PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Dragonkin
05-07-2009, 08:24 AM
So, after a bit of a hiatus I finally got my return to fantasy roleplaying, currently with D&D, and for the first time in over a decade getting back in the DM seat.

And as I'm fleshing out the campaign and game world, naturally that means I need maps! So looking around for info on how to make nice looking maps on the computer (I can use a pencil, but only barely =P) I found this place, and being able to get great quality stuff in Photoshop (which I use regularly anyway) is far nicer than trying to learn a new set of mechanical mapping software (I tried my hand at CC3, but it felt a bit too clunky for me).

I've been reading up on a few tutorials since registering last night, most notably the rather lovely Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142) although I'm having some troubles translating the early stuff from GIMP to Photoshop, so in the meantime I'm reading other tutorials as well.

Beyond the technical aspects, I also feel I need to read up on the geographical aspects - as in, the patterns to geographical features, dos and don'ts, and all that. I've already read up on the pitfalls of rivers, but since the current starting area involves a semi-isolated area with a swamp and a port on a peninsula bordered off by mountains, I'm trying to figure out if there are any huge problems with that concept before I get too far with the details.

NeonKnight
05-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

Nope nothing at wrong with your idea. Swamps can easily be bordered by mountians. Check this link and read up on Indonesia: http://www.eosnap.com/?tag=swamp

Steel General
05-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Welcome Aboard!

If the GIMP to Photoshop conversion of RobA's tutorial is giving you trouble there are some Photoshop-specific tutorials in there as well.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work, don't be afraid to post something up in the WIP forum.

Morgaine
05-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Hey there, and welcome to the forums!