PDA

View Full Version : More messin around

Ascension
05-23-2009, 09:33 PM
I was trying to implement the layered mountains technique, like Steel and Pasis do, into my atlas/satellite hybrid style and I think it came out pretty nice. I'd like to get some color tweaks and more contrast in before I call them done and I haven't put the rivers or labels in cuz I was just playin around again so I'll put them in over the next few days. I shrunk it down to half size to fit.

guyanonymous
05-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Ascension, that came out very nicely. I like the result quite a bit.

Steel General
05-23-2009, 11:27 PM
You're definitely on to something there my friend. :)

NeonKnight
05-24-2009, 02:24 AM
Beautiful map!

Gandwarf
05-24-2009, 05:58 AM
Yeah, good stuff.
Is it me or is the water too cloudy though?

Ascension
05-24-2009, 10:20 AM
I totally agree G and have been trying to work on a fix but haven't found the right note yet.

msa
05-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Is there a tutorial on the layered mountain technique? I'd love to know more.

Ascension
05-24-2009, 04:22 PM
MSA - Pasis and Steel General both have tuts on it while I'm still experimenting with incorporating that technique into what I do.

Here's where I'm at and I think I'm pretty happy with it. Put in the rivers and a large amount of tweaks to just about everything. I might go in and add some shading to bring out the terrain a bit more but I think I'm ready to start labeling this puppy...after some I get some food in my belly and maybe bash some monsters in "Sacred" (gotta step away from the map for a while and then come back and see what I think of it).

StillCypher
05-24-2009, 05:25 PM
I wish I was as good at "fooling around" as you are. Sheesh. :D

Once again, really nice work!

PixelFish
05-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Very nice. I like that you included your palette in the second one. (I know you won't include it for the final map, but I like seeing things like that for reference, and also because it reinforces a sense of unity in the map colours.)

One thing I'm wondering about--and this is because I grew up in the Southwest--is the transition between desert and forested areas. I see that you have a sort of mountain barrier on three sides to the northish, and that can certainly predicate a big climate change over a geographic area. But where I grew up, there's a bit of transitional terrain....mountains, scrubby sagebrush covered foothills, possibly some rockier areas, desert with plants, and then desert with dunes and no plants. You have a bit more down by the peninsula, but from the zoomed out, it looks like either lush lands or desert with little middle ground. Is that deliberate?

Otherwise I think is a very pretty terrain map, and I enjoy seeing the evolution of your work.

Ascension
05-24-2009, 07:25 PM
How's this look? I extended the scrub brush further out from the mtns and put some in along the rivers, then I added some more hills, a canyon, and some plateaus (that don't look all that good, might take those out).

Gandwarf
05-24-2009, 08:06 PM
I like it very much! There seems to be a lot of sattelite like maps up at the guild lately :)

I really like the canyon, but not sure if it's in a natural place. It's probably a dried up river, so I would expect it to be near mountains or a river.

Ascension
05-24-2009, 08:48 PM
There's a river running thru it, just can't really see it cuz of the shadowing. Anyways, more playin around, put in a volcano and swamp because every map needs these (kinda like freckles or moles). Gonna stop decorating now and start labeling.

PixelFish
05-24-2009, 10:22 PM
I think the transitions are a bit better now. Not so drastic.

Ascension
05-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Here's a full-size screenshot of what I have going on for labels. I'm not all that happy with the names so I'll probably change most of them with the help of squid.org. Fonts are Bolton Titling Bold and Fortunaschwein. Not that happy with Bolton either but I can't find a decent art nouveau font that is just a bit simpler and bolder than most of such style.

guyanonymous
05-26-2009, 01:24 AM
I like the major labels (countries?). They work with the texture of the map, and the way the emerge from the map itself is very effective.

philipstephen
05-26-2009, 03:26 AM
These are insanely gorgeous maps!

Please post a Tutorial if you are able to afterward.

It would be very appreciated.

Phil.

PixelFish
05-26-2009, 03:52 AM
Looking smooth. I like the font choices. Just worry about the legibility at the smallest size.

Steel General
05-26-2009, 07:29 AM
I think the large font's look fantastic, not a big fan of the city name font - just doesn't seem to 'fit' with the map. I know you had something particular in mind, but I think a font somewhat similar to the larger one would work better.

Just my silly, little opinion. :)

Ramah
05-26-2009, 07:51 AM
I agree with the general opinion that the country labels look great, especially how they are extruded from the land. Great effect.

The rest of the map looks great too although some of the rivers are very faint, but I guess this is what you wanted.

megrim
05-26-2009, 01:20 PM
envy, envy, envy, envy!!! great map could not expect any less from a community leader, i am in love with this map!

torstan
05-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Love the text style. Very nice indeed, and is that top-left lighting I see? How the mighty are fallen...

