PDA

View Full Version : May/June Light Entry: The Yawning Straight and Environs

Hai-Etlik
05-21-2009, 03:41 PM
My first serious original map. All done in Inkscape. And yes, it's meant to be just black and white.

The typeface is Junius-Unicode (Junicode)

Gandwarf
05-21-2009, 04:35 PM
I like it, have some rep!
I like the different symbols you used and the layout of the terrain.

Now, for some critique:

- The map is a bit crowded at the moment. There's a lot of symbols and lines and text. Sometimes less is better.
- The mountain ranges are thin, you might experiment with placing a few mountain symbols next to each other.

Anyway, it's really a cool map!

ravells
05-21-2009, 05:18 PM
I think it's terrific....must agree with Gand's comments though..but don't uncrowd it too much it's got a great look.

Steel General
05-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Quite nice!

Ascension
05-21-2009, 05:54 PM
For a light challenge it looks pretty darn sweet. As you progress, you might want to add more, and different, mountain shapes instead of just repeating a few, same for the trees. For now, though, this is very nice. Good job and do more :)

msa
05-22-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm with everyone else--very nice map, same critiques. My one original suggestion is you might try using a lighter shade of gray for some of the map features (not the font) and see how it looks. It might look extra crowded because it is such a bold dark color, and a little fade might give it a less crowded feel. (I may be totally wrong, fyi)

Wordman
05-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Making the font sizes of the text smaller, while spacing out the characters a bit, may help to reduce the "crowding".

Zar Peter
05-22-2009, 06:39 PM
I really like the look of the map. The main things which are in need of improvement are already mentioned.

The only thing I have is a spelling issue... you are writing mountians instead of mountains (That is if it isn't intentional and in the language of the mapmaker mountains are spelled that way ;))

Hai-Etlik
05-25-2009, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Here's a revised version.

I was aiming for an overall 'cluttered' look though I'll admit I may have gone overboard. I've given in and included some grey. I've also improved the mountains and increased the number of unique mountains from 7 to 12.

I've also started using the tweak tool a LOT.

msa
05-26-2009, 03:45 PM
I know I suggested going gray, but now that you've done it I don't feel like it made much difference. Sorry for the bad advice :( Perhaps another alternative is to go gray on the forests and black on the mountains. Having some color differential between the two might make it easier to separate them in the mind.

Also, have you considered adding a highlight around the text so it doesn't blend in with the underlying terrain? I have a text background in my 'golden sands' that is just a feathered white background behind the letters. I feel like it draws them out without increasing their size or coverage too much, and might look good here.

Hai-Etlik
05-27-2009, 07:22 AM
More spelling corrections, Switched most of the trees to conifers, added a slight white border around the text, ditched the grey, and added some distressing and a parchment background.

Used this parchment texture under the terms of CC-BY 3.0: http://djpstock.deviantart.com/art/Parchment-Texture-62391064\

I'm afraid this is a rather larger file than previous. Before I had been getting away with 16 colours this is 256. Still thankfully doesn't need truecolour.

Immolate
06-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Hai-Etlik, I like your map, but the trees seem a bit large in scale standing next to the mountains as they do. I don't know how much effort it would require, but perhaps you can scale them down a good bit and see how that looks.

JakeWoods
06-11-2009, 05:21 AM
Really hreat work. I like this alot. rep...

Redrobes
06-11-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm afraid this is a rather larger file than previous.If this is still all in inkscape then your probably best off exporting to a JPEG now that you have the distressing applied. If tweaked in GIMP then its best to keep it in its own file format or PNG but make a JPEG for uploading as an attachment. The distressing in PNG will make the file size go through the roof as its essentially noise. That makes the PNG compression very poor where JPEG being lossy will maintain a half decent file size at the expense of adjusting that noise into different lower memory pixels which will still look pretty noisy. If your clamping to 256 color then you might find that for a given amount of file size the non clamped lossy JPEG might look as good or better than a clamped but lossless PNG.