PDA

View Full Version : May/June Lite Entry: BlackWater

JakeWoods
06-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Just roughing out a region. Havent got any descriptions yet still a WIP..
So this is just a teaser...

Immolate
06-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Fair warning Jake, the contest ends on 6/10 which is Wednesday. The lite contests have been scheduled to go from half-month to half-month so as not to interfere with the big boys' and girls' contest. If you won't be ready by 6/10, probably better to hold off and pull the trigger on the June/July contest.

JakeWoods
06-08-2009, 03:09 AM
I know its going to be close but Im sure Ill get it finished in time. Better get back to work

JakeWoods
06-08-2009, 05:50 AM
Well this is the final product.
the text is a little rushed but I can come back to that later on.
Hope you like it..

Newer Version..

I regret that I only have a very old computer that is why I cannot
get the image size that I would like.

####Note Newer version posted later in thread #######

Gandwarf
06-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Now, that's what I call a nice map! It's like I am looking at Google Earth. Your coast, water and mountains are spectacular.
Like you I regret the size... it would have been very cool to be able to zoom in.

Can you share some information about how you created this map?

Unfortunately I cannot rep you as I need to spread my rep around first.

Steel General
06-08-2009, 06:17 AM
Well done...

Ascension
06-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Those forests totally rock. You have monastery spelled wrong though ;) swap the e and a.

Alfar
06-08-2009, 10:03 AM
I got your back, Gandwarf. Rep'ed for a beautiful map.

The river is pretty wide, I'd argue - unless it's a strait, of course... Or The Grey Mountains are kinda smallish. What's the scale here?

msa
06-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Can you share some information about how you created this map?

Yeah, I'd like to know how its done too. Did you lay the mountains and labels down on a satellite image? The water colors, in particular around the coastline, look exactly like a satellite image. The forests look a bit like satellite images too, but its mostly the water.

JakeWoods
06-08-2009, 03:37 PM
The process is as follows.

Create a terrain in terragen
Use terrain in vue add base textures lighting and trees
then photoshop
then some more photoshop
Here is the image just after vue stage

and here again midway through photoshop

JakeWoods
06-08-2009, 03:42 PM
The river is pretty wide, I'd argue - unless it's a strait, of course... Or The Grey Mountains are kinda smallish. What's the scale here?

I agree that the river is a little large and there is no scale that I have worked to here. It was all abit rushed to meet the dead line but Im sure that I can refine the image and post again later after the comp ends with some fine tuning but it will take time on my old pc.

I am glad to here you all saying that it looks like a satellite image as that was the result that I was trying to achieve. I am trying to make my maps look as real as possible.

msa
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
I am glad to here you all saying that it looks like a satellite image as that was the result that I was trying to achieve. I am trying to make my maps look as real as possible.

Well, its an awesome effect. I was sure you were using a satellite image as your base! Any plans on posting a step-by-step tutorial? It would be a great addition to the tuts section!

ironmetal250
06-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Wow how'd you get that epic coastline?

JakeWoods
06-09-2009, 07:51 AM
I was not completely happy with the final product and had some time to redo the text so here is tha final version Not sure if I have to change over the other one..

Immolate
06-09-2009, 09:06 PM
I like it. It's very visually stimulating. I just keep looking at it to see what other detail I've missed.

JakeWoods
06-10-2009, 04:52 AM
Any plans on posting a step-by-step tutorial? It would be a great addition to the tuts section!

I have thought about this and I will start working on one. Thanks for the suggestuion. I will hopefully have it posted by the weekend.

Gandwarf
06-11-2009, 12:20 PM
I have thought about this and I will start working on one. Thanks for the suggestuion. I will hopefully have it posted by the weekend.

That's going to be a great addition to this forum indeed!