PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Basics

RPMiller
05-19-2007, 05:34 PM
This is an online course that takes you through the basics of using PhotoShop. The pages are very 'busy'. Meaning there are a lot of links and text, so you may need to take a moment to get comfortable with layout.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/l/bllps5out.htm

kalmarjan
06-12-2007, 10:56 PM
RPMiller, in another thread you asked for a list of tutorials that would strengthen your Photoshop skills. I highly recommend the tutorials by Deke McClelland at lynda.com.

While the tutorials are not free, there is the option to subscribe to the site to get the tutorials on a monthly basis. I pay 25$ per month to access the tutorials. A very good value in my books. I could not recommend them more.

In particular, the best series is here:

https://movielibrary.lynda.com/authors/author/?aid=98

Second best is the videos here:

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modListing.asp?pid=183

Hope that helps,

Sandeman

RPMiller
06-13-2007, 02:08 AM
Indeed! Thank you very much.

RPMiller
12-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Sandeman, I wanted to say that I took your advice and I got the Layers and Masks training from Deke. That man is AWESOME!!! I learned so much I'm still trying to get it all figured out. I love his training style and his vast knowledge seems to have no end. Thank you again for the recommendation and I'm definitely going to get more of his stuff.

Oh, and have some rep! :D

GlennZilla
12-20-2007, 10:36 AM
I got my Photoshop instruction in school, however I learned more from the free (ad supported) tutorials available at www.tutorialized.com (http://www.tutorialized.com/). If you see a specific trick and want to figure out how to do it, odds are that it's detailled there.

RPMiller
12-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Yea, I got all my basic instruction in school as well. I then learned a ton over the years from tutorials and others that used PhotoShop semi professionally. The biggest problem I face is that I don't use it constantly and the basic instruction I took was rocky at best so I've been having to shore up my foundational understanding quite a bit while trying to learn more advanced stuff.

GlennZilla
12-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Well, I like to think I have a pretty fair handle on it. So if anyone wants me to write a tutorial for something specific, feel free to drop me a line.

I have been tinkering with a list to cover some of the topics I see mentioned here. But working on my own projects as well as other less enjoyable responsibilities has but me in a time crunch.

Plus I don't know if anyone wants to hear my rants about how I make selections (usally Color Range and Marquee tools, not the wand) or the "Non-Destructive Editing" rant.

RPMiller
12-20-2007, 03:37 PM
The Channels and Masks training I mentioned above taught me all about selecting using channels and doing non-destructive editing. If you can relay that information, I definitely think you should. I'm amazed that I ever got by without knowing how to do that stuff.

I especially enjoyed learning how the various selection tools really work and which ones are best for different scenarios. Awesome stuff. Just that training video alone was enough to make me feel more confident and more like an intermediate to advanced user. So again, please feel free to create a new thread and rant away.

pyrandon
12-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Ummm, GlennZilla---if you're offering, I for one would love to see you do tutorials on anything and everything PS related. I'm totally self-taught (usually by trial & error), so anything you'd like to do would be much appreciated.

I'm with RP that Channels would be cool to know (masks I have a decent handle on, but still...). I do almost nothing with them. I also almost never use the pen/paths options, so if you could show that it would be cool too.

If you do decide to make tutorials (please please please), then it would be great to see it used on a map, of course, so we can see the application in action as users of this site would most likely find important and applicable. Just an idea. :)

GlennZilla
12-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Well, the channels will require a little research. I don't mess with them as much as I could for our applications here. But I'll work up a few posts on The pen tool/paths you mention as well as Masks and Non-Destructive Editing which I think would be helpful.

But I have to get through the holidays with my 20 month old daughter first.

kalmarjan
02-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Sorry, I did not see this post for a long time. (My son, takes up a lot of time.)

Probably the best advice I got from Deke about channels is the dreaded calculations command. Now, a lot of people see it up in the images drop down and wonder what the heck it is.

Well, if you take an image that has high contrast in two of the color channels, but cannot really choose one that is greater, a good technique is to copy both, then use the calculation command to "combine" the two. Usually, if you play around with the settings in the command, you can get something that has a lot of contrast so you can then take it to your curves dialogue.

It is at that point where you really get the great selections. See, without that command, the channels panel would only really be useful half of the time.

