PDA

View Full Version : My map so far.

Sacred.Stone
05-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Here's what I go so far. I'm scared it's too small though. I don't know how to enlarge it without making it look nasty pixelated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/thedreamwave/workinprogress-1.png

Sacred.Stone
05-24-2007, 08:13 AM
I would appreciate some feedback if you guys got any. :)

RobA
05-24-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm scared it's too small though.

Looks good so far!

Regarding the size the real question is.....What are you planing to use it for?

Remember (not to preach, but......)
[preach on]
The primary point of a map is to convey information (secondary, IMOO is to be "art").

So, answer these questions:
1) Is the map intended to be "in-game" or in real life?
1a) If "in-game" consider - who made it and why? who was it made for?
1b) If real life consider is it a player handout, or a DM reference, (or even not for a game of any sort...)
2) What is the map intended to inform people of? Is is a trade-route map? A map of kingdom territories? A religious map (i.e heavens/deities in relation to the world)? A road map? A map of resources? A navigation (sea) map? A military map? A treasure map?
3) Map style - modern, fantasy, historically "traditional".
4) Map "look" (media) - monochrone (or wood cut), coloured (watercolour wash, modern print, areal-photorealistic)
5) Media - print (what size)? web?
6) Map scale - local, city, region, world, or planet?
7) Following scale is the level of detail required.

Once you decide these, you will know if the size you made it is is appropriate :)
[preach off]

Remember, it is far easier to scale down then up (except for text), so consider making your maps as big as manageable...

-Rob A>

Sacred.Stone
05-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Oh. I figured out that I just had the compression set too high. I need to set it to a lower number to keep the original size. :)

It was basically going to just be a map for a novel I'm writing, but when I started seeing all this fancy stuff I got a little jealous. I still don't think my map is good enough. So basic. :(

RobA
05-24-2007, 10:51 AM
If you don't have the time to polish your skills, you could always post over in the Mapmaking Request forum (http://cartographersguild.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28) Someone might be willing to do one for you.....

-Rob A>