of a temple garden, which is in the next tile.

A monk is standing at the base of those rough hewn stone steps and may present an obstacle for PCs to try to negotiate before Tanaka's troops show up through the drainage tunnel. This monk is loyal to Lord Tanaka.

Oh, that's a stone lantern at the foot of the stairs.

Enjoy! :D

GP

waldronate
05-07-2009, 02:04 AM
Very pretty. The grain in the stones in the river aren't in scale with the flagstones on land, though. Makes it look like 2" gravel with a 20x magnification.

Gamerprinter
05-07-2009, 02:36 AM
Very pretty. The grain in the stones in the river aren't in scale with the flagstones on land, though. Makes it look like 2" gravel with a 20x magnification.

That's a fair enough assessment, since its actually true. So I switched it up, removed the gravel altogether. Instead using that brown rock texture, I created a water carved channel with two levels beneath the water's surface and threw in some water plants to help show the current and direction of the flow, simulate a greater depth - and altogether improve the look of the river.

Good catch, Waldronate!

GP

waldronate
05-07-2009, 05:23 AM
Much prettier. The scale isn't jarring now. A few foamy bits and it'll be perfect! (Or am I just being overly picky?)

Gamerprinter
05-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Map Tile 4: the Temple Garden...

Once the party crosses the mountain stream and rises up the hillside, they are entering a Sohei temple grounds surrounding Tanaka's castle. Though lovely there are a half dozen monks practicing martial arts on the paved courtyard behind the main temple. By the time the party is north of the small pond, the ashigaru are coming through the rear gate. At which point the monks will join in the chase.

Exit north into the samurai residential district, map tile five to the north.

Enjoy!

GP

PS: I was thinking that if one didn't use these tiles for a chase scenario, using them in reverse order could be a means of sneaking into the castle for an infiltration/ninja type mission.

Gamerprinter
05-07-2009, 06:29 PM
The next tile for the Chase map set, the Samurai District. The homes closest to the lord's castle comprise of the important samurai to his household. The narrow paved paths around the 12 foot walled homes are typical of samurai districts.

Upon exiting the Temple Garden door, the party is on one of the side roads through the samurai district. Samurai or ashigaru can be heard coming from the west of the map, so the only avenue is forward, however gated alleys force the party to travel east into the Artisan District next.

I figure two or three more until its complete - next tile is running through a silk dyers large shop (kind of like running through a factory.) Almost done!

GP

RPMiller
05-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I hope you'll do a completed version with all the tiles as well.

Lwaxana
05-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Very cool. I am sure i could make use of this setting somewhere in my campaigns.

Gamerprinter
05-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Sure thing, RP, I'll do that when I'm completed with the tiles. Thanks for the comments, everyone! :D

The silk dying factory is next, I promise. I thought I needed a transition area between the Samurai district and the Merchant/Artisan district of town. In case you haven't noticed, I like water features. Another thing I like water that is other than the color blue, as in everyone else's map. When there's only a single water feature, not being blue might confuse a viewer as to what its supposed to be. Being unconventional and using many water features, I have the option of showing everything from sewage water to green water.

The Red Bridge map... enjoy!

GP

Edit: fixed the bridge shadow, will leave plantlife/algae out for now.

### Latest WIP ###

RPMiller
05-08-2009, 02:17 AM
The ends of the bridge look like they are floating over the stone.
Green water typically needs more plant matter. Maybe some algae clumps or lots of plants.

This is going to be so cool when it is finished.

Gamerprinter
05-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Map Tiles #7: is a quick romp through a silk dying factory. Great spools of silk are being pulled into great vats of dye ink, after having been prepared in other structures. Great gears spinning, its fairly noisy, as a water mill drives the operation from below the floor. River water is utilized to soak the silk after dying occurs.

The PCs, must run up the stairs and across the catwalk to get by this obstacle while monk, samurai and ashigaru are hot on their tails.

Enjoy!

GP

Gamerprinter
05-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Moving right along! Map Tile #8: the Mercantile Lane.

As part of the artisan/merchant district of Oten, this is one of the many narrow streets through this district of town. Ox carts laden with supplies block the passage to the north, while a gate blocks the south.

The walled section just off the avenue is the only way out.

