PDA

View Full Version : June Entry: Assassin's Lair

Gamerprinter
06-09-2009, 02:38 AM
Not that I need to participate in nor have time for another challenge, the subject intrigues me. Plus, I seldom do hand-drawn encounter scale maps, I usually do that for regional maps. So as an experiment, I am doing a detailed lair of an assassin, all hand-drawn.

Life as a man-slayer is both lonely and secretive, especially for those who worship, Cerene, the God of Death. He follows no guild and is always in need of safe house to keep aside the tools of the trade and a place to escape when the authorities are too close.

The Amulet of Cerene is a pendant of thirteen jewels set in a curious pattern that actually depicts the layout of the Assassin's Lair itself. At the center is a ruby that represents the entry/exit portal to the actual lair, as life begins and ends in blood. Four square bloodstones surround that represent the halls to the outer chambers and manifests greater arcane enhancement to the Amulet itself. (Darkovian bloodstones of the CWBP).

Black diamonds represent the chambers beyond the ruby entry stone.

The amulet hangs from a gold chain worn around the assassin's neck. Bringing one's right hand to enclose the amulet, an activation word is uttered silently and one is immediately transported to the lair itself, disappearing from whereever one is, to an extra dimensional space located within the solid rock of a mountain itself.

More coming soon.

GP

Ascension
06-09-2009, 03:51 AM
Cool idea man.

Gamerprinter
06-09-2009, 05:50 PM
All I can get done tonight, got 3 commissions to work on.

The Chapel, the first of the nine chambers of the Assassin's Lair. This contains the statued altar to Cerene the God of Death.

More tomorrow!

GP

Lich
06-09-2009, 07:58 PM
I love the map and the idea! Well done!

Gamerprinter
06-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks, Lich!

OK, one quick update before I call it a night for this project...

I added the beginning of the dojo training chamber on the opposite side from the Chapel of Cerene. At the center I placed the Entry/Exit portal. Oh and changed the title font to the same as the Amulet of Cerene (its called Warlock).

That's it for now.

GP

MysticMagellan
06-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Very cool. Looking forward to the finished product. The only other comment I have is that I kind of liked the other font better. Warlock seems a little too "clean" compared to the rest of the hand drawn map.

Immolate
06-09-2009, 09:53 PM
I saw a piece like that somewhere in my stock pile... now where did I put that...

Here it is!

Just kidding. Your description inspired me.

Lich
06-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Personaly i like the new "warlock" font more i tihnk it's cleaner and i think that suits the writing of an assassin

Gamerprinter
06-10-2009, 04:33 AM
Both of you have good points on which is the best font. For now I'm sticking with Warlock, instead of "Elric" the other font, which is difficult to read. I might review this at the end and make a final decision then.

I got stuck on what to do for a training room, lots of possibilities like a combat dummy or punching block seemed less obvious from a topdown perspective. So I decided to work on the border, legend, room description.

Then it dawned on my that this is a highly magic strong environment, so why not an Illusionary Monk Combatant. A sometimes sparring partner, or practice for taking down a "mark". Notice that he's slightly translucent to give that "illusionary" effect.

I'll also place a weapons rack, archery target on the far left wall of the training dojo, to finish that off.

Oh, and in the Chapel, those two round things are incense decanter stone bowls. I opted not to place any "incense smoke" as I thought it would detract from clear view of the Chapel.

Before the end, I plan to place some illustrations to fill the dead spaces. An assassin's dagger between the two text blocks and a coiled garrote in the top left corner.

That's it for now. The room list should show what's coming up, and the room number guide is in the bottom left corner. Also threw in a scale describing chamber size, so one could easily use the floor stones as a grid, or easily convert to VTT without an obvious grid.

That's it for tonight. More tomorrow!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Lich
06-10-2009, 06:43 AM
neat stuff GP! I love how you detail the rest of the stuff and not just the assassins lair!

Gamerprinter
06-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Trying to squeeze in a couple of chicken scratch drawings while at work. I've added a bed for the private quarters, room 9, and I created a lab table for the manufacture of poisons in the equipment room.

Added a target and weapons rack in the training room.

That's it for now!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gandwarf
06-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Have some rep Gamerprinter. This is turning into one of your better maps I think. Cool layout, very atmospheric, nice pick of fonts.

Gamerprinter
06-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks, G! You knocked over 400 rep! Glad you like the entry.

GP

Lich
06-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks, G! You knocked over 400 rep! Glad you like the entry.

GP

Great entry again i have to go spread around my rep before i return though!

Gamerprinter
06-10-2009, 10:13 PM
This is definitely the last update to the Assassin's Lair today. Too much other stuff to do. However, I finished the personal quarters (even a private bar). I added a complete bath/infirmary, finally threw in the kitchen and dining room.

Tomorrow, back to the equipment chamber, the scrying and arcane device chamber, and the office. Dagger and garrotte illustrations and I can call this done.

I will provide individual map objects of the stuff I created for this map, once I am complete.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
06-11-2009, 03:00 AM
Finished the equipment/dressing room - I've got a wardrobe of costumes, I've got a vanity with mirror (note the mirror actually refects the vanity!) I duplicated some of the existing objects because they fit, though I changed color on the armoir. I created some doors. I had to rotate the dining room table as it was in the way of the bathroom door.

