PDA

View Full Version : New here, welcoming comments

cmnmd
05-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Hey all. I'm new to this forum, but am a longtime artist in the RPG and gaming community. I'm glad to be a part of this community of gamers and artists who bring the gametable to life with art. I illustrate the maps for Paizo Publishing's GameMastery Line and WotC's Star Wars RPG Dawn of Defiance online maps. These are a blast to create. I am working on some possible product ideas to help the VTT and map making community. I would like some feedback to what would be ideal for a beginning pack<terrain, tiles, objects, effects>. I know that PSDs and PNG files are best. I'm also plan to write tutorials to be included in this proposed product. Please start discussions here or email me. Thanks.
-Corey Macourek :lol:

Gamerprinter
05-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the Guild! (again)

Perhaps if you can upload some samples of your work, we can get you approved for industry pro status. Regarding samples, although we sometimes post All Rights Reserved maps to these boards, one must insure the proper licensing is mentioned so others do not download to their hearts content.

If you have any personal maps (not property to Paizo or WotC) to upload you ought to - the community wants to see your work. Besides you'll want some REP and the best way to get that is to show off maps.

You might also post your VT project ideas to the VT forum below.

Again welcome to the Guild and good luck on your project!

GP

NeonKnight
05-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Steel General
05-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Welcome Aboard!

torstan
05-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Hey Corey,

Glad to see you made it over. I look forward to seeing some of your maps.

Best,

Jon

Redrobes
05-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi,

I think PNGs with full RGBA are a given now for VTTs. Some rely on them exclusively but all of them use them as the mainstay or can import them.

I would assume your familiar with whats out there already but the items in the CUSAC are a big collection and Devins got loads of characters too. Theres also the Dundjinni art forums which people use a lot. There is also the RPGMapShare site with a lot of items up too. There's a lot of stuff that's hard to come by esp in the non fantasy areas. Plenty of stuff to choose to draw but whether there's a big market to buy packs I don't know so much.

Would like a drool over some great art if you have any to post.

ravells
05-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Good to have you here! I'm sure you'll be teaching us a lot of stuff....we want tutorials!

Krome
05-19-2009, 11:05 PM
HEY COREY! It's me! Krome! From Paizo! You're in for it now, cause I can ask for advice here! :)

Ascension
05-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Welcome to the guild. I'm sure that you will find more than enough info here to help you out...it might take some time to dig it up since there are a ton of things to go thru but the info is there. Cheers and have fun.

torstan
05-20-2009, 11:57 AM
As for Corey's Industry Pro status, I think we can probably let him in:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=corey+macourek&x=0&y=0

:)

cmnmd
05-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the kind welcoming words and 'hellos' from those from the Paizo board. Sharing tutorials in a blog is a new one for me. I'm very open to help with Photoshop questions. I eat, sleep, and breath it and taught it for 2 years at the School of Visual Concepts in Seattle.

For posting tutorials, does/should this get done with image posts or linking a PDF?

Also, here is a preview from my first map building pack. Due in the near future. You'll hear about it. :) Thanks again!

-Corey

ravells
05-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Yummy textures Corey!

Whether you want to post your tutorials as pdfs or with uploaded images is entirely up to you. Generally I find that if it's a short tutorial then uploading images means people can see exactly what it is while browsing around.

Ascension
05-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I always write mine up in Word as I'm working on it and then chop up it up into manageable posts here for the peoples because some (at least one that I know of) were having troubles with the images in my .doc file. We have a scribe here (Vandy) who goes through and puts the posts together into pdfs but I'm sure he'd appreciate it if we put the pdf up our self so that he could get back to mapping :) Since I got a new pc and lost my backdoored Microsoft Office and switched to Open Office I'll be doing the multiple post thing with a pdf in the first post.