GP

RPMiller
05-08-2009, 06:24 PM
What prevents our heroes from going over the ox carts? Are there also people in the way?

Gamerprinter
05-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Well I should have said a gaggle of samurai and ashigaru are trying to negotiate the ox carts to get to the PCs, plus I did plan to place some workers trying to unload those carts, besides if they don't go down that small alley, then the PCs will miss passing through the female section of the public baths, which is in the next tile! :P (I'll keep the nudity to a minimum, of course!)

GP

RPMiller
05-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Ah! Well that is important then! :lol: The samurai and ashigaru definitely serve as a good barrier then.

Gamerprinter
05-08-2009, 09:02 PM
OK, Tiles # 9 & 10: The Public Bath and the Torii Gate

Almost done, three left after these two!

The first one is a public bathhouse, which are seperated by sex, this one is for the females. Exiting into a back alley, the path is only open to the entrance of the Shinto Temple. The next tile features the Torii Gate entrance to a Shinto shrine, the last property before the river bank towards freedom.

One note here, the party should be submissive to the holy land they are entering here. A fountain at the gate is for ritually cleansing oneself, by taking a mouth full of water, then spitting it out, then pouring the last of the ladel over your hands. Despite being in a hurry to escape the party should take a few moments to cleanse themselves as they enter the temple shrine.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
05-09-2009, 02:09 AM
Tiles # 11, 12 & 13 (one more to go!):

I'm doing my best to wrap this up tonight, so I can get to working on paid-for maps, which is what I am supposed to be doing! :o

Tiles # 11 & 12 or two sides of the riverbank shrine, which the torii gate led to. A boat will be found on the small pier, which the PCs can jump into and escape the chase altogether.

Tile #13: river open water, should be used at least twice for the crossing of the river. (last one #14 will be the other side of the river and ending scene of the adventure chase!)

Enjoy!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
05-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Last Tile# 14: the Far Shore

The party has evaded death and capture to finally cross the river. Upon reaching the far shore, they are free. As the party departs from the boat, a flock (murder) of crow fly overheads, landing in an opening by the shore and reforms into Lord Izo Tanaka.

"As I said, you are free as innocents, neither I nor my men will seek you out. However, I also do not want you to perform provocateur missions in my domain, without my permission. If you join my special operations team, I will have employment for you - what say you?"

[Next and last post will have all the maps interconnected for you to see!]

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
05-09-2009, 01:58 PM
As per RPMiller's request, I composited all the map tiles into a single map. I tried to upload it into the site, but it was just too big. The final map measures 70" tall by 380" wide at 50 ppi, though as a low res JPG, it is only 3.5 MB in size, dimensionally, its just too big to load.

Edit: I just realized 70" x 380" is really almost 6 foot tall and 32 feet wide - gah!

So here's a link to the final composited map image on my site, enjoy!

http://www.gamer-printshop.com/kaidan/tanaka-challenge.jpg

GP

RPMiller
05-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Well done GP! Now in your spare time, HA!, you can create tiles to fill in all the "missing" areas. ;) :twisted:

Seriously though this is a great entry. Thank you.

Steel General
05-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Awesome Work GP!

Redrobes
05-09-2009, 07:17 PM
This is pretty awesome GP. I just put all the tiles into my app and its pretty cool to move around that expanse. Its a shame that theres some continuity errors at the tile edges. Isn't it possible to cut and paste and inch off the right of one tile and put onto left of next tile and then continue the mapping before chopping off repeated section at the end. It doesn't affect the game play at all tho. Dunno how anyone gonna beat this but you never know till its over.

Gamerprinter
05-09-2009, 07:40 PM
This is pretty awesome GP. I just put all the tiles into my app and its pretty cool to move around that expanse. Its a shame that theres some continuity errors at the tile edges. Isn't it possible to cut and paste and inch off the right of one tile and put onto left of next tile and then continue the mapping before chopping off repeated section at the end. It doesn't affect the game play at all tho. Dunno how anyone gonna beat this but you never know till its over.

Yeah, I know it ain't perfect. The worst one is from the tunnel out of the moat to meet the tunnel exit at the clean water creek. I even toyed with the idea of creating a jaggedy tunnel to connect the two more cleanly. But I figured based on roughly a MB or less per tile, that most VTs could only show one at a time, and where the edges are slightly off - as you say, it doesn't affect play.

