PDA

View Full Version : May Entry: A Stroll Through the Sewers

Steel General
05-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Just a place holder for now... hopefully I have time to complete this.

Steel General
05-14-2009, 03:52 PM
OK, here is my first pass on the first 3 tiles;

1) Dead end with flowing pipe
2) 4-way intersection
3) Basic sewer section

I have plans for at least 3 other tiles and a couple of 'extra pieces'. We'll see how it goes.

As always C&C welcome...

Steel General
05-15-2009, 12:11 PM
OK... five more tiles...

1) 90 degree turn (may do a more curved one if I have time)
2) "Cistern"
3) "Cul-de-sac" w/ladder
4) Generic entry/exit with gate
5) 'T' Intersection

### Latest WIP ###

loogie
05-17-2009, 04:33 PM
that first post pics looks like an artist rendereing of the l4d sewers... any idea if thats where its from?

ravells
05-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Looking really good SG!!

Steel General
05-17-2009, 08:44 PM
that first post pics looks like an artist rendereing of the l4d sewers... any idea if thats where its from?

Sorry Loogie, its just a pic I grabbed off of a google search for sewer maps.

@Ravs - Thanks...

RPMiller
05-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Looking good SG! Perhaps you could add some areas of more transparent water just to break up the green sludge and give it more character? Maybe mix in some browns as well. Might also be interesting to have some debris that can be dropped in here and there. Something like partly submerged tires, shopping carts, that sort of thing.

Steel General
05-18-2009, 03:08 PM
@RP - Thanks... The water is actually 3 layers; there is a dark brown at the bottom, a darker green above that set to around 60% opacity and another layer of green above that with the texture on it. I'm not completely happy with the water but at least at this point I have enough to make a legitimate entry for the challenge.

I do plan on some other 'drop-in' items; moveable walkways, debris piles, maybe a couple of critters or two. Just a matter of whether I have the time.

RPMiller
05-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Maybe on that top layer you can use the cloud renderer and then set it to multiply to allow more of the brownish colors to come through. Perhaps even add a "waterish" layer above the brown layer and then use the clouds to cut out sections of the green layer and then multiply with that top layer? I'm just trying to think of ways to add a little more "eww... character" to the overall sludge.

Steel General
05-20-2009, 02:09 PM
OK, I've tweaked the water a bit on one of the tiles, let me know which version you like better.

The first image has the new style of water.

RPMiller
05-20-2009, 02:43 PM
I like the first one better, but there is still something "inorganic" about it. I can't quite place my finger on what it is.

Darken
05-20-2009, 03:49 PM
I like the first one better, but there is still something "inorganic" about it. I can't quite place my finger on what it is.

And here I preferred the one on the right...

BTW: not to hijack the thread or anything, but what happened to HAL RPMiller? His light is out :(

RPMiller
05-20-2009, 04:03 PM
My online time is currently so reduced that I am rarely "online." Thus the light is out until I return to normal operation. ;)

Ascension
05-20-2009, 05:45 PM
I like the olive color over the fir tree color. I think the inorganic feeling is coming from the texture, it looks sort of like paint but is also repetitive...plus there is no junk along the edges like pipes or broken bits of wood or slime. The thing that I'd do is simply throw a layer of black or brown on the olive one and turn down the opacity so that it looks like dark olive or a layer of olive & brown clouds to put some slime into it.

Albrechtw4
05-20-2009, 08:02 PM
I would say some highlights in the sewage. Sure its dark and underground, but any light coming from grates or holes would reflect off a wet surface. I think your sewage colors look good, they just don't look wet. My opinion.

cmnmd
05-20-2009, 08:32 PM
SG, Good work. The Sewer Map Pack I did for Paizo was a little similar and had its challenges, too. Getting the water to have the right murkiness to it was a toughie, but I found the right textures and effects for the finals.

I like the greenish water better than the blue. Water isn't blue so it's tough to get away from that being that the light reflected in a place like a sewer would give that effect. I would like to see some cast shadows from the edge of the water to give some depth from the players on the edge. This would also make the water not appear to meet the edge of the stone. I do like the pattern you have for the sidewalk. Patterns like that are tough to read, but this is a good one. The wall and the sidewalk appear to have a similar texture and tone. Applying some curves to the wall or a darker layer could help that. A good PS trick is to have a layer on top set to opacity and use a random looking brush set to 10% with a white color and gradually build up some highlights. This will help make the path look a little worn and well treaded. Some cracks here and there to effect if you want and this is a winner. I made a cople small adjustments and here's what I came up with. I'm happy to share the PSD if you like, too.

Steel General
05-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated.
@cmnmd - Yes, please post the .PSD

UPDATE: had a bit of free time this morning, here's another update. I took into account many of the ideas/suggestions I've received and think this is much better than either of the previous versions...

Ascension
05-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Agreed, that is lookin good.

RPMiller
05-21-2009, 12:23 PM
*DING* *DING* *DING* I think we have a winna! Yes, that has the organic feel and depth that I was very poorly trying to explain. That is looking much much better!

Steel General
05-21-2009, 02:47 PM
OK, now all I need to do is go and make all of the changes to the other tiles. Luckily I really only have to change 2 layers on each one. :D

Steel General
05-22-2009, 01:45 PM
OK, I've updated the rest of the 'tiles' to match the last version of the "test tile". I've uploaded it as a contact sheet so that all of the images are on 1 post.

The contact sheet are the original images @200ppi

The .zip files contain the tiles @100ppi which I believe is preferred for VTTs.

I'd appreciate it if someone could test them to see if they will work correctly.

Thanks to all... and a special thanks to those who gave critiques / comments. My work is always better for it even if I don't necessarily implement all of them.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
05-22-2009, 05:32 PM
The only thing that I see is that since you have a shadow you won't be able to use the corner for all corners...the shadow will be wonky. Otherwise this is some really nice stuff, bro.

Steel General
05-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks...Yeah I tried to get rid of those in the .PSDs but I couldn't (went through each layer individually). May have to go back through the .PNGs and see if I can erase them there.

Immolate
05-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Fantastic stuff. I love it when someone takes the time to address a theme adequately, and I think you have. Best of all, you have chosen to share the tools you have created with the rest of us. Thank you!

Sigurd
05-30-2009, 12:47 PM
They both have merit.

I like the scummy green as its more spooky.

The lighter blue looks a little more healthy and makes me think the sewer flows faster.

Sigurd