PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP question

ravells
05-05-2009, 04:57 PM
I have windows XP which I've skinned to look like Windows classic as far as I can.

When I want to open a file I get this menu (see below). Is there a way I can add shortcuts to the place indicated so I don't have to burrow through layers of stuff to find the folder I want?

I did a google but didn't turn up anything useful.

All help much appreciated!

Nomadic
05-05-2009, 05:10 PM
As far as I know no you cannot. It is a set menu that shows those particular items and nothing else. So the only way to mod it would be with a registry editor.

ravells
05-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Dang! Thanks for the answer...would have been really useful.

giantacroyear
05-05-2009, 06:13 PM
If I may, might I suggest the easier solution of putting ALL of your desired shortcuts under your "My Documents" directory so that it's simply one extra mouse-click to get to them? Just an idea.

Just out of curiosity, what application are you opening from? Some applications use Windows dialogs, others, like Adobe for example, sometimes use their own custom UI, which, if the SDK allows, you might be able to potentially get into and modify (if you're comfortable doing that sort of thing).

I noticed that you use CS2, so this might help solve your issue for that particluar app. CS2 has the option to switch between the Adobe open dialog and the Windows OS dialog - depending on which you prefer. However, the Adobe dialog has a "favorites" section on the left; you can browse to any directory, right-click and go "add to favorites" so that it will show up there - essentially, you're building a list of shortcuts like you want. CS2 also has something called "workspaces", but I've never used those, so I don't know much about them.

It's possible you already know all this about CS2, in which case, feel free to ignore me! :)

Cheers,
GiantAcroyear

ravells
05-05-2009, 06:35 PM
No...no I don't! That would be fantastic!

I already have all the stuff I want to use in my documents, but there's so many folders there it's three clicks: my documents>my maps>[wanted]map. I would just like to have the 'my maps' folder one click away so I don't have to keep hunting for it in my documents.

I don't know anything about SDK so that's not an option for me, I'm afraid. However I will try the CS2 dialog...that might sort it for me with that app at least!

Thanks, giant!

:: Hmm I tried the Adobe dialog and my Nikon transfer file is there, but I can't find a way of putting other folders there though...I'll google it and hope to find the answer ::

:: got it....just need to make the folder a favourite and it appears in the left hand bar:: - thanks a million - when one adds up all the wasted time in the hunting, I am sure that I will owe you at least 6 hours of my life when I shuffle off the mortal coil!!

ravells

dormouse
05-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Why not just use a launcher?

RobA recently recommended Launchy.
I use-
RocketDock
ObjectDock
CircleDock
FindAndRunRobot (otherwise known as FARR)
LaunchbarCommander
TrueLaunchBar
RecentX

ravells
05-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks dormouse, but will these get me to the folder I want when I want to open a document in a particular application.

For example, I use Serif Drawplus. I want to open a file in that so I use the open dialog within that app...would launchy work for this? From what I can see it opens apps but not files from within an app.

dormouse
05-05-2009, 07:25 PM
They'll all open files or folders.

They'll automatically launch the prog that the filetype is linked with if you open a file.

For me that is fine 95% of the time - but there's a lot of stuff I might want to open a PNG. For those, you may need to use an OpenWith dialog. Or use a hotkey that will launch a file in a particular prog. Whatever method you use in these instances, you have to select both the file and the prog.

If you want a whole folder opening in a particular prog, possibly the easiest way is to open a file in that folder that is associated with that prog. Then, when you go to the prog's Open File dialog, it will automatically start in the folder you want.

ravells
05-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Oh man...downloading now....you've just saved even more time in my life.

But will they give me shortcuts within an app when I use the open dialog there? I guess not...rats.

Of course my wife would say that you've taken up more time in my life as I'll spend more time here :)

But then she likes to watch TV.

ravells
05-05-2009, 07:41 PM
OMG I've just downloaded it....it took about 3 minutes to learn how to use....thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

dormouse
05-05-2009, 07:52 PM
But then she likes to watch TV.

:D :D :D

But will they give me shortcuts within an app when I use the open dialog there? I guess not...rats.

Rats it is, you're stuck with the dialog choices provided by the app.

Oh man...downloading now....you've just saved even more time in my life.

You think so??? You don't know the half of it. A very slippery slope indeed. So many launchers; any one might be a bit better for you, ... or a lot better. They all have to be looked at (well lots anyway) and many of them tried. And then others are brought to your attention.

It's OK once you know what works for you. Maybe. There seem to be quite a few addicts who find a new laucher every six months (or less) and claim that each is the best thing since sliced bread.

As you can see, I use quite a few. They each do something different. And they do save a lot of time. I probably would not have so many if I didn't use so many apps.

ravells
05-05-2009, 08:00 PM
I'll stick with this one thanks. I can just type the start of the name of the map / texture I want to open and it will open regardless of folder. That's good enough for me!

I really should listen to RobA's recommendations more, his one about launchy just passed me by!

dormouse
05-05-2009, 08:02 PM
If you want to look at a lot of folders at once (I do), you might want to look at using some different File Explorers. Maybe you do already.

My heavyweight is Directory Opus; lots of functions (far too many to mention) with a strength in image exploring compared to many others. Not cheap though, at least for a file explorer.

And yet, the one I use most of the time is Q-Dir. Mostly because it has 4 panels open (can be less if you wish), so it is very easy to search, copy between, different folders. Portable. Updates almost every other week. And free. Available from http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=freeware/Q-Dir. Pretty well always open on my desktop.

ravells
05-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Cheers! I'll check out Q-Dir anon!

dormouse
05-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Here's a brief review of some (keyboard) lauchers:-
http://lifehacker.com/351117/the-quicksilver+for+windows-showdown

If you are often using the mouse when you want to launch something, it is worth having one of the docks installed; or all 3 :)

And, as I think of it, you might find programs like Direct Folders or XFilesDialog or Filebox eXtender helpful. They do modify/extend the Open Dialogs.

RobA
05-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Ravs- regarding your original question, the answer is Yes, by modifying a registry key... but there a re a limited number of slots...

http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/misc/misc/system/print.php/c13407
http://vistadesktopthemes.com/customize-opensave-file-dialog-increase-your-productivity.html
http://www.liutilities.com/products/registrybooster/tweaklibrary/tweaks/10668/

-Rob A>

ravells
05-11-2009, 04:33 PM
RobA...I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. You are a genius. The first link made me go grey with fear but the second one was easy peasy lemon squeezy...this is going to save me more time than I can think of....thank you so much! Rep? Have my firstborn instead!

RPMiller
05-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Ravs, instead of doing all this extra work and installing shells and whatnot, I won't give you the lecture about that, why not simply rename the folder to "_My Maps"?

People really do like over engineering this stuff when the answer is so much simpler.

ravells
05-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Too late! I have what I want now! And it works beautifully!

RPMiller
05-11-2009, 05:44 PM
That may be, but it is not a good long term solution. When you run into this problem again, you know where I'm at. ;)

ravells
05-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Will do!!!!!