PDA

View Full Version : Something to kill an afternoon

palehorse
05-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Hi all! I haven't been on in awhile, but I'll try to be better about coming over here more often in the future. :)

Just thought I'd stop in and post something I knocked out a couple of days ago. I had an afternoon free and I needed a break from all the other drawing I'd been doing, so I whipped up a little regional map. If I ever decide to use it for something, I'll probably do some color correction and add text labels in Photoshop, but at this time, for all intents and purposes, it's done.

The color was done with watercolor pencils and Niji waterbrushes. The outlines were done with a dip pen and a nice, free-flowing fountain pen ink that I really like. Unfortunately, the ink isn't waterproof, so I had to do all the colors first, then the outlines. If you pop over to my sketchblog - http://zombiesketch.blogspot.com - you can check out the work-in-progress pictures I took.

Unfortunately my scanner isn't the newest or bestest, so I'm afraid some of the subtlety of the watercolor is lost in the translation, but you get the general idea.

I guess it's not bad considering how out of practice I am with watercolor.

StillCypher
05-21-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm really liking the colors and the natural texturing. There's something about the lines around the land and the hills/mountains, though, that makes me see a quilt...

Um, yes. I've done quilting.

And it's really good to see some of your stuff again! :)

jfrazierjr
05-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Nice map! Butch, you deserve FAR more reputation than you currently have... here.. have +6.....

It's good to see you around, and we hope you'll pop in more often!

Steel General
05-21-2009, 02:34 PM
If that's your 'out-of-practice' with water colors, can't wait to see some of the 'in-practice' stuff.

Very nice!!

Have some more 'rep' *bonk*

palehorse
05-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks all! I should point out that, in addition to leaving some room to Photoshop in some settlements and such later, it was intended to be an 8.5 x 5.5 half page map in it's finished form, so I didn't want to throw a whole lot of detail onto there.

I ended up adding the 'rippling waves' around the coastline to cover up how sloppy the shading there came out. There are a few places where I just couldn't cover it up, though, mostly in the long east-to-west and sw-to-ne channels; you can really tell where I couldn't manage a smooth transition between the colors. Ah, well, I'll try to do better next time.

torstan
05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Nice stuff: like it a lot. And a little more rep from me.

vman3force
05-21-2009, 06:23 PM
its always nice to see maps made in traditional media; its my personal favorite as well.

Turgenev
05-21-2009, 06:29 PM
I really like the texture of the map. Well done. It has a nice warm vibe to it. Have some well earned rep.

palehorse
05-21-2009, 06:38 PM
its always nice to see maps made in traditional media; its my personal favorite as well.

When I'm making a map for someone else's product, I always use Photoshop, because I never know when I might have to make changes to it or what form those changes might take. When I'm making one for one of my campaigns, I'll use PS as well because then I don't usually have a lot of time and I can really crank 'em out. lol

When I'm doing them purely for pleasure, though, or if I'm intending it more as an object d'art than as something I'll get any practical use for, I like to go old school and take my time with it! I do have a new dungeon project I'm working on, though, and I'm planning on experimenting a bit more on combining the two. I've done that with other things, but so far at least all my cartography has been one or the other!

palehorse
05-21-2009, 06:40 PM
I really like the texture of the map. Well done. It has a nice warm vibe to it. Have some well earned rep.

That cheap watercolor paper really does have a nice texture to it! And it takes a nib pen surprisingly well, much better than some of the low-grade bristol board I've used in the past. I'd love to try using some hot-pressed watercolor paper sometime, though, something with a bit less tooth to it.

Sigurd
05-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Hey, Nice map.

I just wanted to thank you for all your mapping vids.

Have some rep.

Sigurd

palehorse
05-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Hey, Nice map.

I just wanted to thank you for all your mapping vids.

Thanks! I'd really like to do more, but they're so freakin' time consuming, mostly because I'm pretty anal retentive about that sort of thing and spend entirely too much time trying to get it just right. :lol:

I've been kicking around the idea of doing more of them, but this time as a live show on Ustream or something similar, mostly just to keep myself from editing it to death!

Ascension
05-22-2009, 12:27 AM
If you do that I'll certainly watch if you post up a time and link here.

ravells
05-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Glad you're back Butch and thanks again for the tutorials!!

StillCypher
05-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks! I'd really like to do more, but they're so freakin' time consuming, mostly because I'm pretty anal retentive about that sort of thing and spend entirely too much time trying to get it just right. :lol:

I've been kicking around the idea of doing more of them, but this time as a live show on Ustream or something similar, mostly just to keep myself from editing it to death!

I'd certainly be interested in seeing them. I really enjoyed learning from the first ones you did; I was looking for information about the book the other day. Is that still in the works, or ...?

PixelFish
05-23-2009, 01:54 PM
It's always fun to break out the traditional media. There's something satisfyingly tactile about it. (One of my favourites is tearing off the masking tape of watercolours to see the crisp edges.)

I dig the colours you used, although like StillCypher above, the edges seem a little quilted. Perhaps if you knew what colours you were planning on using, you could use ink in that colour, or outline using a dark watercolour green or blue. I think it would soften the effect a little. Still nice work, and it's always lovely to see people working in traditional media.

palehorse
05-23-2009, 07:07 PM
I'd certainly be interested in seeing them. I really enjoyed learning from the first ones you did; I was looking for information about the book the other day. Is that still in the works, or ...?

As soon as I figure that out I'll let you know! :lol: Seriously, though, after giving it more thought, I'd really prefer to do it as an instructional DVD rather than a book. After doing all those podcasts I came to realize how much easier it is to teach some of this stuff when you can show what you're doing and talk about it at the same time!

There's an art instructional series that I'm very fond of, The Structure of Man (http://the-structure-of-man.blogspot.com/), that started out as a free series of videos on YouTube. When he was done with them, he pulled them all down (well, sort of... they're all still up there, but it's just the first minute or so of each one, just enough to preview them) and bundled them together on DVD. So that's something I might look at doing. It's still very much up in the air, though.

It's always fun to break out the traditional media. There's something satisfyingly tactile about it. (One of my favourites is tearing off the masking tape of watercolours to see the crisp edges.)

As you can see from the making-of pictures over at my site, I'm obviously very lazy when it comes to that sort of thing! I just assumed I'd be cropping it down later in Photoshop anyway! :p

I dig the colours you used, although like StillCypher above, the edges seem a little quilted. Perhaps if you knew what colours you were planning on using, you could use ink in that colour, or outline using a dark watercolour green or blue. I think it would soften the effect a little. Still nice work, and it's always lovely to see people working in traditional media.

I was mostly just trying to cover up how crappily I'd blended the darker colored water around the coastline. I thought about adding in some woodcut style squiggle lines but I pretty quickly abandoned that idea as being too time consuming for this particular project. I'd do it by hand if someone were paying me to do it, but for something that was just going to get stuck into a file folder til I might have some use for it, quilty waves had to do. :lol: