PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying in the CWBP.

Redrobes
05-28-2009, 08:47 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I had a convo with Ravs a few days back and we got excited about the prospect that we might actually play some RPG in the CWBP. The idea was to use the forums to post updates for the characters and basically run a play by mail system.

So this thread is to talk about that, what we need to do it, ideas about how we might actually go about it and whatever else comes up.

I have been thinking it over and I reckon that we have some amazing potential to do not just a great PbP system but to really take it forward and make this a very strong way of playing casually / non real time.

Firstly, we have a wealth of great mappers and alongside we have a whole forum of creative writers in the Fantaseum Alliance. All I think were missing is some mechanics to actually run the game and were away. Thats something that I can help out with in a number of ways.

Already I have been collecting the maps up and generating the overview of the world / Ansium and I have been writing a web server to enable anyone to fetch any part of the world for their campaign or VTT backdrop.

Beyond this I have the members map. If that map were Ansium or another region then we could plot the pin location of any party running in the world. Instead of adding a new member we could use a password system to move the pin to a new location as and when required. The pins could link into the wiki for the party and links in there could go to the character stats.

Ok so on to actual play. This is where I have been having some ideas and since I have never played a PbP system then I am interested in experiences of those that have. When sat around a table with a GM the play is very interactive so your constantly dealing with actions in the now. With a PbP system it seems to me that there would be either a huge latency playing in the now or else you have to expand the now into a bigger period of time. What I was considering was that if the characters have a list of future aims or a will list then the GM could consider them all and decide on the players behalf what they did based on their desired list. I thought too that each item on the list should have a determination factor too from a 'dont care' through 'make a reasonable attempt at' going up to 'fanatical devotion to'. These aims would be listed and maintained for very near events, not too distant stuff and beyond right up to life time achievements.

So for example say party is at a stuck dungeon door, character Able the Fighter says I want to open this door and I am pretty determined to do it. Thiera the Thief says she would like to listen if possible but is not too fussed if not and is not bothered whether she goes through this door or the next. Clarence the Cleric has been told that there is a feeling of ill will from the door and is adamant that he does not want to open it. Willy the Wizard states that if Thiera hears movement then not to go in but if Able bashes the door then to ready a spell and prepare to go in. Either way not fussed.

Ok so what can happen. The possibilities are numerous. GM might say Thiera cant hear over the noise and Ables attempt to bash it in. Then again she might. Able could succeed or fail to bash the door. Clarence might try to prevent Able from doing it or they could talk it over and decide either for or against it and go with a plan. This is where I think the GM should have some lattitude to make a call based on the preferences instead of endless PbP rounds of "Ok so whats it to be ?" chit chat. Would it be that bad for the GM to make the call given that he knows all the intentions ? Does PbP just normally get real slow or is some degree of control wrested from the players in order to get some momentum. As a player I would not like a list of options to choose from tho as that seems to go past the constructive role playing thing.

I was also thinking of dividing the now and past into historical fact that cannot be changed and close to the present history that is somewhat mutable where players can retroactively adjust what they were doing so long as it would have been reasonable before knowing the current present knowledge. So Thiera was not allowed to listen, Able smashes the door in, Clarence moves away from the door and the front three see a pair of gnolls. GM says that Willy gets out spell components for a Sleep. Now back to the players and Willy might say that he would have gone with a Magic Missile instead. That seems reasonable so its no problem to allow it. But Able cant say, no I think ill leave the door alone or even complain that he would have let Thiera listen because he was determined to open it.

Anyway, I was thinking that it would be possible to write a little script thing to maintain the intention list and current state of fixed, mutable history, and current situation text and a) FTP it to a web page b) keep a log of it and also c) perhaps use the Twitter API to send all three out for people to keep track on and maybe make interim responses on. The fixed history log could be posted to the wiki now and again to keep it moderately up to date.

The map server is the perfect way to get at all the world maps, a wiki is the perfect way to hold the knowledge of the world and Twitter is the ideal broadcast medium to get the updates out to peoples email, phone and so on. I dont think we have ever been so pampered with great technology to do this.

Ideas about any of this ?

