PDA

View Full Version : Senvale, the city of canals

vman3force
05-20-2009, 07:14 PM
the city of senvale is located at the mouth of two major rivers, and is both a political and trade capital. because of the constant commerce it sees its important that transport is quick and linear. Thus a grid of canals were built to transport people and cargo easily through the city. all of them connect to the lake turned harbor in the middle of the city.

I started this map this morning, about 8 hours work in it so far. the buildings, as you can see, are really really small, and thees lots of them. When i print it out (it'll be about 2 feet by three feet) im going to attach it to cork board, and use little pins w/ flags to show locations.

Progress: [XXX-------] approximately 30%

Ascension
05-20-2009, 08:26 PM
That's some nice untanned leather...did you make that or is it a pic? City looks good too so far.

vman3force
05-20-2009, 09:37 PM
That's some nice untanned leather...did you make that or is it a pic? City looks good too so far.

I get all my stock from Deviantart. im pretty sure both the map and background are photographs. i sorta think it gives the piece a more believable quality.

Masden
05-21-2009, 03:02 AM
I like it, but the rusted metal background certainly detracts from your work. I'd prefer it on plain black or white

Gandwarf
05-21-2009, 07:30 AM
Yeah, I agree with Masden. The city is starting to look good, but I would prefer the map to be on a neutral background (the leather is cool!).

Steel General
05-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Coming along nicely...

I have taken the liberty of re-posting your map as an attachment.

vman3force
05-21-2009, 03:28 PM
As per requested, i darkened the background some to neutralize the tone. any better? Also, i think im getting carpel tunnel from drawing tiny boxes...

Progress: [XXXXX-----] approximately 50%

ravells
05-21-2009, 05:40 PM
You have my complete encouragement and sympathy in drawing these city buildings. Keep going ...the effort will be worth it in the end!

vman3force
05-22-2009, 01:29 PM
So, i put in the rest of the buildings. now it really feels like a sprawling city. now im going to go back and label major areas, and probably tweak the color a bit.

Progress: [XXXXXXXXX-] approximately 90%

Ascension
05-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Looks good to me, good stuff.

jaspertjie
05-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Wow lol you draw with the same style as me!