Maybe its too much but I wanted to emphasize the poison lab in the equipment room so I placed a hand-drawn spider I created for my Lair of Lhessadrak map. I matches the style of this map. I replicated it larger for some more decoration, but I'm might pull it, getting too busy.

Edit: new idea, I'm going to move that larger spider over by the Map Title, kind of a graphic for the Assassin - tomorrow though.

That's it for now!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
06-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I finally completed the map. I liked the spider so much, and I changed my mind about creating a garrotte, so I replaced that announced element with the spider and placed where I said I'd put the other.

Threw in an assassin's dagger, as I said I was planning.

The crystal ball in the Scrying & Arcane Vault came out pretty cool, I think.

Tomorrow, or later tonight, I will upload all the individual map objects for this map and be completely done.

Good luck to everyone else, I had fun with this one. Thanks for the comments.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
06-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Beautiful work GP!

Lich
06-11-2009, 09:29 PM
very very very nice!

jfrazierjr
06-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Very nice work.

oh yea.... 8 black diamonds....

Gamerprinter
06-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks guys. As promised all the map symbols saved as 100 ppi PNG with alpha, all placed into a Zip for you!

Enjoy!

GP

Gandwarf
06-12-2009, 05:54 AM
I agree with the others, very nice work. The style of the different objects is really cool.

Map Vandal
06-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Absolutely Amazing!

Gamerprinter
06-12-2009, 06:01 PM
oh yea.... 8 black diamonds....

Doh! I just figured out what you meant. Changed the nine black diamonds to eight.

Also for some reason, the table under the scrying ball was supposed to be purple, but it looks awfully pink to me. So I tweaked that...

This should be it though.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
06-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Interesting, some small publisher offered me money to purchase the Assassin's Lair for their setting, but since I intended this as a magic item and extra-dimensional location for the CWBP, I said no - its not for sale.

Just so you know, I am a pro mapper. I do commissions for publishers, but of my existing work, in general, they are not for sale. I will do specific maps based on needs of a publisher. But of the maps I create for practice or participation in the Guild, none are for sale.

I will only do new maps for commissions. Just had to say that.

GP

ravells
06-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Wow! I don't know how I missed this - absolutely stunning work, GP!! I love the ideas and design behind it too. Truly remarkable.

Aegeri
06-14-2009, 10:45 PM
That map is absolutely excellent and I've thought of a use for it in one of my Eberron campaigns already. It fits with the concept I had for the game perfectly.

msa
06-15-2009, 05:11 PM
I think the map is very nice, with good quality symbols and a nice color scheme. But what really puts this over the top for me is the additional information, like the key, background, image, etc, included in the image. Its a lovely and innovative piece!

My only feedback is that the desk in 5 and the weapon rack in 3 look out of place. The weapon rack lacks the fine detail, like cracks and imperfections, of the other items. And the desk (or maybe its a makeup table?) seems to have a different line thickness and a more cartoonish style than the rest of the piece.

Gamerprinter
06-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Good catch, those were more afterthoughts really. Regarding the Weapons Rack, I initially put in cracks and stuff, but the weapons hid much of it, and the weapons themselves are just "3D-ish" objects.

The make-up table/vanity. The makeup colors are rather bright, but I wanted to insure they were seen as different makeup rather than just anything else, the colors are a bit more bright than the remaining. Because all the stuff on the table, it was difficult to place detailed wood grain, although there is still some wood grain on it.

I might tweak the weapons rack, but will probably leave the vanity alone.

Nice catch, like I said, but those objects were more problematic.

Had I created the vanity objects and weapons separately, I might have been able to add more detail. Being busier objects, it was more difficult to do that.

GP

msa
06-15-2009, 07:14 PM
The make-up table/vanity. The makeup colors are rather bright, but I wanted to insure they were seen as different makeup rather than just anything else, the colors are a bit more bright than the remaining.

On the vanity, it was actually more the line style that caught my attention. The lines on the other items all seemed a little finer and more broken, with more of the patterns implied as the spaces between lines. On the vanity, however, every line seemed solid and complete.

Neither looks bad, by any stretch of the imagination, btw!

Still_Pond
06-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Brilliant idea, wonderful map. I love the hand-drawn rough line style and all the great details.

Gamerprinter
06-29-2009, 02:29 AM
Last bump for this map before it closes tomorrow - if Ascension remembers! :P

So I plan to place this into the CWBP as a mapped magic item. While I have no problem placing it somewhere in Calishem, is there anyone who wants to claim it? Within the CWBP that is? Since the Amulet of Cerene is an item with access to an extra-dimensional location, it truly isn't located anywhere on the prime material, however the Amulet must exist somewhere.

I think this might lead to a good plot idea for an adventure set in the CWBP. Since Calishem has never been mapped, and I have no time for that in the forseeable future, getting this item to be usable for a CWBP adventure, it needs to be in somebody's hands, or lost in some dungeon or catacomb someplace.

After voting is over, I'll place it in the Abandoned Maps thread, but remember this is an item, not a location per se.

GP