Feralspirit
05-31-2009, 01:22 AM
This is an interesting idea, I would probably be very interested in watching (or reading) adventures unfold. I probably would not participate myself, for a few reasons. First, I only referee in my own lands , for familiarity sake(counting me out as a ref). Second, I'm stretched pretty thin between RL, trying to map out new lands, and the two online games I currently participate in (one of these, however, is sinking fast). I would like to see it happen without volunteering to be among the first group, just in case time to participate becomes available to me in the future. The resources of the guild would be a great asset to an online RPG, but I wouldn't want the site to become inundated with people who weren't here to map. (Does that sound bad?)

Redrobes
05-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Yes that is a concern I would share too. One of the things that has happened with the CWBP is that there is very little activity of mapping within it. I think that having an evolving story within places in it would give some more incentive to map those areas. I reckon the biggest incentive to map something tho is when you need it to play in that area. So I think its a double edged sword. You would get a lot of non mappers waiting for new maps to be made by others which is not really very constructive but I think you would get a lot of mapping done at character level which is where its needed the most. Ok so we might not expect that all the maps would look great but I think even if we had rough pencil maps of houses, cave systems and so on then it could be used as a template to make that into a better map.

I think the wikipedia is a good example. Almost all of the people who edit it have no interest in making encyclopedias and only the tiniest fraction of people who look at it would want to contribute to it and also of all the contributions, most are pretty bad to start with and get refined progressively. But its still a great success despite it all.

I guess it depends on what each sees the target of the CWBP to be. For me, I would like to see it as a complete living world where its constantly being added to, updated and used.

I reckon if it were played in then I would hope that many non participants would follow some of the groups within it too.

Heres a question to throw out there... is anyone currently using the CWBP as a campaign region ?

curufea
06-03-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm only a new member, but there is a co-operative fantasy roleplaying worldbuilding project currently occuring for the Fantasy Hero System that I'm involved with. It's a generic system able to simulate any genre of fantasy. The project is concerned with the tropes of the genre and making a generic setting and could well do with a look by members of this project.

The thread on the project is here- http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73066

The wiki set up by the creator of the project (Killer Shrike) is here-
http://www.killershrike.info/MainPage.ashx

Korash
06-04-2009, 01:27 PM
This does sound like a good idea. I would suggest that it not run IN the CG, but beside it. Maybe on another site linked to it. Another part of the Alliance maybe?

I am not sure if that is what you have in mind RR, or how much work that would take to set up, but that that is what I was getting from the intro.

Like the idea, like I said, but not too sure how much time it will take up. I am also on a time budget.

Midgardsormr
06-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Heres a question to throw out there... is anyone currently using the CWBP as a campaign region ?

Not currently, but I have been toying with the idea of transitioning my current 4e game into the plotlines I was building up in Groam before Real Life caught me in its net.

I wouldn't mind playing in a forum-based game based in Ansium, though I certainly don't have the time or energy to GM. And it might even, as you think, induce me to make a map or two.

Your proposed decision system is interesting and similar to the informal process I used in my first successful PBeM. I don't know that I ever thought about it quite that deeply, but it's essentially what we were doing.

Play by Post does tend to go really slowly, but setting a time limit on taking actions does wonders to prevent analysis paralysis. I had a policy that I would post no sooner than 24 hours after my previous post, but once I did, whatever was being discussed at that time became what actually happened. It encouraged everyone to be very decisive, since there just wasn't time for too much dithering about options.

Nowadays, 24 hours is probably too fast a schedule for most people around here. I'd say something on the order of the GM posts turns twice a week is good. Or weekly if it's a heavily narrated game.

If you want a look at a very well-executed PBeM I once participated, cruise by here: http://www.cityofveils.com/pbem/ It was unfortunately very short-lived, but while it was going on, it was one of the best I've ever encountered. I played Reidjai.

RPMiller
06-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm only a new member, but there is a co-operative fantasy roleplaying worldbuilding project currently occuring for the Fantasy Hero System that I'm involved with. It's a generic system able to simulate any genre of fantasy. The project is concerned with the tropes of the genre and making a generic setting and could well do with a look by members of this project.

