PDA

View Full Version : May Entry: Escape from The Afflicted

CBDroege
05-17-2009, 01:44 AM
This months Challenge lines up with something I'm working on for my current campaign. What luck!

The players are chased up to the rooftop by a mob of 'afflicted' townsfolk, and must make their way across the rooftops around the end of the street, and over to the well-fortified Tavern, where their contact is waiting for them to help them escape the city.

I'm using Dunjini and Photoshop to create the map, and my group plays in Fantasy Grounds II.

So far, all I have is a line-drawing of where I want the buildings and street to go. The players might actually get to this part of the adventure tonight, so I'll be working hard on it today to get a passable version done.

### Latest WIP ###

CBDroege
05-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Okay. I managed to get textures in place before heading off to bed. Obviously, this is just the beginning. I think I might have too much variety among my rooftops (and one is missing a texture altogether). More work in the morning...

BTW: It's in 3 pieces now because Dunjini only allows you to work on pages that are 8x10 print size. It'll all be joined in one file when finished.

### Latest WIP ###

CBDroege
05-17-2009, 04:29 PM
I've done as much as I can in Dunjini. The rest of the detailing will have to be done in Photoshop. It's done enough atthis point that I can use it tonight if I need to, but I sort-of hope that the players don't quite get this far tonight, so that I have another week to make it look good before they see it.

I had to significantly decrease the resolution to get under the upload limit. :/ I use 10px=1ft scale in my adventure maps, and I had to take this down to 5px=1ft, making it a quarter of it's final size.

### Latest WIP ###

NeonKnight
05-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Looks good so far. I'm liking it

Ascension
05-17-2009, 07:27 PM
I can't tell if those stone things are platforms or buildings...if the latter then ya need some shadows; if the former then good job :)

Steel General
05-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Well Ascension beat me to it regarding the shadows.

Other than that, coming along nicely.

industrygothica
05-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Speaking of shadows... you've got a tent (at least I think that's what it is) in the northeast corner with a shadow going in one direction, and one in the southwest corner with a shadow going in the opposite direction.

-IG

CBDroege
05-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Yes. The shadows certainly need work, and I want to find some way to make the ground level sort -of fade out or look less sharp. I want it to be clear that the focus is the rooftops, and not the ground.

The tents are a result of the Dunjini tile already having its own shadow, which means I'll have to do some detail editing to remove the shadow, then add my own.

Luckily, the players just barely didn't make it this far before we ran out of time last night, so they'll get to see the better version if I finish it this week. :)

CBDroege
05-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Here's where I am. I played with some exposure effects to de-emphasise the ground level, and added shadows to the buildings. I'm not sure how happy I am with either choice, especially the shadows. It makes the buildings look like they're all the exact same height, which, as I look at it now, I don't want. I'll at least still be completely redoing the shadows (and I haven't gotten around to fiddling with the shadows on the tents yet).

### Latest WIP ###

CBDroege
05-20-2009, 01:30 PM
I've completely redone the shadows from scratch. I need to let this sit for a couple days before I can see what else it needs. Once again, I've had to reduce the scale for upload.

## Latest WIP ###

Steel General
05-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Nice... the only thing that seems a bit off to me is the grass texture appears to be a bit repetitive (but that might just be me).

Ascension
05-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Shadows look much better, like the bldgs are diff heights.

CBDroege
05-28-2009, 03:54 PM
It's done. The chase starts when the players emerge from a tunnel system (which they had to sneak through because the bridges are closed for an unspecified reason). The afflicted townsfolk are swarming outside the building, and upon seeing the heroes, they try to break in, smashing at the doors and windows. To make sure that the players understand they they cannot actually fight these creatures, the NPC in the party will flip out, and start trying to get everyone to take the ladder up onto the roof to look for some way out. Hopefully, they follow. Once up there, they can see the tavern/inn where they know their smuggling contact was last seen. On the roof of the tavern, they see that contact waving at them, and shouting for them to find a way over to him. The whole rooftop portion of the map will then be revealed, hopefully making the path obvious. If the players don't start moving, the NPC will.

The afflicted will begin coming out of the hatch in the roof, moving slowly.

There will be lots of standard jump checks, and a few, mid-run fights. The afflicted will not be particularly difficult to cut down individually, mostly due to an extremely low AC, but every few rounds, they will find a new way up onto the rooftops, by way of various trees and trellises. There is no end to the afflicted, they will continue to harass the heroes until they reach the safety of the tavern.

If the players think to use some teamwork to get across, it should all present only a token challenge, but if each of the characters is left to go it alone, one of the heavily armored, or low dexterity characters may become badly wounded, or even die in the chase. If one member falls off of a rooftop, they will have to be pulled back up by rope, taking hits from the swarming afflicted while on the ground. One of the smaller rooftops off to the side will have people on it, shouting to the heroes for help. I don't know how they would be able to rescue the people. They wont be able to do it unless they think of something I haven't thought of (which they do all the time anyway).

There will be a wooden plank, represented by a token that looks like a ship's plank, stretched between the tavern and the building right before it, this can be retracted to the tavern roof once the players are safely across.

I created an extra map of a portion of the are including the warehouse and the tavern just in case I need it (for example, if they find some way to fend off the afflicted, and get across the road on the ground).

Here is a link to the full-sized file (10px = 1ft) which I will be using on our virtual tabletop. The scaled down version attached below is just to get it to work with the thumbnail system. Keep in mind that the reduction of the resolution makes the tiles look more repetitive, and the detail less interesting, than the full-size version :). Be aware that this file is almost 15MB, so it might be a bit hefty for someone with a slow connection.

http://transfer.cbdroege.com/Southern%20Flai%20all%20in%20one.png

### Latest WIP ###