What I like, is without showing the castle town in its entirely, just a narrow slice, still gives you a good sense on how the districts are separated, how many districts comprise the town and how to get from place to place. It was a fun challenge. Glad to have gotten it done, even before the prize list announcement. So I hope to at least place.

GP

Redrobes
05-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Will Xara allow you to copy a slice across to continue mapping. Thats what Handsome Rob did with his big world map and he had very little of those continuity issues. Its not a biggie as you - well, normal people at any rate - would print these out on A4 and pop one down at a time.

Gamerprinter
05-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Yeah, its certainly possible for that. I didn't really think my way through when I started, in that, I created the first one, not knowing at the time, I was going to create more. Then once I created the a second one - it was a separate creation. Towards the end I got smart, so the temple on the river bank, matches much more closely than the previous tiles, as that is how I created it.

Still when working with massive dimensioned maps, Xara sometimes hiccups and I lose data. So I tend to work in smaller pieces. If I was smart, I would have created these in matched pairs, but as I said, only after undergoing the bulk of the process, did I figure that I should do that. I didn't want to go back and do that process all over again. Still it might be worth moving those exits to match more closely. I may have some time the week after next to look at this again.

Based on my schedule, though, this may be in its final format. We'll see.

GP

Redrobes
05-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Cool, I don't think your entry looses anything from it. In terms of getting a place, I think the fact that we have super prizes on offer and only 4 entries might have something to do with this entry being a somewhat high barrier to assail...

Gamerprinter
05-09-2009, 08:11 PM
True enough. Even if I can take one of the prizes: 1st, 2nd or 3rd, I can't win all three of them, so two are other's are going to get prizes too. One shouldn't worry so much, as there will be three winners here - which is more than usual.

GP

Gamerprinter
05-26-2009, 11:56 AM
One last bump for this entry before voting starts at end of month. 14 maps measuring 24" x 36" at 100 ppi JPG files, created in 4 days, for use as a 1st level adventure chase run through a medieval Japanese castle town for Kaidan and the CWBP.

Bump, bump, bump!

GP

DerWille
05-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Excellent job on the maps Gamerprinter, the amount of detail is amazing. I especially like the last beach tile. I love how the water looks. Makes me want to go swimming there.

Since it's a commercial product you're working on, I just had a few concerns about some of the naming. When I first saw the name, I thought the world was called, "Staircase". However, I looked it up and another meaning is "Ghost Stories". Since the daimyo is a vampire, is this product suppose to be a medieval horror setting? Or, is it just this one place.

My other big concern is the daimyo's name. Izo Tanaka seems a little strange for a daimyo. Tanaka is sort of like the Smith of Japan. If I were to use an equivalent name, it would be something like Nebechanezzer Smith. Literally what Tanaka means is, "In the rice field". It was a common last name used by peasants who made their living growing rice.

Lastly, from what I could tell, "Muto" isn't a word in Japanese, well, at least my dictionary. The closest I could find is, "Mutou" which means "sugarless". There is probably something I missing however.

I'm not trying to talk down to you or anything. It's just that I noticed this and wanted to know if this was intended. If it was, well, ignore almost everything I said. The map is still great looking.

Gamerprinter
05-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Well it is a feudal Japan-like setting, called Kaidan (which means ghost or horror story).

Now, Lord Tanaka is an invention of 12Rounds, as he created it for the CWBP, Cooperative World Building Project, I think he picked the name as it sounded Japanese - but nothing name wise is cut in stone except for the setting.

So Lord Tanaka could always change. One thing, though Kaidan is a setting involving an endless cycle of reincarnations (there is no ressurrection in this setting as fas as D&D goes.) Lord Tanaka (probably needs a name change...) was not always of the Noble Caste. Rather he was born into a Ninja clan, and in four lifetimes elevated his soul to the Noble Caste. He is one of the few noble Daimyo of Kaidan, who has done so.

I'm sure I'll come up with something different. The name, Muto, I borrowed from a book, and that could always change too.

Good catch on the names, though. I am half-Japanese, but not as fluent as I'd like to be, so I'm glad you pointed that out.

Thanks for the comments on the map too!

GP