The thread on the project is here- http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73066

The wiki set up by the creator of the project (Killer Shrike) is here-
http://www.killershrike.info/MainPage.ashx

Hey curufea! Small world eh? Welcome to the Guild! I haven't visited the Hero Boards in any formal sense in forever. Life got in the way it seems. Anyway, just wanted to say hey. :)

Alecthar
06-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I have some experience playing in PbPs for 4e D&D, and I have to say it works very well. Now, that might not be the case for a more free-form experience (which is what it sounds like you guys are going for here), but I imagine that, depending on the system you choose, a PbP could work very well. One of the things I generally find very cool about PbP is that you get people who don't particularly like to RP when sitting at a table with other people, but being able to type out your speech and actions removes some of the embarrassment factor from saying things like "forsooth!" and whatnot.

Redrobes
06-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for that. I dont have any preplanned ideas about what style to go for. I was looking for experience from others about what works. I would be cool with a free form style tho but I could imagine that others might want a more rigid - by the book approach.

I was estimating making a statement per day or so with a sort of pace of about a room per week kind of thing. Perhaps a touch faster but I cant see how it can be done unless you make statements every few hours. Would be good if you had this sort of thing running in your day job but I doubt that many people could do that. At a max I could make maybe three statements per day so if a player I might be able to move, attack and kill an opponent, choose and move to the next one and attack them in one day. Maybe I could pre plan to search the bodies and room afterward and hint at which exit to take too. All that is assuming the GM can keep up with that. Else as a GM I think that maybe one round of combat per day from the 3 statements to various people. Is this sort of pace normal ? Maybe the whole thing would be too slow. But how did people cope in a play by snail mail set up ?

Talroth
06-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Sounds interesting. The "Wants" Stack might work well enough to let it go with five or more rounds per day.

Another option that seems to work well is to do general story telling and character development in the forums, and then move to a VTT system one night a week for more traditional 'encounters' or combat.

This does kind of remind me of a project I had started back in first year of university. A VTT system with a programmable AI GM that could handle combat encounters from scripts listing the number of enemies, or even randomly rolling encounters. I should get back on that sometime, but i don't really feel like making a full VTT from scratch anymore.

Alecthar
06-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for that. I dont have any preplanned ideas about what style to go for. I was looking for experience from others about what works. I would be cool with a free form style tho but I could imagine that others might want a more rigid - by the book approach.

I was estimating making a statement per day or so with a sort of pace of about a room per week kind of thing. Perhaps a touch faster but I cant see how it can be done unless you make statements every few hours. Would be good if you had this sort of thing running in your day job but I doubt that many people could do that. At a max I could make maybe three statements per day so if a player I might be able to move, attack and kill an opponent, choose and move to the next one and attack them in one day. Maybe I could pre plan to search the bodies and room afterward and hint at which exit to take too. All that is assuming the GM can keep up with that. Else as a GM I think that maybe one round of combat per day from the 3 statements to various people. Is this sort of pace normal ? Maybe the whole thing would be too slow. But how did people cope in a play by snail mail set up ?

In the 4E PbPs I'm in, generally a post a day is considered the bare minimum. Most make more posts than that, especially outside of combat. Combat isn't problematic so much as simply slower than other parts of the game usually are. RP between characters can go really quickly if the person you're talking to IC is online. Between NPCs it depends on how often your GM is online.

Combat is slower because, at least for 4e, you're bound by initiative order, so you can't act whenever you wish. Because of this you might find yourself waiting for a player to take their turn, or the GM to complete the combat update (where did the enemies move, what actions did they take, etc.) Many players find that a good way to make sure that combat flows well is to plan out their actions somewhat, a good strategy is to PM your GM the possible actions you wish to undertake, given certain happenings, and include the relevant rolls with that PM (we use Invisible Castle for rolls). The worst thing that can happen, then, is that the situation ends up outside of those predictions and you have to wait for that person like you would have had to anyway. Best case the GM says "so and so takes this action, next..."

Notsonoble
06-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I'd be up for this... but not as a DM mostly because lately that's all I seem to be doing :(...

I think the best way would probably be a combined play-by-post, and "Living Setting" setup... but remove the specific ruleset function from the "living setting" bit... This would allow people who worry about speed to simply arrange a VTT session and get things done... and people who can't keep some kind of VTT schedule to continue to contribute...

Feralspirit
06-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Well, the sinking game I mentioned above has sank. I am surprised there has not been more discussion in this thread. Do we have a ref/GM? The only fantasy format I am really familiar with is AdvD&D 2nd Ed, but I may be able to try something different (with a little coaching). Is there still interest/enthusiasm in pursuing this?

