PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

HandsomeRob
05-11-2007, 01:02 AM
Hi gang,
I'm a new member here and I thought I'd share with you some of the maps I've made for my conworld. You can find them here: http://sorol.wikispaces.com.

Sorol is an Earth-like planet with a technology level roughly equivalent to Earth in the 18th century. I've made it my goal to map the whole planet at a scale of about 1" to 80 miles or so.

I appreciate any comments you guys might have, and I look forward to participating in the community here.

Thanks,
-Rob

RPMiller
05-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Welcome to the boards HandsomeRob, and I've lost count of how many Robs we have here now. ;)

That is a very, shall I say monumentally, impressive goal you have set for yourself there. I clicked through to one of the regional maps as was impressed that you had named all the bays. :shock:

I look forward to see more of your work and hope that we have something to offer you here that will keep you coming back.

ravells
05-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Hi Rob,

This is the first time I've seen a modern cartography style used for fantasy (or in your case early victorian) mapping. The level of detail for naming features is phenomenal. I'd be interested to how you went about creating the regional relief maps.

Great work and all the best

Ravs

RobA
05-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the boards HandsomeRob, and I've lost count of how many Robs we have here now. ;)

haha! Many Rob's yes, but only one "-Rob A>"

-Rob A>

(which was acutally a historical tymp of mine. I used to sign off with -Rob A. but got laxy on taking my finger of the shift key and got -Rob A> more often than no...so now, -Rob A> it is...)

keithcurtis
05-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Beautiful style! Could you tell us a little something about the software you used?

HandsomeRob
05-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Could you tell us a little something about the software you used?
Sure! My world is based in Fractal Terrains, so coastlines and relief and projections are generated from that, and then I apply linework, labels and symbols in Adobe Illustrator. Landcover is also done in illustrator, and then touched up in Photoshop.

This is my favorite so far:
(Attached) http://sorol.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/NWAzhnar.jpg

Thanks a lot, everyone, I'm sure that I'll learn a lot and see some great work while I'm here.
-Rob

pyrandon
05-11-2007, 04:05 PM
How much would we have to push, prod, & compliment to convince you to post a step-by-step tutorial on at least a tiny plot of land, Rob? I can see it being very useful for many cartographers (present company included!) to follow along as you do that voodoo that you do so well. Please?

heruca
05-11-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't know what better compliment to give that map than to say it looks like it came right out of a real world atlas. Bravo! I, too, would love to know how you get that great land texture.

RPMiller
05-11-2007, 04:43 PM
When you are painting in the terrain types do you use what Fractal Terrains gave you, or do you make it up as you go?
When you export from Fractal Terrains what settings are you using?
Do you have a color chart that you use for the terrain types? Would you be willing to share?

That's all I've got for now. :D

HandsomeRob
05-11-2007, 07:43 PM
When you are painting in the terrain types do you use what Fractal Terrains gave you, or do you make it up as you go?
Oh, I definitely make it up as I go. I pretty much only use the relief shading and coastlines from FT, I don't even use the elevations it gives.

When you export from Fractal Terrains what settings are you using?
See my tutorial below...

Do you have a color chart that you use for the terrain types? Would you be willing to share?
Sure, here it is:
Rock 30K
Settled/Farmed land 30C/50Y
Grassland 10C/60Y
Tundra 20C/10Y
Scrubland 20C/10M/30Y
Sand 10M/30Y
Volcanics 30M/20Y/30K
Deciduous forest 60C/60Y
Mixed forest 70C/10M/70Y
Coniferous forest 80C/30M/80Y
Rainforest 90C/90Y
Wetlands 40C/20Y
Water 30C
I use a different color for rock in deserts (when it's typically red sandstone), but I can't remember what it is at the moment.

I've done a tutorial on my process before for a different board, and you can find it here. (http://www.conlanger.com/issue5.pdf)

Thanks a bunch, guys.
-Rob

ravells
05-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Thanks a million Rob, superb tutorial!

Ravs

Torq
06-07-2007, 05:11 AM
Brilliant Map HandsomeRob!!!!!!

Weirdly enough I'm also a Rob A, but I'll stick with the Colloqiual "Torq" for the moment, these boards seem a little "Rob congested".