PDA

View Full Version : A Draft of Ilaros

Sular
06-06-2009, 10:01 PM
This map is a recent iteration of a map I've been working on for some time. It started as part of a collaborative world-building project that sort of disintegrated. However, I put a lot of effort into my region of the world, so I kept at it and began to develop a whole world around it. Any way, I have gotten a fair way though the physical map. I'm fairly happy with the overall shape of the land mass and some of the terrain, but any input on the map would be greatly appreciated.

Ascension
06-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Looks good to me :)

Steel General
06-07-2009, 09:08 AM
I agree with Ascension, very nice so far.

Sular
06-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the kind comments.

--

I am a bit blah about the mountains both in terms of appearance and some of the placement. However, I can't seem to put my finger on what is "off" with the positioning.

Also, the smallish desert in the south east along the coast, I am not sure it is a logical place for a desert.

Mulliman
06-09-2009, 10:35 AM
To be honest, I think this map is really kickass, both in shape and mountains and all that.

But yeah the desert seems kind of off-ish.

Weero
06-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I think I read somewhere that mountainranges tend to have lush terrain on one side, and arid terrain on the other. Don't know if this is correct, though.

edit: One thing I'm curious about, how did you get those cliffsides?

Sular
06-09-2009, 10:46 PM
I think I'll remove the spurious desert.

--

As to the cliffs, that I did with a simple bevel and a scattered brush (I modified the azalea brush in the special effect brushes in Photoshop)

Sular
06-10-2009, 09:45 PM
I've removed the desert, and added some of the vegetative terrain (forests, wetlands and the like).

These are by no means done and are fairly rough.

--

It occurs to me that some slight information about this place might be useful; especially the position of Ilaros on the globe.

Ilaros is located in the southern hemisphere, with the northern portion being equatorial and the southern portion ranging into the cool temperate regions. The coasts of the southern and central regions are fairly heavily populated by a variety of peoples, many of which are engaged in extensive maritime trade. I like the idea of a strong maritime focus which is, in part, why there are so many islands lurking about. That and islands are just fun to draw.

Mulliman
06-13-2009, 09:18 AM
The map is becoming more and more kickarse :).

ravells
06-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Looking very nice indeed! The lines of the mountains remind me of Clercon's work on this thread. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1734&highlight=Clercon)

In terms of suggestions, perhaps some noise or texture in the desert area (although I guess that's probably on your to do list already). The mountains look great at a distance but a touch blurry close up, the general formation and lines look fab though.

I really like the forest texture. Keep going, this is going to be a great map when it's done.

Sular
06-14-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm trying to think of a way of to getting the desert (and other large areas of somewhat bland areas) to have a little more color variation and texture. So far, not much has worked out all that well. However, I am pressing on.

I've done some edits to the map, some mountain sharpening, a few more rivers, and some tentative blending of the hills and mountains. Also, a tentative scale (the bar is theoretically a thousand miles in length) has been added.

Gidde
06-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Repped! This looks fantastic.

msa
06-15-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm trying to think of a way of to getting the desert (and other large areas of somewhat bland areas) to have a little more color variation and texture. So far, not much has worked out all that well. However, I am pressing on.

I know this is simple, but you might just try a layer of noise or clouds set to lighten, darken, overlay, or a variety of other effects. Sometimes just varying the color between two fairly similar shades of green will crease a very nice texture without breaking up the sense that it is a plain.

I think this map is very pretty, btw. I particularly like the sharp color differentiation between different terrains. Often, I prefer a more gradual change, but in this map it works very well.

My one thought on your forests is that they give the sense of being individual trees, which seems out of scale with the rest of the map. It might be better to fill them in instead of filling them with gaps. That said, I think the texture and look of them is very pretty.

philipstephen
06-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Your map looks fantastic! Great shape, flow, and detail!

I wonder if you have your mountains and their colour as a seperate layer from your background?

if so, you could blend your hills and mountains a bit more by playing with the transparency of the mountains. Or even introducing a transition colour around the edge of the mountains?

As it is, their shape looks great, but the contrast between their dark brown colour and the surrounding area makes the transition of tone seem a little sudden.

Just some thoughts.

Still, brilliant map.

Phil

Sular
06-18-2009, 01:31 AM
I've added a minor adjustment layer which give some minor color variance to the the whole thing. I'm rather pleased with the results.

As for making the mountains have a smoother transition, I agree that it needs to be done, but further blurring messes with the bevel to a large degree, and increasing the transparency looks wonky. If any of you have some points in that line, I'll give them a try. (For the record I am using photoshop CS3)

--

The northern portion of the map is causing me some small consternation as I am unsure what to do with the terrain up there. From a world-internal point of view, it's a fairly unknown region so I imagine it has some features that allow for this. Right now I am leaning towards a large Amazonesque forest, but I am not sure.

Alecthar
06-18-2009, 06:36 AM
You could cover it with fog and label it "Lands Unknown" or the like.

Steel General
06-18-2009, 08:30 AM
If you used layer masks and then used a lowered opacity/flow brush to unmask the areas it will produce a similar effect that you will have much more control over than with a simple blur.

Ascension
06-18-2009, 09:31 PM
What you need are some transitional hills. You have lots of hills but you need some hills that sort of follow the general shape of the mountains but extended further out and they could probably be done in a brown that's not as dark as the mountains. If you add forests then you'll cover those areas up anyways. So you could add like a ring of foothills around the mountains (or many little rings for that matter) or just add forests.

jfrazierjr
06-18-2009, 09:41 PM
As for making the mountains have a smoother transition, I agree that it needs to be done, but further blurring messes with the bevel to a large degree, and increasing the transparency looks wonky. If any of you have some points in that line, I'll give them a try. (For the record I am using photoshop CS3)

The key to that is to use multiple layers, with the bevel on a 50% grey layer set to overlay. Then, you can do again in a larger area but with smaller bumpmapping to simulate hills and so on...Add color on a totally seperate layer with just the color(either painted down, or using a layer mask that is somewhat blured.)

Sular
07-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Sorry for the lack of developments, and thanks to everyone for all the ideas. At the moment I am setting aside the physical map and directing my attention to the political map.

At present it i only partly done, and so far unlabeled as I am looking for an elegant method of labeling non-contiguous countries of which there are several.

cereth
07-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Very nice. I think it will compliment your other map very well. I especially like the "linen texture".