Korash
06-19-2009, 02:23 AM
in answer to your question FS,

"Hoist yer ale, ya scallywags, or by the Gods me sab'r'l be hav'n a drink of its own!!!" says the burly man through his flaming red beard as he waves his sword towards the rafters.

industrygothica
06-19-2009, 10:33 PM

Having not read past this post, this might have been answered already, but in my experience with pbp, the pace your are describing is nearly impossible. If everyone posts once per day, you MIGHT get one round done... assuming they post actions in those posts, and not just questions for clarification.

I recently wrapped up the first chapter of a game on ENWorld which took 24 hours game-time. It took us just over 2 years to complete it... granted, that was a slow game, but that's what you get sometimes if you actually want to be able to finish one. Otherwise people get burned out and want something new and different.

Just my two cents - now I'll finish reding this thread and see if someone's already answered you. ;)

-IG

Redrobes
06-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Crikey ! That's a lot slower than I imagined people would put up with. I mean, how satisfying was the playing during those two years then ? Was there a feeling along the lines of "for gods sake when are we getting out of this room" or were people happy to stay in that groove for long periods.

I guess I would be prepared to go a lot more loose and laissez faire just to get the pace up and would accept decisions being made on my behalf if they were approximately what my character might have done. I remember the old times with real face to face round real table and real dice. That got pretty slow at times and it doesn't get any faster than that.

I don't know what people want but I am getting the feeling that there's not a lot of interest here for playing. I don't think ill be putting any effort in to write tons of software to make it happen.

Edit -- I think ill echo FeralSpirits comment that it is quite surprising that there hasn't been more interest and posts. I agree that in the past it might have been terrible and slow but I think things really are different now. We have VTTs including free ones so there's the option of live running as and when to get past a sticky moment in the game. The broadcast ability of mobile devices and ubiquitous email esp in work locations mean you can get those updates more quickly than waiting for the mail man.

industrygothica
06-20-2009, 01:49 AM
The DM in this game is just that good. He's an artist when it comes to scene settings and descriptive text. Definitely worth the wait.

The game I'm running on ENWorld has been running for about two and a half years as well, though more than 24 hours have passed. Actually, now that I think about it.. not much more than 24. Maybe 48? Anyway...

I've thought about moving that game into the CWBP several times, and am working in that direction... just taking a bit to get it there. In any case, if someone here wants to run a pbp game, I'm certainly interested in playing. I'd be willing to DM a D&D 4e game somewhere, but I won't promise that it'll move fast.

-IG

Redrobes
06-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Thats good. So lets see, thats you, FeralSpirit, Korash (I think ! and with limited time), Talroth (maybe interested), NotSoNoble (as a player), Midgard (as a player). Myself, I would like to play but would consider GM too though I have not done a pbm type system and last GMing I was doing was 2nd ed AD&D. If I DM then I would go for a stripped down affair with less reliance on rules and dice. I can host pages and generate some interfaces to modify characters.

We have enough for one party so maybe instead of this being a big affair maybe we start with just a private group. Should I set up a web forum off my site and try to bootstrap this ? IG would you like to GM or shall I take the plunge and go for it ?

Midgardsormr
06-20-2009, 11:11 AM
That Rifts game I mentioned running earlier ran at a significantly faster pace. I ran it for about two years, and that was long enough to get through a fairly big campaign arc. Battles typically lasted three to nine days. The City of Veils was much slower. It only lasted a few months once I got involved, and I played, perhaps, five or six turns, but they only covered a little more than two days.

The pace largely depends on the style of the game and how much attention the participants can give it. If you're dealing with "Gimbal darts forward and savagely attacks the goblin with the gimpy leg" then it will take a long time to get through a combat. On the other hand, you can play it like "Gimbal joins the fray, laying about him with his pickaxe, striking at any goblin flesh he can reach." With that kind of approach, the GM's next post can tell about how Gimbal slew six of the goblins before taking a spear in the leg, and now what does he do?

The thing of it is, it's really difficult to satisfy both people who want tactical combat and people who want in-depth storytelling at the same time in a PBeM. Splitting battles off into VTT space might ameliorate that, though. I've never tried a game that exists in both spaces before.