Great colour scheme and some truly lovely mountains.

Ascension
05-28-2009, 02:04 AM
T -- sometimes it's ok to go along with the conventions but the man will never hold me back, he may take my life but he'll never take my sun position! :) At least it'll keep me from hearing a bunch of posts about things looking down instead of up.

I had switched my main nation font from Bolton to Lightfoot but with RedEpic's use of it I switched it again so as not to look like a copycat (love that font tho so maybe next time). It's now Folkard (a similar one is called The Longest Journey). It's not properly kerned so I had to fix that manually but it looks like I forgot a spot...if you look at Bhyllith you'll see a big space between the i and the t. I took out a bunch of town labels cuz I didn't want to over clutter it. I made the fonts quite big cuz I was thinking that I'd shrink the map down 50%. If this full size one looks ok at a reduced quality then I'll stay at this size and go back and shrink down the fonts. Then I can put in labels for other things like mtns, valleys, lakes, etc. I won't label all of the rivers cuz there are a ton of em and that'd kill my map.

Ramah
05-28-2009, 09:21 AM
This looks realy great. I'd say this is my favourite out of all your maps. I love the style and the palette. Great stuff.

Steel General
05-28-2009, 11:10 AM
More great stuff Oh Ascendant One!

But what are those weird colored blobs at the top? Giant colored icebergs? (j/k) :D

costumbres
05-29-2009, 12:20 PM
I agree with the over all comments of it being beautifully crafted!
I especially like the rivers, the fact that they look like part of the lad mass and not something that's laying over it.
The texture is great, it reminds me of the old school maps that are "in relief", actual 3D model of the maps of counties. I'll post an image of what I'm trying describe but not making a very good job of it. It
I tip my hat to you!

Monique

Ascension
05-31-2009, 01:36 AM
I think this one is done. If anyone sees something let me know.

Gandwarf
05-31-2009, 07:04 AM
Nope, no comments. Stunning work!
Your cartouche (as I think it's called) is especially beautiful. And I like the special features on the map, like the canyon and the vulcano.

Ascension
06-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Here's an unlabeled version for anyone who wants to use it for a personal game.

StillCypher
06-09-2009, 10:18 PM
That is another spectacular map from you! So very beautiful. Wow. And I can't even give you any rep :(

Alfar
06-10-2009, 05:37 AM
Very very beautiful map, Ascension. Great work!

A tiny nit to pick would be the rivers - I know you draw them in by hand, and they look very nice overall, but every now and then there's something slightly odd.

Around Fellway, for example, one of the inbound rivers is almost parallel with the outbound stream, and quite close to it. I don't see any obvious slope between the two, so I'm getting some kind of conflicting height information there. Also, the number of inbound rivers would suggest a larger outbound river, I guess...

I tried to show it on a cutout of the map, not sure if my description makes sense.

(Edit): Of course, now that I look at the scale, the two rivers are 300 miles or so apart, so it might not be a problem at all.

(Edit again): The more I think about it, the more I regret writing this post. Looking at the unlabeled version, the outbound river is even further away, and not as parallel as I had interpreted it originally.

I pondered deleting it, but I guess it'll serve as an example of what happens when a newb tries to get too clever for his own good. Heh.

Ascension
06-10-2009, 09:14 AM
No worries at all mate, I do things like that myself all of the time :) Besides, you guys gotta keep me in check from time to time so that I don't get a big head ;) I'll take a look at it and see what I think this evening.

Avulsion
08-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Hey Ascension I've fallen in love with this map! You mentioned in the Finished Map thread "Artheane" that you would post a label-free version in this thread if someone inquired. Soooo could you post one for me please?! :D :D :D :D

Ascension
08-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks, it's one of my favorites, too. :) Here's an unlabeled version, no countries or towns either - just terrain. I would ask that you use it only for personal use...don't want someone putting their own stuff on it and posting it up somewhere saying that they made it. I can't really stop it but I can ask.

Avulsion
08-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks man! It's for a homebrew (with the help of cartographer's guild pros) D&D campaign, to be played only within my own family.

Haha... I was literally refreshing your profile watching your Current Activity as you saw this thread, managed attachments, and viewed attachments... I guess that counts as stalking... (^.^) Thanks for the quick reply!!!!!!

Ascension
08-18-2010, 12:26 AM
I get that all the time, I have to beat them off with a stick. Crazy dancing girls can't get enough of my, uh, personality - yeah that's it. :)

tilt
08-18-2010, 09:23 AM
hmmm.. where did I put that head-deflator *lol*

Avulsion
08-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Here's my butchered version of your map, Ascension:

I gave you credit at the bottom left corner.

Ascension
08-20-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm very glad that you used the same font, looks like home to me so that means nice job.