PDA

View Full Version : May/June Light Entry: Errland

lab205
05-19-2009, 04:32 PM
This is my attempt at a beginning of a region for the contest. I know its not that great, but I'm still learning. So far everything is done in Gimp, I'm going to add more detail as time progresses, and as I learn more. I may possibly start over, but I'm going to try to give this contest my best shot.

ravells
05-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi Lab! The fact that you have thrown your hat in the ring is great! Having to make a map against is a deadline is the best way to learn....anyway it's how I did. Doubtless you'll have plenty of advice along the way, but my question is:

Do you know what you want your map to look like (stylewise) when you've finished it? Or are you winging it? (which is what I usually do). What is interesting about the coastline is that it looks very square on the pixels...which suggests to me that you're using quite a low resolution to draw the map (or have imported a low res coastline). It definitely looks vector.

Having a look at the tools of your trade, try this: print out the map at a very low opacity and go over the coastline with a black pen making it more curvy and wiggly. Scan it, and then import into Gimp (say 2000 by 2000 pixels in size). Use level adjustments to make just the coastline visible and then go for your fills.

It's a great start but I fear those blocky coastlines will come back and haunt you if you don't get rid of them now.

lab205
05-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks for you advice, I noticed what your talking about. Now that I got a little bit of an idea of how i want it to look i think i can redo it with more detail. And yes, I am 100% winging it.

BTW, its called Errland for a reason, cause I'm a gonna make a lotta of mistakes. "Trial and Error" is my preferred method of learning, maybe thats why I'm not a pilot.

lab205
05-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Okay, I've been playing around with gimp, and I have added a little more detailed. Any advice and constructive criticism is welcomed.

Ascension
05-20-2009, 08:16 PM
I'd say so far so good. The only thing you might want to think about is less yellow on the beach and more of a light tan.

msa
05-22-2009, 09:58 AM
I kind of liked the pixelated look, but it has to be something you are going for to make it look right. The newer version is much smoother, and its a nice start. However, the coastline smoothed out a lot in the new version. Any way you can add some of those little coves and peninsulas that were in the first version back into the map?

lab205
05-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Okay, I took Ascensions advice, the coast did look very yellow. Now, I've added a mountain a river and a desert. Next I'm going to add a Volcano to the Island, some lakes and, maybe another river, then I'm going to start adding Villages.
As usual, Any advice and constructive criticism is welcomed.

lab205
05-22-2009, 10:18 AM
I was in the middle of posting when msa left a post.
I have noticed the coastline is very smooth. I may be able to fix it up a little, but it will be no where near as rugged as it was in the first version.

Gandwarf
05-22-2009, 10:52 AM
The river looks cool, but not very natural. There's a lot of forks that just end? They should lead to the ocean, although rivers generally don't split either :)

ravells
05-22-2009, 11:29 AM
It's a definite improvement! The mountains look a little blobby though...have a look at the link in my sig for a tutorial to make them look a little more natural.

Steel General
05-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Coming along nicely...

RobA
05-22-2009, 12:58 PM
The river issue was mentioned.

To clarify, the left shows the downhill directions for your river to make sense. (while possibly, is highly unlikely to have occured ;) )

The right is a possible fix. The one joining river comes in from the same uphill direction. In order to five the same visual weight, I made the river meander (likely in a softer soil, fairly flat region) and added a number of possibly oxbow lakes caused by the meandering.

Hope the suggestion helps!

-Rob A>

lab205
05-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for all the advice, that was extraordinarily expedite (look at me I use grown-up words).
Ravells, I will check out you mountain tutorial, hopefully is works in Gimp equally as well as Photoshop.
Gandwarf, thanks for pointing out my error with the river, and Roba thanks for elaborating, the picture your added is extremely helpful (I guess thats why your the river police). I could be lazy and say they become underground rivers, but I want this river to look somewhat natural.
I will improve my map and hopefully add a better version this weekend, so stay tuned.

lab205
05-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Okay, heres the latest. I fixed the river, tell me what you think about them.
I didn't fixed the mountains, I haven't looked at any of the tutorials yet, sorry ravells. But, I did experiment, tell me what you think about the Volcano on the Island. I also experimented with the river lakes and the marsh near the top.
My next step is to check out ravells' tutorial, and fix the mountains. Then I'm going to add some tribe/village things.

Zar Peter
05-27-2009, 05:12 PM
I would say seeing your first try this is very pretty. For the rivers: I would cut the little stream that's flowing from the lake to the delta.

Ascension
05-27-2009, 05:57 PM
The only thing I see is that the lake has 3 egresses (outflowing rivers) so I'd cut the two on the top left leaving a northeast to southwest flow. If the two on the top left have to stay then I'd put some big hills in the southwest (between the lake and the delta) to force the river to flow northwest.