I'll be happy to participate if you want to get the ball rolling.

industrygothica
06-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Thats good. So lets see, thats you, FeralSpirit, Korash (I think ! and with limited time), Talroth (maybe interested), NotSoNoble (as a player), Midgard (as a player). Myself, I would like to play but would consider GM too though I have not done a pbm type system and last GMing I was doing was 2nd ed AD&D. If I DM then I would go for a stripped down affair with less reliance on rules and dice. I can host pages and generate some interfaces to modify characters.

We have enough for one party so maybe instead of this being a big affair maybe we start with just a private group. Should I set up a web forum off my site and try to bootstrap this ? IG would you like to GM or shall I take the plunge and go for it ?

If you're giving me the choice I'd rather you take the GM role, though with you not having done pbp before, it could be considered baptism by fire. The first thing we need to do is decide on a rules system. No matter how stripped down i is, we're still going to have to have rules. I can do d&d 3e-4e, but any previous versions allude me. I've done a small bit of WoD, but never in a fantasy setting.

It might be best to start with something small--3 to 4 combat encounters and a few skill-based scenarios, just to get a feel for it, and make sure people are going to stick around. I don't think any extra programming will be necessary, just three separate forums; one for game play, one for out of character discussion, and one for character records. Anything more than that would be overkill I think.

-IG

Redrobes
06-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Ok ill set something up in the next few days - prob later in the coming week and see if I can get something up and running. Probably another forum similar to this but with members vetted and not advertised. I was hoping that I might be able to twitter the commentary so that the public interface is more a listing of the fixed history instead of the blow by blow posts, but maybe there will be a blow by blow twitter and a fixed history twitter, blog or something I dunno not having tried it. I'll DM a bit then and see how it goes. It will be D&D based but instead of rolling for every perceived skill thing it will have to be more woolly and taken on trust a bit. We can discuss the actual mechanics. We can try for some VTT time if we all feel like it or just stick with the posts. I expect ill host a number of images and maybe get a map server running for some of the time but not all unless I can find a way of getting it always on.

In terms of character sheets I think a wiki is the right way to do it. Since the characters are in the CWBP then maybe we could use that area for stuff which isn't likely to constantly change. I.e. put max HP in there but have current HP locally or on some more dynamic page. We could go for a full bung D&D 3e or 4e character but just not use most of it in game but use the stats as a means to guide decisions and keep balance to it.

industrygothica
06-21-2009, 10:22 AM
As I don't have a twitter account, I'd certainly hope you refrain from using it. I realize I'm probably one of three people left in the civilized world without one, but...

I couldn't promise any VTT time, as I never know when I'll be online or not, but I should be able to post often enough to satisfy a solid pbp game.

I'll also put together a short and sweet 4e adventure to run either after or concurrent with yours--I really think that's the best way to expand the world, to play in it and make it home. Will you be starting in your area of the Thrubmorten Fens?

Feralspirit
06-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Would I need a twitter account? Character sheet on wiki? Both of those are going to be a challenge for me, but maybe my 15 yr old can help me a bit. As I mentioned previously I am completely unfamiliar with DnD Editions 3, 3.5 or 4. If there are similarities to 2nd Ed I can probably figure it out. Nail down which you desire to use and I'll go hunting for a character sheet. If I can find a character sheet with a few sample characters I'll be able to muddle my way through.

Korash
06-21-2009, 12:32 PM
I think that, in order to keep the play flowing, a trimmed down version of the character sheet would be recommended. Regardless of the system that is being used, not every thing on that sheet will be useful in a play by post game. (understand that I have never played on, but am just stating an uninformed opinion) With actions being determined by the GM as to how well the actions are performed, instead of dice rolling, only general ability ratings are required. Do the stats and stuff, but then add statements as to what level the character is at for various skill groups: "Vatan is a 5th level fighter with a lot of experience living off the sea. His stats are blah blah blah, and he is very good at handling boats, surviving on the sea (fishing, finding his direction on the sea)
and can swim quite well. He is only learning to ride, and has no real clue how to deal with people who do not deal with boats in some way." As an example.

Anyhoot gotta go. back later

Ascension
06-21-2009, 04:35 PM
What's twitter? NM, if it's like facebook then I don't have any of that junk either. Who cares when I'm sleeping other than me?

waldronate
06-22-2009, 09:50 AM
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Twittering-Office-Chair/ is the best use of twitter I've ever seen (and perhaps the best illustration of the true power of this technology).

