PDA

View Full Version : Continental Mapping - first try

Fluesopp
06-04-2009, 03:24 PM
So, after lurking around here for a little while, I decided to have a go at some cartography. After trying some tutorials on the page, I found none which really fit my style, and instead tried to do my own style.

I made the land in Fractal Terrains and exported it to photoshop as a b/w image. Then I exported the rivers FT proposed and overlayed them over a color image from FT. Using a thin pen with varying fade I traced the main rivers and added others where it felt natural, all the time trying to be true to the natural laws and such.

I'm aiming for a hand drawn type of map, and not a 'pseudo realistic' map.
But right now I'm a bit stuck at the mountains. I think I want some kind of hand drawn 'spike mountains', but I don't have a tablet so I don't know if I can draw them all.

Steel General
06-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Creating my own 'style' is a big part of the enjoyment I get out of creating maps, etc. I experiment with various techniques, etc. Keep what I like, dump what I don't. :)

I'm pretty sure someone created some photoshop brushes of hand drawn mountains. Take a peek in the Mapping Elements forum, you might just find what you need.

Fluesopp
06-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Ah, I'll drop down and check it.

I experimented a bit more with exporting and such, and found a better way of exporting the maps. (Right proportions)
So I did everything again, but this time I only traced the main rivers. As this is supposed to be a continental view, I suppose small rivers won't be added.

Fluesopp
06-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Added mountains and tried out a land texture. How does it look now?
And then I need some trees..

Steel General
06-05-2009, 02:25 PM
The mountains are nice... I'll hold off on further comments until you add more terrain features.

Gandwarf
06-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Looking good so far.
Two nitpicks:

- I would change the color of the rivers so it matches the color of the sea
- The drop shadow on the mountains make them look like they float