PDA

View Full Version : Youth Map Gallery\Competition Ideas

Sigurd
05-23-2009, 12:03 PM
This was brought up in another thread but I think the budding young artist deserves protection from thread jacking :).

The idea of a children's map challenge strikes me as a worthwhile event. It might be better done with a possible Email address - say 'youthmaps@cartographersguild.com' to work in conjunction with the normal forum entried. We could have a 2 month challenge with 'awards' every 2 weeks.

Adults might play a fairly large motivational\organizational role with something like this. They could enter them here or send them by email and we'd have a gallery everyone could view. Based on the entrees we could come up with categories - biggest world, most monsters, best colours etc.... Hopefully there would be a lot of good things we could say.

Assuming Arcana is hipped on the idea, it would be elegant if we could tie it to a day in the year... Ideas? and then give interested people a little warning. A lot of adults might want something to teach the children while they encourage them to map.

I have no idea how many children are within ear shot to participate. Anyone know?

guyanonymous
05-23-2009, 12:37 PM
And for bonus challenges...

A mouse's world in the walls of your house.
From my room to the hidden cookie jar.
Treasure.
Avoid the bullies! A map of your school.

Ascension
05-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we go.
Make a castle.
Map the neighborhood.

Lathorien
05-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Sounds good, i just asked my daughter (she is 11) and she has already been bugging me about my maps, and how i do it, so she is in.

guyanonymous
05-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Your room is the battlefield between toy soldiers....

Gamerprinter
05-23-2009, 04:21 PM
This was brought up in another thread but I think the budding young artist deserves protection from thread jacking :).

Yeah, I kind of thought of that, as I was jacking his thread! :P

Favorite fairy tale? Though I don't know if fairy tales are told to kids anymore - little red riding hood, 3 little bears, etc.

It all seems good though!

GP

PS: no kids myself, I've got nephews though! Got both of them to play with Campaign Cartographers and Fractal Mapper, and Dundjinni, so they know how to make maps too!

guyanonymous
05-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Kids still love 'em...

jaerdaph
05-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Excellent idea!

I have two nephews, ages 9 and 6, who might be very interested in this, with Uncle Jaerdaph's encouragement. :)

NeonKnight
05-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Sounds Good to Me!

ironmetal250
05-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Maybe have each kid make a 'Bridge to Terabithia' map of a fantasized world based on the surroundings of their house.

Greason Wolfe
05-25-2009, 01:29 AM
No children here either. Well, at least not anymore, but I think it is an absolutely wonderful idea. What better way to spur the imagination and creativity in the next generations? Something that has been missing, IMHO, for a long time. I'm all for it and would gladly help in whatever way I might be able to.

GW