Midgardsormr
06-22-2009, 11:23 AM
With actions being determined by the GM as to how well the actions are performed, instead of dice rolling, only general ability ratings are required. Do the stats and stuff, but then add statements as to what level the character is at for various skill groups:

That's essentially the basis of the Fudge game system, which was designed with play-by-post in mind. http://www.fudgerpg.com/fudge.html

A trait is given a descriptor word rather than a number. So instead of saying "I have Broadsword: 5," you'd say "I am a Great swordsman." It solves the problem of sorting out whether or not 5 is good, and it allows the mechanics to be expressed in the narrative without disrupting it too much.

It does require a bit more front-end work by the GM, though, since it includes no world information (monster stats, etc).

Redrobes
06-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Back from being away for a bit... I have never used Twitter as really I cant see the point of letting people know exactly whether your eating a single patty or double patty whopper and whether you super sized it etc. It all seems like a pointless bit of tech unless your life is brim filled with interesting stuff like some pop star. Still, as far as I can tell you can get your tweets via email, mobile and on a web page and you can also send them with a diverse set of stuff inc mobile devices too. So if your on email then it seems to me (unless I am mistaken) that you can get a twitter account, do nothing with it but sign up for interest in the party log and then all the party updates come through via email. I could email them directly but it allows other lurkers to hitch a ride if they so wish. Its basically solving the broadcast issues for us. If someone doesn't get email at work but does have a mobile then they can be in on it.

The Wiki is very simple. In fact the CWBP is run off a Wiki and IG is main gate keeper to it. Its like making up a web page but instead of all the finicky html coding, all of that is dispensed with and there are a few much simpler codes to remember, most of which you don't even need. So having a simple character sheet is really simple. You go into the wiki, click on "edit this page", change your HP, Stats, Items being carries or number of arms when one gets lopped off and then hit save page and its all done. A wiki is basically a web page that contains some current information. Its better than a forum because as forum entries get old they fall off the bottom but some information is true no matter how old it is. In those situations you need a wiki.

For a character sheet I think we should roll up or use some method of getting your 6 basic ability scores. We should discuss a starting location which as you guessed, if I were GMing, would be somewhere in Thrubland. Make everyone human or possibly halfling and start as hardy peasants who get roped into something adventurous. I.e. we can skip all the skills and stuff until a bit into it so we can rough out how were going to do it more than worrying about character abilities and bonuses. Perhaps beginnings would deal with doing something non monstrous in task and bring that in after a short while. Lets start small. I havent GM'ed for ages, I have never done or GM'ed a PBM type game either so its daunting for me too.

And the office chair... that seems to typify the level of uselessness that Twitter seems to aim for. Its like the guys at MIT or Cornell or something who put a web server in the coke machine so they didnt have to walk down the corridor to see if its out of cans...

EDIT -- I think Korash has the kind of style id aim for. Very loose and Midgards idea of wordy rather than numeric descriptors is right up my street too. The result needs to read like a book we all made up rather than a wargame journal. Just use some D&D to frame it all so that it balances a bit.

industrygothica
06-23-2009, 12:07 PM
EDIT -- I think Korash has the kind of style id aim for. Very loose and Midgards idea of wordy rather than numeric descriptors is right up my street too. The result needs to read like a book we all made up rather than a wargame journal. Just use some D&D to frame it all so that it balances a bit.

Then I might suggest the the bulk of the discussion concerning tactics and such go into an Out of Character post, so that the actual game thread can be filled with a cohesive game narrative hat won't be broken up with chatter that doesn't belong. Then, when it's all said and done, we should have a pretty solid story suitable for publishing somewhere on the site.

Speaking of running games, does everyone here have access to the DDI character builder demo? The demo version makes characters up to 3rd level--for when I run my 4e game in Ansium somewhere.

-IG

Korash
06-23-2009, 01:11 PM
I did at one point, but not here at work. I know I cleaned out my comp a while back so not too sure that I still have it. Will check when I get home and upload if I can.

Redrobes
06-23-2009, 03:04 PM
I reckon there should be this mutable very near history and the 'now' and then a separate list for what characters would like to happen and then there is a list of entries for the fixed history - too late to change. That bit should be the one that reads like a book. All the characters chatter on the now and occasionally change the near past. They also need to maintain the future wish list from very near future which is quite clear to the far flung when it all gets very fuzzy.

