PDA

View Full Version : Yivo

pasis
05-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I have a big mapping project ongoing, but it's so huge and time consuming I decided to do something quick.

This is a lone island group somewhere in warm sea of Gwath Nae.

Steel General
05-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Nice little map...

My only tenny-tiny nit-pick is it looks like the islands are flating above the water, rather than coming out of it. I wonder if you changed the color of what looks like a stroke on the land masses if it would help (maybe some shade of lt. brown or tan) - just an idea.

pasis
05-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I made a quick solution here...is it better?
In this one I removed the 1px wide stroke from the land mass. Also selected 2px wide coast area where applied blur and lowered opacity by 30%.

Steel General
05-06-2009, 10:41 AM
That definitely made a difference, you might even be able to increase the blur some - but that's more a matter of taste.

pasis
05-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I have decided to do a active volcano to this island. I have never done that before and I know that it needs some artistic skill which I don't have, but I give it a try. I guess I go first to Google and study the volcano’s we have on earth and then start creating suitable texture.

Ramah
05-07-2009, 03:38 PM
... and I know that it needs some artistic skill which I don't have, but I give it a try.

Are you serious? All your maps are art. :s

Ascension
05-07-2009, 05:40 PM
I looked at the Hawaiian island volcanoes for my source and then did a mini tut on volcanoes...you can use that as a start but I'm sure you'd have to change it to fit more with your technique.

Yoscha
05-07-2009, 06:48 PM
I have decided to do a active volcano to this island. I have never done that before and I know that it needs some artistic skill which I don't have, but I give it a try. I guess I go first to Google and study the volcano’s we have on earth and then start creating suitable texture.

Depends on which kind of volcano you want. For some volcanoes you just have to add some smoke above a mountain.

pasis
05-08-2009, 02:30 AM
I looked at the Hawaiian island volcanoes for my source and then did a mini tut on volcanoes...you can use that as a start but I'm sure you'd have to change it to fit more with your technique.

I have missed that completely...I need to take a look at it today before I start. Thanks man.

pasis
05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
First step taken as the volcano crater is created and addition to that I put some waves to the sea.
I have also played around to create lava and smoke, but those are not ready yet for publishing.

Steel General
05-08-2009, 08:45 AM
For smoke you might think about down loading some cloud brushes (if you don't have some already).

pasis
05-08-2009, 02:32 PM
This is what I managed to do today. I'm not yet totally happy with the smoke and I will keep on experimenting some more (but hey this was my first time ever making smoke, so what can you expect).

Kristoni
05-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Whoa, nice job on the volcano, that looks convincingly hot!
Maybe you could add steam clouds (http://old.faganphotos.com/Hawaii%202005/pictures/Lava%20meets%20Ocean%201.JPG) where the lava meets the water (http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5559345)? Though that might draw the viewer's attention away from the spectacle, if it stands out too much.

Steel General
05-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Well done pasis! The Cartographers of the Heavens are smiling down upon you... :)

I think the only thing I might change would be to have the smoke start spreading out a bit more. But that's more of a personal preference than anything against how you've done this.

Ascension
05-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Lookin good.

pasis
05-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I decided to add a small "slideshow" to explain the few steps taken to create the volcano. This was my first attempt to do such thing, but it turned out good and I didn’t have to take it over to many times.