PDA

View Full Version : Can't post images thru Attachment Manager

Gamerprinter
05-28-2009, 05:18 PM
I've tried all day to upload files through the Attachment Manager and it fails. Don't know if this is due to change done to the Manager, or if its been hacked, but whenever I try to upload an image file, or post a link from another site throught the Attachment Manager, at the completion, a COLON is added at the end of the file and I get an error. "File is not an image" - looks like "dragon-club.jpg:" What's the problem and can it be fixed soon?

I am pretty sure the problem isn't on my end.

GP

Gandwarf
05-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Testing, 1, 2, 3...

Gandwarf
05-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Looks like you have been hacked Gamperpinter ;)

Gamerprinter
05-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Looks like you have been hacked Gamperpinter ;)

That makes no sense. My PC isn't online all the time. And the Attachment Manager is the only thing affected. Whether its a file from my PC, or from an online source, everytime I hit submit, a colon is added to the end of the file. And I mean I have no such problem with anything else I post elsewhere.

That's crazy. And if it is on my end, I have no idea how to solve the problem.

GP

Redrobes
05-28-2009, 05:41 PM
I'll check too...

I think thats worked... 1..2..3..

Edit - Yup.

If I were you id clear the cache and cookies and restart browser and try again.

Gamerprinter
05-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Dumped my cache and cookies, restarted computer then browser. Problem is still there, and it only occurs, when I click the upload button.

I could have picked something up from one of my publisher forum sites, that's my only guess.

Don't know what to do?

GP

Redrobes
05-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Another vague thought. If you go to your "User CP" and look at attachments at bottom and click there does it come up with a nice round number for the total file size for all attachments ?

msa
05-28-2009, 06:13 PM
I could have picked something up from one of my publisher forum sites, that's my only guess.

I would be surprised if this was a symptom of being hacked.

Does anyone know if the attachment manager uses the colon for any kind of internal code logic? Like, say, to distinguish between multiple attachments?

Gamerprinter
05-28-2009, 06:13 PM
It tells me I have 408.58 MB in 641 uploaded attachments.. not sure if that's a problem - I am no programmer, so its means nothing to me.

GP

Redrobes
05-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Well that doesnt sound like the sort of number Arcana might have put in as a limit.... dunno really. Id wheel out Wireshark at this point but thats a pretty over the top tool if your not familiar with raw networking bytes tho.

msa
05-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Did you try with a few different files, out of curiosity?

Also, does the offending colon show up in the dialog box, or do you get an error message after the fact that says something like:

xxx.jpg: File is not an image

I meant to add: this error message can apparently occur if there is a mismatch between the vbulletin max upload size and the apache/web server max upload size. That would only occur if your image fell in what I guess is a fairly small range close to the max upload size (if there even is a mismatch). So if you cannot upload a much smaller image then this isn't the problem.

Gamerprinter
05-28-2009, 07:39 PM
I figured it out, it was a problem with the file. I resaved the original and somehow it didn't compress like it did before and it was too big to upload. I got the same file to upload, once I fixed the problem.

Whew! I feared something more serious.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

EDIT: you can delete this thread if you want, CLs, anyone?

GP

msa
05-28-2009, 07:42 PM
I figured it out, it was a problem with the file.

It didn't really help that the error message was completely useless. I'd think vBulletin has been around long enough that they might have added a 'file too big' message to replace it. LOL!

Redrobes
05-28-2009, 08:16 PM
EDIT: you can delete this thread if you want, CLs, anyone?Prob worth keeping around in case anyone else gets hit with the same issue. I did a search on vBulletin and colon and did not come up with anything - lets let google do something useful with it.

Arcana
05-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Thats very odd...I'll check the vbulletin support guys and see if they have anything to say...sorry it took me so long to get to. Divorce crap has me messed up this week lol.

Redrobes
05-29-2009, 12:05 PM
GP had it sorted now despite the way my last post reads. He has hit a 2Mb file limit and the error string was blank for some reason. Theres no big deal show stopper to fix.

Immolate
05-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Ahh... so the colon was supposed to be ": <error description here>" but because there was no error text definied, it just wound up being ":"?

Makes sense.

Feralspirit
05-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Out of curiousity, Arcana (or anyone 'in the know'), what is the upper limit for this;

Attachment Statistics
You are currently using 56.93 MB to store 32 uploaded attachments.

Another question; On a couple of attachments, I tried to upload a file that exceeded the size limit, and somehow the file size became less than a Mb. How does that happen?

msa
05-31-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm glad my suggestion was right. As a tech geek, I find that googling:

+app_name "error message"

Will solve 95% of problems. In this case, the following string brought me to the solution I suggested:

+vbulletin "File is not an image"

I was mulling over the unhelpful error message, and my theory may help you feral. I believe that appache (or whatever web server hosts this site) was truncating uploads to ~2MB. This causes them to appear to be invalid jpegs, hence the error message. So if you have a lot of incomplete files that are around that limit, it could be the problem.

I might be wrong about the limit, though, redrobes can probably give more info on that.

Feralspirit
05-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Oops, sorry you misunderstood, msa. I never recieved an error message. My questions were more about the attachment manager itself than the thread topic.

Your comment
I believe that appache (or whatever web server hosts this site) was truncating uploads to ~2MB. may explain the adjustments to file size, but if I upload a file that is 4.5MB, it remains unchanged. (Whereas if I try to upload a 5.5MB file, it is altered to about 800KB.) Just a technical question that I thought if I knew the answer as to why, when, and how it happens I might be able to take advantage of.

Arcana
06-01-2009, 08:58 AM
the file size limits are listed in the attachment manager but I'm currently not limiting user upload limits. No one here should be running out of file attachment space. I think I may have personal gallery limits on though. We're doing absolutely fine on storage space here though, so no worries there.