Feralspirit
06-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Link (http://www.wizards.com/download.asp?filename=700_DDI_CB.exe) to DDI Character Builder Demo.

D*****, spoke too soon. Have downloaded the program, I can't get it to run.

Boy, that would have saved me. Being completely new to 4e system, an automated character generator sounded perfect. Anywhere else I can try?

Found this character sheet (http://www.pathguy.com/cg4.htm), but it seems impossible to navigate. :x My participation may have to wait until I can acquire 4E Player's Hand.

industrygothica
06-24-2009, 09:48 AM
I reckon there should be this mutable very near history and the 'now' and then a separate list for what characters would like to happen and then there is a list of entries for the fixed history - too late to change. That bit should be the one that reads like a book. All the characters chatter on the now and occasionally change the near past. They also need to maintain the future wish list from very near future which is quite clear to the far flung when it all gets very fuzzy.

Huh?

Link (http://www.wizards.com/download.asp?filename=700_DDI_CB.exe) to DDI Character Builder Demo.

D*****, spoke too soon. Have downloaded the program, I can't get it to run.

Boy, that would have saved me. Being completely new to 4e system, an automated character generator sounded perfect. Anywhere else I can try?

Found this character sheet (http://www.pathguy.com/cg4.htm), but it seems impossible to navigate. :x My participation may have to wait until I can acquire 4E Player's Hand.

I dunno... if you want basic, just tell me what you're shooting for and I can autogenerate something for you. Then you can just add the fluffy bits. It's a fantastic piece of software, really.

-IG

Korash
06-25-2009, 01:14 AM
yup, I have the demo and setup, but it is copyrighted. don't think that it should be posted here because of that. I also found out that PMs don't allow attachments ;) Sorry guys

industrygothica
06-25-2009, 05:14 AM
yup, I have the demo and setup, but it is copyrighted. don't think that it should be posted here because of that. I also found out that PMs don't allow attachments ;) Sorry guys

Did you think that I was asking you to upload the character builder here? If so, I wasn't, as I've already got the fully registered version. I just wanted to know if other people had it so they could make 4e characters easily.

Talroth
06-25-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of the options in 4e compared to what is there in 3.5, but oh well.

I'm somewhat thinking of stir crazy stone dumb, charismatic halfling paladin who prays to a god no one else knows, but somehow his spell abilities still work,...

industrygothica
06-25-2009, 10:50 PM
I took the liberty of putting up some forums for us on my website to use, if anyone wants to. It's nothing fancy, but it'll get the job done.

Link (www.fallstown.org/rpg)

-IG

Talroth
06-25-2009, 11:20 PM
The only issue I see with your site is the right hand bar is kind of a waste of space for the forums. Head banners work far nicer on forums than side bars.

industrygothica
06-25-2009, 11:28 PM
The only issue I see with your site is the right hand bar is kind of a waste of space for the forums. Head banners work far nicer on forums than side bars.

Agreed - I just couldn't find another template that I liked, and I don't feel like creating my own.

I'll keep looking for something a bit more suitable. Thanks for the input.

-IG

Feralspirit
06-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Very cool, IG. Sorry about not being very familiar with Ansium, is Kunena the name of the region where you will begin play?

lol, just clicked on the link, I guess not.:oops:

Oh, regarding your offer to generate a character, the character sheet I found is intrigueing enough to motivate me to get a player's hand. I'd like to learn the system for myself. Thanks anyway.

industrygothica
06-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Very cool, IG. Sorry about not being very familiar with Ansium, is Kunena the name of the region where you will begin play?

No. Actually, it's the name of the forum module. I should probably change that. Really, I just threw this thing together, so there are probably still quite a few kinks to work out.

-IG

töff
06-26-2009, 01:42 AM
*drool*

I wish I had the time to get involved :(

industrygothica
06-26-2009, 12:21 PM
I found a new template, I think this one works tons better.

I will do a low-level 4e game there, probably centered in and around the Witchlight Strand because obviously I know that area the best. I can do it before, during, or after Redrobes's game, doesn't matter to me really.

If Arcana would rather us do Ansium-based games here on the CG, that's more than fine with me--just set up the appropriate message forums. Otherwise we'll take the game (only) elsewhere, and provide all the appropriate links back here to the CG.

-IG

Redrobes
06-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Cool IG. I signed up but cant log in yet. The template seems the same for me at mo.

