PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Mapping.

Hawk
06-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm so stuck with photoshop and creating maps, it's just one thing that stops me from doing it, and its the very start :twisted:
I dont understand this -
2. First off, letís set up the document: 2000 X 2000 at 300 ppi, rgb mode, 8 bit. Set colors to black and white. Filter > Render > Clouds ((pic antique 1)). Copy this layer. Create a new blank layer. Edit > Fill = 50% gray. On the layers palette, set the mode to Hard Mix, this gives us a black and white interpretation of the underlying clouds

When it says Copy This Layer, does that mean i just copy everything thats in that layer with the Rectangular Marquee tool and then create a new layer then Edit>Fill? = 50% grey. When i do that, nothing comes up in my new layer?

Please help a newbie out! :)

Ascension
06-10-2009, 07:45 PM
It means duplicate the layer. On the layers palette (not the image itself), click, hold, and drag the layer to the lil square within a square thingie at the bottom of the layer palette (there are some lil icons across the bottom; a black circle with a calligraphic f for layer styles, a gray square with white circle for layer masks, a folder for grouping layers, a half black and white circle for adjustment layers, a square within a square to create a new layer, and a trash can). I should really change that word one of these days.

Hawk
06-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Oh thank you,
I love your tutorials too! :)

ravells
06-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Or you could make sure that the layer is active and press ctrl-J if you are using a pc. That will duplicate the layer too.

Midgardsormr
06-11-2009, 11:44 AM
And if you have an active selection when you Ctrl-J, it will copy just that selection to a new layer.