PDA

View Full Version : Artheane

Ascension
06-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Well this one is done, not much to say about it other than it served its purpose of experimenting, tweaking, and trying out some variations in my secret lab. The mountains didn't come out how I had hoped so I still have some work to do there and the for the fonts I really wanted to stay away from the usual gothic feeling and went art nouveau. If you want to use it for a personal campaign then go right ahead, I can't really stop ya :) just don't claim that you made it, as I think this is one of my nicer maps. If anyone wants an unlabeled version then I'll put one up in the WIP thread. I had fun with it and I think it came out okay and that's all that matters, isn't it? Enjoy.

TheRedEpic
06-02-2009, 11:48 PM
I think its really great, i wonder if there is a more of a market for more "realistic" type maps like this one as opposed to very stylized maps. I love the color pallet, though the water might benefit from a distinction of "the deeps" and the "the shallows". Just my two cents, good work, keep it up:)

philipstephen
06-03-2009, 12:45 AM
This map is actually my favourite of all the maps I have seen on Cartographers' Guild - and I have been blown away from some immense talent...

I would say you are onto something very good here... and I would love to figure out how to emulate the style a bit more...

I think something like this is ultimately what I am after with my map for my rpg campaign and novel about the world of Estea.

Fantastic job!

Phil

Eilathen
06-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Wow, i really like this one. A unique style you have there, Ascension. Rep'd!

Steel General
06-03-2009, 06:08 AM
One word... Ascendant! :) *BONK*

Sigurd
06-03-2009, 08:27 AM
I like the trench in the south western desert.

Its a really good example of a 'photo realistic' style but I don't know how realistic it really is. At this scale and distance its seems like there is too much detail.

Looks like a good experiment though. Would be a great map style for a steampunk adventures.

Have some rep.

jfrazierjr
06-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Great map!!! Personally, the country dividers get in the way of me seeing the detail of the map, but I can always go back to the WIP to get an unobstructed view.

The one thing that really "wow"ed me about this map though(this will seem kind of silly to some) is the raised lettering. This reminds me of old school topo maps, and I really love the effect (now, if only we could get the mountains to do the same thing...)

Ascension
06-03-2009, 05:18 PM
The raised letters was something that I was shooting for, sort look like it was molded plastic. The pic below is my settings for the layer style. Not much to shout about until the secret ingredient was added...I duplicated the layer. :) Since I use a lot of blending modes this duplicate layer combined with the lower layer and gave it more contrast with the emboss shadow and the light sand turned kind of white since it is set to screen, the terrain shows thru ever so slightly and gives the lettering a bit of rumpledness.

Turgenev
06-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Sweet! That is a truly inspirational map! I would rep you but I have to spread it around a bit more. ;)

Arkm
06-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Very fine map. Color me impressed and consider it saved for inspiration.

knightvision
06-03-2009, 11:35 PM
All I got to say is .....Wow!!

Immolate
06-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Impressive work Ascension, love your stuff.

ravells
06-06-2009, 05:22 AM
Absolutely beautiful Ascension. This is one of your best in my book.

DungeonMasterGaz
06-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Pure class. Yet another superb map. What more can I say! Rep!!

Karro
07-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Absolute beauty... don't know how I missed this, but saw it linked as someone else's inspiration and had to find the thread and comment. So... apologies about crashing the party after everyone already went home.

Anyway... the image I saw linked a few minutes ago was a B&W/antiqued looking version. I loved that too.

Your maps always blow me away, Ascension.

Ascension
07-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Hey, thanks, man. Better late than never :)

gtrlarry
07-29-2009, 05:15 AM
beautyfull map. i am curious as to what font you used and where you got. keep up the good work.

Larry

Ascension
07-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Oh, I used a bunch of them...I think that I listed them in the WIP thread.

AslanC
07-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Yet another masterpiece sir!

Bravo! :)

ritalee76
07-29-2009, 10:14 PM
That is simply beautiful :)

Ascension
08-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Karro, I couldn't find the thread where that antiqued version is but I did find a link:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14514&d=1246150120

Karro
08-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Karro, I couldn't find the thread where that antiqued version is but I did find a link:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14514&d=1246150120

That's good. Glad it's preserved in this thread!

lanceschaubert
04-08-2011, 04:45 PM
love the font!

Ryan K
04-09-2011, 03:21 AM
Absolutely beautiful :)

Hai-Etlik
04-09-2011, 04:59 AM
Very pretty aesthetically. It has that 'Photoshop airbrushed trying to look vaguely historical and like a satellite view at the same time' look; I can't say I'm particularly a fan of it, but you do it very well.

As a functional map I have a few criticisms though:

The projection/graticule is screwy. Measuring latitude from the equator is just a convention and a fantasy society might measure it from the poles instead (Hmm, an idea, a map where the graticule is labelled in something other than degrees), but even considering that, it's still off. The parallels are evenly spaced and straight, so it would have to be Equidistant Cylindrical, and your map covers a pole: together this should make for significant horizontal distortion, but your map doesn't show any.

The symbology is hard to read and interpret. You have a great deal of visual detail without the meaning being obvious. Boundaries between bio/physiographic regions are fuzzy and broken so it's hard to tell where one ends and another begins. It's not clear if all the green areas are just a generic 'temperate climate' or if the details within them are meant to convey further information. Also the rivers are rather indistinct and hard to follow in light regions. As a pretty background for a map of city locations and country borders, it's great, if maybe a bit distractingly overdetailed, and even then it'd be a good idea to have clearer rivers.

Port Paladine
04-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Truely nice map. I prefer the detail "eye candy" style in maps.

Ascension
04-09-2011, 12:56 PM
I wish you had mentioned that stuff 2 years ago HE :)

jtougas
04-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I just keep finding these older threads that are just stunning. Great job Ascension as usual :)

Hai-Etlik
04-09-2011, 07:03 PM
I wish you had mentioned that stuff 2 years ago HE :)

Sorry, didn't notice it was a necrothread.