PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon 166 Map Gallery up

torstan
05-27-2009, 04:35 PM
New maps from this month's Dungeon:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4map/20090527

I don't like the new direction of using map tiles to create published maps. Map tiles are inherently restrictive whereas magazine maps should have no restrictions at all. It's a shame. The other maps are rather nice though.

jfrazierjr
05-27-2009, 04:45 PM
New maps from this month's Dungeon:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4map/20090527

I don't like the new direction of using map tiles to create published maps. Map tiles are inherently restrictive whereas magazine maps should have no restrictions at all. It's a shame. The other maps are rather nice though.

I don't like it either, but it does make (at least from a quick glance) business sense. 1) they don't have to pay an artist for each map needed for an adventure 2) the adventure author does not have to do any back and forth changes with the author which takes up valuable time 3) it pushes the sales of their products. 4) if you are the GM and already have the tiles, no money or time spent printing out the maps to be used on a battlemap.

On the down side, these map tiles are like collectible cards in that they are only available for 6-9-12 months or so and then are out of print. At this point, if you get the adventure and don't have the tiles you need you are screwed.... Secondly, they are really horrifically tiled at the seams, it just looks cheesy.

NeonKnight
05-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Hmmmmmmmm....links all broken for me :(

torstan
05-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Still works fine for me under firefox. Not sure what the issue might be there. Not subscribed, so it's not that.

NeonKnight
05-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Yeah working now.

Tried FIREFOX....Nothing, then EXPLORER, worked, FIREFOX AGAIN, nothing, and finally, just now and there they are.

Huh!

Notsonoble
05-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Gah, those look pretty bad, jfrazierjr has some points, but I've seen lots cleaner arrangements made with the tiles by friends... this is just... lazy.

CBDroege
05-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Just a bunch of red X's for me :/

Immolate
05-30-2009, 11:30 AM
I can't see them either, even when I click on the individual links.

torstan
05-30-2009, 12:07 PM
That's really strange. I can still see them fine using firefox and XP. I can't think what the problem would be.

CBDroege
05-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Hey! It's working now.

If I subscribed to their magazine, would I get copies of their maps that aren't marked with numbers and letters?

NeonKnight
05-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Hey! It's working now.

If I subscribed to their magazine, would I get copies of their maps that aren't marked with numbers and letters?

No.

The maps are dungeon maps, and the Letters depict the Monster. For instance in this map:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/DungeonMap_166/2.jpg

If I were writing the adventure I would say the C was a Carrion Crawler, the S were Shambling Mounds, and the G was a Gelatinous Cube. I don;t know if that is what they actually are, but you get the idea.

torstan
05-30-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't think so. They did have some examples in previous map galleries for Duneon where they provided both the labelled and unlabelled versions. I don't think it's tied to the subscription.

CBDroege
05-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Hmm... I mean, these are pretty useless with the labels on them... For my purposes anyway.