PDA

View Full Version : First Map

arcanus
05-27-2009, 08:34 AM
After several games bit the dust soon after starting I decided to take the bull by the horns and DM my own. Not being one to do things by halves I decided to create a map after having viewed some tremendous work here and elsewhere. Here is my WIP although location names and text styles are likely to change. The map is set to be used with D&D 4e with the Nentir Vale (as per the DMG) being the start point. It was created in Photoshop CS.

Any and all critique is welcome as I'm new to this and looking to improve my skills. Thanks all :D

http://www.ivy-cottage.net/games/kobold/arcanus.jpg

Feralspirit
05-27-2009, 09:02 AM
An impessive first map. Obviously you are no stranger to this craft. Welcome to The Guild, and for posting a map with your first post, consider yourself repped. The map is rep-worthy by itself, what software did you use?

I have spotted a few river errors. Can you still adjust the rivers?

Ascension
05-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Quite effective and nice, good colors as well.

Gandwarf
05-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Nice map, have some rep.
Do you have a larger version or is this it? Some of the details are hard to see.

Steel General
05-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Good stuff... I'll echo Gandwarf in hoping for a larger/higher resolution version.

arcanus
05-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks all :) As regards size this is half size to keep the filesize down I'll post a link to the full size one soon

Steel General
05-27-2009, 11:57 AM
You can probably post the full-size version - depending on pixel count and file size.

The boards will handle up to around a 4.5MB png or a pixel depth of around 33million

torstan
05-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Very pretty indeed. Welcome.

arcanus
05-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Ok this one should show the details better.

landorl
05-27-2009, 01:16 PM
I would love to see a larger version also, but great map!

The only comment is that the light blue around the Sea of Storms jumps out at me just a little too much. It is just a little too strong of a contrast.

I would hate to visit that larger continent though, between the "Cursed Lands", "The Dead Lands", and "The Darklands", it doesn't sound all that hospitable!

Steel General
05-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Much better, but you don't have to paste it directly into the post. You can actually add it as an attachment under the 'Advanced' settings (I went ahead and did this for you). That way it uses the built-in previewer of the board software.

Ramah
05-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Lovely map and a terrific style.

I'm not struck on your font choice though for the large labels, it looks a little too comic strip to really fit in in my opinion.
As Feralspirit said too, you seem to have quite a few river problems in there.

arcanus
05-27-2009, 03:09 PM
...snip The map is rep-worthy by itself, what software did you use?

I have spotted a few river errors. Can you still adjust the rivers?

Software is Photoshop CS.

Re the rivers - Oh yes! If there's one thing I've learnt with PS is bung everything on a seperate layer if you can ;)

Plenty of tweaking left to do but thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad I found this site :D

Thanks Steel General for sorting the attachment out too.

Gandwarf
05-27-2009, 03:36 PM
I would hate to visit that larger continent though, between the "Cursed Lands", "The Dead Lands", and "The Darklands", it doesn't sound all that hospitable!

Imagine having to work for their tourist agency *shudders*
Anyway, thanks for the larger version. Very nice map, it has a nice fantasy feel to it.

pickaboo
05-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Nice map :) I would think that the nice humans are not the largest population group in this realm :D I can imagine that there be cities of dragonborn and undead etc as the names for regions suggest. I get immediate campaign hooks and ideas of that place, great inspirational and artistic value for me personally :)

arcanus
05-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Nice map :) I would think that the nice humans are not the largest population group in this realm :D I can imagine that there be cities of dragonborn and undead etc as the names for regions suggest. I get immediate campaign hooks and ideas of that place, great inspirational and artistic value for me personally :)

Thanks for those kind words. My brain is buzzing with all kinds of ideas that I want to include but I'm conscious of the fact that I'm spending too much time on the map at this early stage of the campaign. We only started a few weeks ago with level 1 chars. What I intend to do is develop the map along with the storyline so that will hopefully give me the luxury of planning ahead. However, saying that if I can have 'placeholders' already there in front of me I hope that will make things that bit easier when it comes to developing that particular area, both pictorally and in the plot.

This is a first for me, not just the cartography but being a DM. Heck I only started playing the D&D RPG (that includes any version but I'm playing 4e) last November and haven't played a character past level 1 in any campaign yet, because the games fold for various reasons :( That's why I decided to have a go myself but I never realised both what fun it is and how much of a time sink it can be - if you let it :D

Just to clarify my opening post, this is my first *world* map. I have created several dungeon and outdoor encounter maps before (I have just posted one for the first level of the keep from Keep on the Shadowfell in the dungeons section) so this I am finding both exciting and a challenge.

Feralspirit
05-27-2009, 10:06 PM
The rivers are the only thing I would change, it is otherwise (IMO) a beautiful map. (Edit- Ok, I'm not so fond of your political borders either, and there aren't any cities...)

A River will not naturally split into two smaller rivers that then both run to sea. You seem to have several that do just that. For example, look at the river near the last 't' in Giant Summit. The worst offender, of course, is NE of Dragon Mountains. The one in T'aleth is pretty bad. Nentir Vale River is perfect (assuming the forest is obscuring its last jaunt to the sea). Ok, there's my .02. Cheers. :)