I may get some time here in the next week or two to get something going to demonstrate the command to you all, if there is interest. ;)

Sandeman

pyrandon
02-14-2008, 11:58 PM
HUGE interest, kalmarjan. Tremendous interest!

su_liam
02-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Okay, I was just playing with Calculations for the first time, having read kalmarjan's post. And I mean playing, nothing the least bit serious. All I can say is, "OH Yeah! I'm interested.

ravells
02-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Yes please!!!

delgondahntelius
02-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Oh ya... I'm most definitely interested in that and anything else PS related :)

kalmarjan
02-21-2008, 07:30 AM
Okay, I have some real life issues to sort through here, but I will try to come up with something over the next while to demonstrate this lovely feature. ;)

Sandeman

Carnifex
02-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Here's the (well hidden?) video workshop at Adobes site:
http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/

Worth a visit!

pyrandon
02-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Here's the (well hidden?) video workshop at Adobes site:
http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/

Worth a visit!

Umm....YEAH!!! Ok, PS mappers (or anyone else)--check out the video tutorial on "zoomify" and tell me you don't see the mapping possibilities here! Flash could do it before (or similar), but this seems to me a really intriguing idea: draw a large file at high res, with such detail one could zoom in, etc.

Great find, Carnifex! Thank you!

Carnifex
02-28-2008, 05:04 AM
Umm....YEAH!!! Ok, PS mappers (or anyone else)--check out the video tutorial on "zoomify" and tell me you don't see the mapping possibilities here! Flash could do it before (or similar), but this seems to me a really intriguing idea: draw a large file at high res, with such detail one could zoom in, etc.

Great find, Carnifex! Thank you!

Hey... very nice use of zoomify. Never thought of that!

kalmarjan
03-19-2008, 01:12 AM
The information is good, but presented in a comedic fashion:

http://laughingsquid.com/you-suck-at-photoshop-by-donnie-hoyle/

Enjoy!

Sandeman

Carnifex
03-25-2008, 10:00 AM
The information is good, but presented in a comedic fashion:

http://laughingsquid.com/you-suck-at-photoshop-by-donnie-hoyle/

Enjoy!

Sandeman

LOL hilarious...

ravells
03-25-2008, 10:15 AM
I loved the one in which he edits out the wedding band. Great find!

Dracorat
05-06-2008, 03:48 PM
RPMiller has asked I add this info that I posted in a different forum, to this one, so here goes...

So, you opened the program and want to open up a document? Still going to FILE - OPEN? Stop that! Double click the gray space. Need a new document instead? Hold CTRL while you double click.
Working with an image and you dragged the bounds larger than the image, exposing gray area around that image? You can recolor it with the FILL tool (the bucket) by holding shift down. (Great when you're a Web Programmer making images for an off-color background...)
Little screen and too many windows, but you use them a lot? Try using the TAB key. For the really adventurous, try the F key too.
Brought up a filter, fiddled around with settings and then realized the defaults would serve you better, but now the defaults are your tweaked but not helpful settings? Hold the ALT and click the CANCEL button on the window.
Need to make a pixel-precise selection? Try hitting the CAPSLOCK button.
See the arrows between the foreground color and the background color? "X" is the shortcut key for pressing that. (Handy when you have the interface turned off)
Using the paint brush and need to move something over a bit? No matter what your tool is, the CTRL key will always make the current tool become the manipulation arrow.
Still using that brush and want 50% opacity? Type the number "5". 60%? Type "6" - if you want two digit opacity, type both numbers quickly. (Type 0 for 100%)
Trying to make a straight line? Click on the beginning once (creates a dot on the page) then move to the end point, hold the SHIFT and click there. Straight lines!!
Zoomed in and need to pan around? Try the SPACEBAR!!
Photoshop can do polar arrays, but few people know how. - Create what is to be arrayed on one layer. Press CTRL ALT T to duplicate the layer and start a free transform at the same time. Use ALT to drag the center point to the proper center point (the circle that the layer rotates around) then type in the angle box the proper degrees of rotation for one piece. (If you wanted to polar array for 8 objects, 360/8=45 degrees for example) then confirm the rotation (with the checkbox) After confirmation, press CTRL ALT SHIFT T to do it again and again until your polar array is complete. Hold it down if you are doing a lot of objects (like 1 degree increments).
When typing with the type tool, you can end the typing by using the numpad enter key.
Want to move something but not sure you're on the correct layer? Right click that object while pointing at it with the pointer tool then choose the layer you want. Sure you're pointing at the right object but not sure you're on the right layer (or know for certain you're not?) just hold CTRL - the first object under the cursor will be moved instead of the current layer.
Not sure which option you need in a drop down list? Click directly inside the list drop down (if it opens the drop down, click again to close the drop down) and then use the UP and DOWN arrows on your keyboard.
When you move one layer do you want another to move with it? Link them by holding SHIFT and clicking the other layer in the layer pallette. Need a bunch of layers to be associated? Create a folder, then select the folder directly when moving stuff around.