From the conflab over this with CL's etc I think the consensus was to keep the site for mapping and have any games running along side the site but not in the site. I reckon that notable characters could be in the wiki tho and obviously we want the maps posted here too.

Not having played a PbP type game I have no strong ideas about character sheets, how much stats to use, whether its 4e or 3 or some super cut down version. Id like to play first to get the idea of how to implement the posting bit of it but ill GM and wing it if need be. If we need some tools, web page forms or whatever being written then I can do that.

industrygothica
06-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Cool IG. I signed up but cant log in yet. The template seems the same for me at mo.

From the conflab over this with CL's etc I think the consensus was to keep the site for mapping and have any games running along side the site but not in the site. I reckon that notable characters could be in the wiki tho and obviously we want the maps posted here too.

Not having played a PbP type game I have no strong ideas about character sheets, how much stats to use, whether its 4e or 3 or some super cut down version. Id like to play first to get the idea of how to implement the posting bit of it but ill GM and wing it if need be. If we need some tools, web page forms or whatever being written then I can do that.

Give me some time then and I'll put together a 4e game. For those interested who've never played 4e before, give me an idea of what kind of character you want and I'll generate something for you and give a brief overview of how it works. I've you've played 3e, then it's not that much difference, really. If you've never played either, then I'm not sure I can help you. At least not quickly.

I'll take 5 to start, and if there's not enough interest here, I'll recruit from my group at ENWorld...they're always up for more. Don't think that'll be an issue though.

All that being said, there's room for more than one game, if anyone wants to do something simultaneously.

-IG

Redrobes
08-01-2009, 11:30 PM
I have just updated the overview map and put all the cities on it that I could find. Most of them are so small in the scale of the region that they are not visible in the overview but one or two regional maps show up a little bit.

What I was wondering was whether I should put the campaigning groups on the map too and how big a star or whatever should I use. Big enough to show up on the overview ?

Korash
08-02-2009, 12:37 AM
That sounds like a neet idea RR. As for size, not that it matters ;), is there a way to put them at a fixed size say a 1/4 inch on all of the maps concerned. Maybe a bit smaller but just putting something out there.

Koor
08-09-2009, 02:54 AM
Ok, just saw this post. I've been dying for a good rpg, yet couldn't seem to meet the demands on the PbP rpg boards when I gave that a try. I work third shift and sleep during the day (EST), so when I'd log in at work, would discover the DM had advanced the plot without me, since he did multiple moves a day.

I'd be interested in jumping in on this at some point, if you have any space. I played through 3.5e, have a players guide for 4e but havent had a chance to play. For some reason nobody in indiana plays tabletop rpgs...

Steel General
08-09-2009, 09:39 AM
For some reason nobody in indiana plays tabletop rpgs...

Really? There used to be quite a few where I live (Ft. Wayne), but since I don't play anymore I'm not sure if they are still going.

Koor
08-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah.. since I moved back to Indiana the only use my books and dice have had was when I periodically pull them out and cry over their lack of use.

I should probably get them some plastic covers..

industrygothica
08-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Ok, just saw this post. I've been dying for a good rpg, yet couldn't seem to meet the demands on the PbP rpg boards when I gave that a try. I work third shift and sleep during the day (EST), so when I'd log in at work, would discover the DM had advanced the plot without me, since he did multiple moves a day.

I'd be interested in jumping in on this at some point, if you have any space. I played through 3.5e, have a players guide for 4e but havent had a chance to play. For some reason nobody in indiana plays tabletop rpgs...

Give the game a once-over to see if it's something you're interested in. We've only had the one encounter so far, so it shouldn't be too difficult to add another party member. 4e encounters are incredibly easy to adjust in that respect, so it's all good.

industrygothica
09-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Got an opening that just came up in the game if anyone is interested.

Redrobes
10-07-2009, 09:23 AM
May I bump this thread. Were still a player down at mo...

industrygothica
10-07-2009, 04:13 PM
May I bump this thread. Were still a player down at mo...

Please do. When I get a steady internet connection back, hopefully in a week or so, I'll move the game to EN World.

-IG

industrygothica
10-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Ok, the game is officially moved to EN World. The thread is located here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/talking-talk/266850-d-d-4th-edition-igs-witchlight-strand-recruiting-sort.html), for any who are interested.