PDA

View Full Version : May/June Lite Entry: County of Clether

Zar Peter
05-19-2009, 04:06 PM
I thought of a Norwegian surrounding with Fjords and a rather steep coast. Since I'm mostly in the phase of trying out Gimp I hope it become decent.

For the start I have the sea and rivers.

ravells
05-19-2009, 04:47 PM
I really like the halos of the land in the sea. the rivers look good too as do the wiggly bits on the coast....did you hand draw the coast or use a tutorial? It would be nice to have you talk us through this one.

Zar Peter
05-19-2009, 05:25 PM
The idea came from Ascensions "Antique Style maps in Photoshop".

First I make an outline plan of the coastline I want (preferable not black, I used green here)
I make three layers with clouds, the more detail the wigglier the coast. Set the opacity of the two upper layers to 50% and merge them down. Then I set the opacity of this layer to 50% and lay the outline plan under that. Now I take a signal color (red) and fill the pieces along my want to be coastline (sometimes I have to hand-draw a bit. When finished select by color and copy the red bits to a new layer. Then select the sea and save the selection as sea or coastline or whatever.

In my picture there's the coastline before the selection... the greys are the clouds, the green is the sketch and light red is the filled new coastline.

Ascension
05-19-2009, 06:02 PM
I like your idea of layered clouds...might give me more (finer) detail so I'll have to try that sometime.

ravells
05-19-2009, 06:55 PM
ouch! this hurts my eyes....but I'm sure it's going somewhere good!

Zar Peter
05-20-2009, 05:23 AM
Yep, it's better to Zoom in while working :D

And I forgot in the description that you have to set the Colour Contrast of the Clouds to a maximum (so you get a black/white picture) before you can work with them.

Zar Peter
05-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Well, the terraforming process should be finished now... it's lacking woods and Towns. (The dark green areas are swamps).

msa
05-22-2009, 09:00 AM
When I saw the first one, I was expecting some sort of arctic/turndra map! The second versions shocked me a bit!

I like the new version even though I was excited about a frozen map. I think the coastlines are beautiful, and the rivers and mountains are very nice as well. Good gradiation between the mountains and the land especially.

Lookin' good!

Zar Peter
05-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Oh yes! Snow... I wanted to make Norwegian style...

Ah well, the map is the Summer version, but I added snow caps now. And for the feeling a frozen landscape in winter :D (only for fun, I have no idea for now how to make good looking snow).

Thanks msa for the kind words.

Gandwarf
05-22-2009, 02:05 PM
This is turning into a pretty cool map Zar Peter! I would like to see a zoomed in version, though :D

Zar Peter
05-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Actually I have problems with the size. I draw in 2000*2000 pixels but have to resize it to 1000*1000 because the .png picture is about 7.8 MB big.

Ascension
05-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Save it as a jpg then, should save a lot on the file size. I don't know if Gimp has this feature but in Photoshop I can set a slider for when my images are too large (in the file size not pixel dimensions), so by reducing quality the size goes down and I can upload. Most of my posts are this way.

Zar Peter
05-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Ok, latest WIP as test-jpg. And I want to see how the Names and the streets are working.

Edit: Thank you very much Ascension! That's what I was looking for. OK, now you can take a closer look...

Steel General
05-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Coming along nicely...

There are a couple spots where your road(s) lay on top of your cities - should be easy to fix. Also, you might consider changing the color of the bevels on your rivers to something a little less dark (a light brown or dark tan).

Zar Peter
05-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks Steel, yes the roads were easily to fix. Changed the Bevel of the Rivers, too (only one instead of three bump maps).

Other changes: Adjusting of the River ends, City-, River-, Sea and Island names completed.

Lates WIP:

Zar Peter
06-01-2009, 05:08 PM
So, I think this could be the end version... I'm not sure about the colors of the frame, though.

Ascension
06-01-2009, 05:28 PM
With your light yellow green land, the complimentary color (opposite) would be a dark reddish purple, the split compliments would be dark reddish orange or dark bluish purple...I'd go with the dark reddish orange.

msa
06-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Love the scroll and the extensive labels! The map has a very complete and flavorful feel. I like the border as is, but I can certainly appreciate the desire to tweak it and asc's advice sounds typically well-reasoned.

Zar Peter
06-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Thank you for the kind words, I'm really pleased how the scroll turned out. It was worth the work.

I think this is the last version, I added a scale (again thanks to RobA for the find, it made it a lot easier!) and I tried to get a better high feeling of the land mass (means: I bumped it a bit more :)).
I let the frame as it is, I tried a few oranges but they didn't look better than the red I have.
I must say I learned a lot about Gimp (and how to draw maps) with this challenge, thanks for the opportunity.

ravells
06-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Zounds! A goodly map indeed!

I love:

The colours: Super saturated, but they work really well.
The city symbols: lovely.
The graticule at an angle: can't recall seeing that before - it's really cool.
The beaches.

I don't like so much:

The border: It looks a bit like those lights around mirrors in an actor's dressing room and the colours clash with the map. if you're using photoshop one way I use to make my borders is to select the whole map and use the average filter and use that as the border colour. It always kind of looks right because it's the average colour of all the colours in the map. I'm sure there are other better ways.

Lack of text on a curve on the sea labels: I think much of that text would be much nicer if it was on a curve. Having it as it is creates distracting patterns.

The scroll texture: it looks too pixellated - but that's a really small crit.

My fave place is the 'swamp o' death' -- I've been calling everything I've been making recently the '..... o' death' so it's nice to see someone else do it too. Pernis Island, Double Twin Island and Booty Island made me laugh...(that's just my filthy mind).

Really great map, Zar!

Ascension
06-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Nice work, man. I love seeing people learn and experiment and grow. I'm kinda partial to Phatt Island.

Zar Peter
06-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Oh... wow! You guys know how to make encouraging critics.

Ravells, the things you don't like are exact the things I thought are improvable.
Problems:

The Scroll is a bit too small to keep all the text I want it for... I don't want to make it bigger now but it's definitely a thing I should consider the next time before drawing.

The frame: Needs a lot of work but I don't think I get the time till voting. I will work on it, though, if I have the time the next days.

The sea lables: I tried it on a curve but wasn't pleased with the result. After your critics I tried again with a bit more effort... I hope it makes a difference.

Oh, and for the labels at all: For the towns and cities I used a Random Name Generator and converted the names (my favourite place is Hinlyenalum, it sounds very ancient), the rivers a dedicated to Monty Phyton and Terry Pratchett and the Isles (at least most of the uninhabited ones) are dedicated to Ron Gilberts Monkey Island (for those who don't know here's the link: "The secret of Monkey Island" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Island_(series)))