PDA

View Full Version : UBORA A New World

Nexis
05-15-2009, 07:52 PM
OK I have had this in my head for years but only now was abel to get to it as I have gotten a copy of CS2.
The world is called UBORA. The centeral nation I am creating is a kindof a cross between Excalibur and the Holy Roman Empire c.900ACE to 1200ACE. The empire is rulled by the church of Aluval. A Lawfull Good God. They have a Pontif and an Emperor. This is not a secular government. All government positions are assigned to clerics depending on their rank and powers.

I am useing FTPro to creat the world outline. Just the coast and no land. I want to build it up myself. I have Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2. I am using Pasi's fab tutorial on mountain building because it allows finer controll using my Wacom Bamboo tablet.

This is a learning runthrough and not a finished map. I just would like opinions on the forest fill (does it look good at this large scale?) and some on the mountains. The scale is very big. The land is almost 700 miles across here. Any and all comments and ideas welcome.

Gandwarf
05-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Need zoomed in version :)

Anyway, the mountains and trees look nice. Because it's a top down, realistic representation (almost a sattelite image) I am not sure if the forests scale very well though... I am getting the idea that I am seeing individual trees, which would make the area pictured smaller than you want to convey, I think.

The map does look cool, so have some rep.

Nexis
05-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Need zoomed in version :)

Anyway, the mountains and trees look nice. Because it's a top down, realistic representation (almost a sattelite image) I am not sure if the forests scale very well though... I am getting the idea that I am seeing individual trees, which would make the area pictured smaller than you want to convey, I think.

The map does look cool, so have some rep.

FIRST REP!! DANCE!!
Yes that was what I was thinking. I need to find a fill that looks like a forest but has the right texture. That goes for grass and light woods to. I'm not shur if a solid shade would be appropriate. I think it would look a little blank.

Ascension
05-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Try just using a base color of green then put a few more layers on top; each layer is filled with different amounts of noise, then give each of those layers a slightly different color (like amber, brown, light green, dark green, etc). Set the color overlay to match the color (like screen for light colors and multiply for darks) and then set each noise layer to something like multiply so that only the dark pixels show. Lastly, you could use a few layers of clouds to help break up the uniformity.

Nexis
05-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Try just using a base color of green then put a few more layers on top; each layer is filled with different amounts of noise, then give each of those layers a slightly different color (like amber, brown, light green, dark green, etc). Set the color overlay to match the color (like screen for light colors and multiply for darks) and then set each noise layer to something like multiply so that only the dark pixels show. Lastly, you could use a few layers of clouds to help break up the uniformity.

Good idea. Will give that a try!

Nexis
05-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Using Ascension's advice I messes around with the fill and came up with this. The next map will be bigger so you can see it better.

Novarri
05-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Hm. I like that color-wise, but I like how on your first map, it was obvious what was forest and what wasn't - on this one, it's not so visible. Still, looking forward to that zoomed in map! Also, interesting world-concept. I assume it's for D&D (since you refer to clerics as having powers)?

Nexis
05-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Hm. I like that color-wise, but I like how on your first map, it was obvious what was forest and what wasn't - on this one, it's not so visible. Still, looking forward to that zoomed in map! Also, interesting world-concept. I assume it's for D&D (since you refer to clerics as having powers)?

Yep D&D 3.5 till Pathfinder comes out.

Nexis
05-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Ok after some more experimenting I now have a mountain idea. A large chain with reminents trailing on the west coast of the peninsula that will be the home of the Aluval Empire and the City Of The Holy See. Let me know especialy about the trailing reminents. I'm of two minds on those.

landorl
05-17-2009, 10:11 PM
I love this new mountain style! It looks great!

Nexis
05-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Ok I have added a forest texture with an open grassland texture around it.
At this scale it's not easy to find a texture that will give the impression of forest or grass without messing up the visual scale.

Sirith
05-21-2009, 10:05 AM
I like the mountainrange a lot. It looks very natural. With 'trailing remnants' I assume you mean how the mountains recede to hills? Like the small ridges around the actual mountains? I think those look very good, though you could make them blend a little bit more with the background.

Can't really help on the textures. Right now the forests and the grasslands seem very alike in texture, perhaps making the grasslands smoother (through lowering the opacity or changing layer attributes, I think simply blurring or smudging will end up looking not that good) will make them look less similar.

Nexis
05-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Yes the trailing foothills do seem to stand out a bit much. Lower the opacity a little and let some of the forest come through.