RPMiller
05-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Thank you sir! REPPED!

ravells
05-07-2008, 05:16 AM
Fabulous! Thank you very much!!!

Dracorat
05-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Yvw! . . . .

JFJohnny5
05-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Zoomed in and need to pan around? Try the SPACEBAR!!

Ahh. The best Photoshop quick tip in existence. Whenever I'm introducing new users to the software, this is always the first tip I give them. Good stuff!!

delgondahntelius
09-02-2008, 04:35 PM
found this one on photoshop
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=14&t=247294

forgive me if its already been posted

ambessalion
02-26-2009, 03:14 PM
I learned through lynda.com $25 a month but well worth it

ravells
02-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Here is another good tip:

Want to merge a number of layers into a single layer while keeping your original layers?

Hold down the ALT key and go to layers / merge visible. It will create a merged layer on top of your existing layers.

Are you an octopus? You can get the same result by using keystrokes only by pressing (at the same time):

Cntrl+Shift+Alt+Right Cntrl+E

Steel General
02-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Just seeing that key combination makes my fingers hurt. :)

mallachain
05-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Here is another excellent video tutorial site: http://revision3.com/pixelperfect/

It's hosted by Bert Monroy, and he posts a new tutorial every monday morning.

RPMiller
05-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Thank you mallachain for the link! And welcome to the Guild! Make sure to post an introduction in the introduction forum. I'll even give you some rep for the helpful link. Get you a solid start. ;)

ravells
05-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the link from me too! I'll have to check out the vids when I get home, but the tutorials look good from the titles!

Doc_Waldo
12-17-2010, 01:17 PM
I understand this thread has not been added to for some time; however, I figure my questions fits into the theme of the post. I am looking for a dungeon creation tutorial using photoshop. Something showing how to use inner and outer glows, lighting effects, ect. I am looking at the other tutorials, but over the holidays I would really enjoy learning more about utilizing photoshop for creating dungeons. Thanks.

mytheory
12-20-2010, 05:19 AM
thanks for anyone who posted links related to basic photoshop tutorials. I want to learn photoshop and this thread is so helpful. Thanks guys

jejo
01-15-2011, 02:25 AM
hello,thanks for the ad...

ravells
01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
39 Photoshop tips here (http://www.mccannas.com/pshop/photosh0.htm)

peanut
02-13-2012, 09:25 AM
What type of tablet interface do you use? Is there a cost-effective one that does not cost $300 but has similar functionality?

Lukc
02-13-2012, 10:10 AM
You can get a slightly older, used Wacom tablet ... it should see you thru quite well.

Of course, the Cintiq is the one to dream for ;)

Mixail
03-25-2012, 04:42 AM
I think they're fantastic.

Man from another time
06-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Hello everyone, new member here. Let me recommend a site where I learned basics of PS, for free

http://wegraphics.net/tag/photoshop-beginners/

Basically, once you're done with all of the six exercises, you will be able to follow any tutorial whatsoever. You start of course, with the pen tool, the oldest entry, and proceed going through the layer masks, which are really basics of the basics.

Cheers.

Gidde
06-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Welcome to the Guild and thanks for the info!

Ajincess
08-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Some of the best PS tutorials that I have found, along with great links to free textures and design news is Abduzeedo.com.

Xanthemann
08-19-2012, 01:55 AM
At the point I am at, any help is good help. Thank you!

ZombieButch
05-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Here is another good tip:

Want to merge a number of layers into a single layer while keeping your original layers?

Hold down the ALT key and go to layers / merge visible. It will create a merged layer on top of your existing layers.

Are you an octopus? You can get the same result by using keystrokes only by pressing (at the same time):

Cntrl+Shift+Alt+Right Cntrl+E

Just Ctrl + Alt + Shift + E actually! You don't need to hit both Ctrl buttons. The command is called 'Stamp Visible'. :)

DarkHerald
06-16-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks very much!